I, Tonya | Page 32 | Golden Skate

I, Tonya

cmk

Rinkside
The 2 main rinks in the Portland area at that time were both in malls (Lloyd Center and Clackamas). The Clackamas ice rink no longer exists. The Lloyd center rink has been remodeled a few times (and shrinks each time). Mountain View in Vancouver, Was hadn't been built yet (where Tonya skates now).

Scrufflet

Final Flight
I have debated watching it. I don't like the domestic violence content plus I was alive and remember when all this actually happened.

My husband and I watched it the other night. He was scratching his head over it. I did not like it but felt, strangely, obligated to see it through to the end. Definitely NOT your usual skating movie! Too much violence.
It seems that there are two polar opposite views of the entire incident here: the first is Tonya is guilty and must apologize/redeem herself to the satisfaction of the public (for some that will be never) and the second is in your face "get over it", it happened, no apologies, move on. I think this movie leans to the latter category.
I felt manipulated with so many scenes. I found myself asking, did that really happen, what are you trying to make me feel? I don't like that, find it exhausting. That having been said, the acting was excellent.
Conclusion? I find that I just don't really care one way or the other about the whole Tonya thing. And I would advise Nancy not to see the movie!

saphire

On the Ice
My husband and I watched it the other night. He was scratching his head over it. I did not like it but felt, strangely, obligated to see it through to the end. Definitely NOT your usual skating movie! Too much violence.
It seems that there are two polar opposite views of the entire incident here: the first is Tonya is guilty and must apologize/redeem herself to the satisfaction of the public (for some that will be never) and the second is in your face "get over it", it happened, no apologies, move on. I think this movie leans to the latter category.
I felt manipulated with so many scenes. I found myself asking, did that really happen, what are you trying to make me feel? I don't like that, find it exhausting. That having been said, the acting was excellent.
Conclusion? I find that I just don't really care one way or the other about the whole Tonya thing. And I would advise Nancy not to see the movie!

I don't know. I know this incident and media circus was what attracted many to the sport, but it did the opposite for me. It turned me away from fs for such a long time.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
I don't know. I know this incident and media circus was what attracted many to the sport, but it did the opposite for me. It turned me away from fs for such a long time.
Understandable! I was a skating fan long before the incident and long after. I don't feel the need to relive the circus.

fenway3

On the Ice
I was just wondering—did Tonya have any close girlfriends at all while she was still competing? She's said that she had no one to talk to about the abuse she was experiencing (from both her mother and husband, I assume), so I'm guessing that she did not. Basically, I think Tonya should've been placed in a foster home at a fairly early age. If that had happened, she might've gotten a half-decent upbringing, and she likely wouldn't have dropped out of school. And then she probably would've never married Jeff.

Something else I was wondering—where is Diane Rawlinson these days, and are she and Tonya on friendly terms? I know that Tonya and Dodi Teachman are.

It's interesting—Tonya made a comment a couple of days ago about how she knew she wasn't very "dainty" as a skater. I thought that was kind of funny. :) And of course, male figure skaters never seem to worry about being "dainty," so I don't necessarily think that quality is an absolute necessity for female skaters either. If you are, great—but if you're not, maybe you have other amazing qualities that dainty skaters don't have, like speed, power, boldness, flair, personality, etc.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what her dancing looks like in a couple of weeks.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I was just wondering—did Tonya have any close girlfriends at all while she was still competing? She's said that she had no one to talk to about the abuse she was experiencing (from both her mother and husband, I assume), so I'm guessing that she did not. Basically, I think Tonya should've been placed in a foster home at a fairly early age. If that had happened, she might've gotten a half-decent upbringing, and she likely wouldn't have dropped out of school. And then she probably would've never married Jeff.

Something else I was wondering—where is Diane Rawlinson these days, and are she and Tonya on friendly terms? I know that Tonya and Dodi Teachman are.

It's interesting—Tonya made a comment a couple of days ago about how she knew she wasn't very "dainty" as a skater. I thought that was kind of funny. :) And of course, male figure skaters never seem to worry about being "dainty," so I don't necessarily think that quality is an absolute necessity for female skaters either. If you are, great—but if you're not, maybe you have other amazing qualities that dainty skaters don't have, like speed, power, boldness, flair, personality, etc.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what her dancing looks like in a couple of weeks.

There is an interview out there with a training mate of Tonya's who as a kid did threaten to call CPS on Tonya's mom as she has watched enough "very special episodes" to know that was an option. Their coach told her that if she did Tonya likely would end up in foster care and not be able to skate anymore. It seems skating was more important than not being abused. I can't help but feel that should not be how things work out.

Inessence

Rinkside

In Tonya's book she was friendly with Liz Manley. Liz noticed Tonya wasn't right during a tour they were on together and she confided in her. Liz also appeared in the on pro comp Tonya participated in back in '99 and gave her a big hug. However, recently on Twitter Liz complaining to DWTS that they're having Tonya on the show. So, I'm thinking their no longer on friendly terms.
I'm also not sure about Diane. She's still coaching at Lloyd Center, she just never speaks publicly about Tonya unless it's specifically about her skating. In Tonya's book, she was coaching at the same rink with Diane in the late 90s-early '00s. Tonya's only said kind things about her in interviews, but always from growing up and back in her training days and she never mentions the present.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think things have changed quite a bit since Tonya's time. I think people would be much more likely to call CPS today in a situation like Tonya's.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Arn't some coaches "mandatory reporters" these days?

This is a good question. When I was teaching during the 90's, we were required to report on anything we found suspicious. Some of these Parents saw Tonya's Mom smack her, cuss, and treat people badly. If that happened today, I'm sure Tonya's mother would have been banned from the association and possibly jailed.

fenway3

On the Ice
It seems skating was more important than not being abused.

Shocking, isn't it? You could actually call that abuse on the part of the coach.

In Tonya's book she was friendly with Liz Manley. Liz noticed Tonya wasn't right during a tour they were on together and she confided in her.

Thanks for the info. Do you know any more details, like what year that was?

However, recently on Twitter Liz complaining to DWTS that they're having Tonya on the show.

That's weird. It's not like Tonya is appearing on the Canadian DWTS, if there is such a thing. ;)

In Tonya's book, she was coaching at the same rink with Diane in the late 90s-early '00s.

Really? I thought Tonya's coaching was almost nonexistent.

Tonya's only said kind things about her in interviews, but always from growing up and back in her training days and she never mentions the present.

It would be interesting to know how they feel about each other these days.

I think things have changed quite a bit since Tonya's time. I think people would be much more likely to call CPS today in a situation like Tonya's.

That's good to know. Of course, it is possible to have a knee-jerk reaction to things, which isn't helpful. But in Tonya's situation, the abuse was chronic, so calling CPS probably would've been for the better. And even if she didn't keep skating, so what? Your mental/emotional health is always more important than a sport, no matter how talented you may be.

Inessence

Rinkside
Fenway3, I think it was Champions on Ice in the early 90s.

Tonya coached for awhile before “The Hubcap” Incident. She talks a lot about it in The Tonya Tapes.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Arn't some coaches "mandatory reporters" these days?

Coaches are mandatory reporters in Pennsylvania, but our law is super strict.

Due to the behavior of a coach :( (about the coach, not the amendment of the statute.)

fenway3

On the Ice
Fenway3, I think it was Champions on Ice in the early 90s.

OK, thanks, Inessence.

Tonya coached for awhile before “The Hubcap” Incident. She talks a lot about it in The Tonya Tapes.

I didn't realize that. So the "hubcap" incident spoiled her coaching career?

Incidentally, around 10 years ago, I remember Tonya saying that she had forgiven her mother. Was that in The Tonya Tapes? Anyway, now she's saying the opposite, so it's all pretty confusing.

cmk

Rinkside
She forgave her dad before he passed away from a heart attack years ago. I don't think she's ever forgiven her mother. The book said it was the long commute from wherever she was living to Lloyd center at the time, and a foot injury that she did have surgery for that ended her coaching career (lower level isi students). One of the girls quit skating to run track instead ( I believe she was the daughter of a track star). She now skates at mountain view , and can still do doubles at 47. I am looking forward to seeing her on dancing ( I would love an all-skater final 3 , I do think Adam will probably win). I'm not sure what happened with Liz- Tonya isn't taking her spot ( I assume there is a Canadian version but not sure). Its only a 4 week season so I don't see too many group numbers anyway. I am sure Tonya did some group numbers in her career despite people saying otherwise. Most club shows have a lot of group numbers with a handful of solos.

I do wish Rawlinson would talk though. Tonya does seem to be on good terms with Teachman though. After Golden's inside edition interview, there were comments by people claiming to be Tonya's brother and sister in law who seemed to think Tonya was doing the right thing by keeping LaVona away from Tonya's son. Apparently LaVona signed over this brother (and another brother) to cps so she could concentrate on Tonya. I think LaVona also lost Tonya's sister Gina to cps as well partly due to what Gina's job was (read the book).

fenway3

On the Ice
She forgave her dad before he passed away from a heart attack years ago.

What exactly did she forgive him for?

I don't think she's ever forgiven her mother.

Maybe it was during the Oprah interview, but I do recall seeing a clip of her saying that she forgave her mother. But she's not saying that now.

The book said it was the long commute from wherever she was living to Lloyd center at the time, and a foot injury that she did have surgery for that ended her coaching career (lower level isi students). One of the girls quit skating to run track instead ( I believe she was the daughter of a track star).

Thanks for all the info.

I'm not sure what happened with Liz- Tonya isn't taking her spot

It almost makes you wonder if she (as well as Elaine Zayak, who complained about Tonya a few months ago) is jealous of all the attention Tonya's been getting lately. ;)

I do wish Rawlinson would talk though. Tonya does seem to be on good terms with Teachman though.

That's pretty ironic, considering she dumped Teachman to be with Rawlinson. :)

After Golden's inside edition interview, there were comments by people claiming to be Tonya's brother and sister in law who seemed to think Tonya was doing the right thing by keeping LaVona away from Tonya's son. Apparently LaVona signed over this brother (and another brother) to cps so she could concentrate on Tonya. I think LaVona also lost Tonya's sister Gina to cps as well partly due to what Gina's job was (read the book).

I did a brief search on the book using the "browse" feature at Amazon, and yes, Tonya confirms that her mother had 3 boys and 2 girls. This is the first time I've ever heard that—I had previously only heard of Tonya's deceased half-brother. Where exactly did you see these comments after the IE interview? Were they televised?

So, she dumps some of Tonya's siblings (lucky them) to "concentrate" on Tonya. Well, I always believed Golden was a monster, but now it seems she's even a bigger monster than I thought. :shocked: What a nightmare it must've been to have a "mother" like her. :palmf:

cmk

Rinkside
Golden's Inside Edition interview was online. There were comments with the video .

yude

Record Breaker
You all won't believe this but the film comes out tomorrow in Japan, FINALLY :laugh: