2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Thanks. Very interesting.
So, we’ll be seeing other US names at the smaller international events, who are still on the ISP list. It always intrigues me which “no-name” will get the opportunity.

Maybe Amber, Caroline, Starr ??

Maybe Brynne McIsaac since she has a popular coach? RAF could help her get to US Classic?

I imagine Paige is not on the list at all.

Emmy Ma, since she has a JGP medal?

Has Caroline Zhang finished her career. Isn't 'she planning her wedding. Not that she couldn't continue skating. I think Grant retired. I fe A coupel both her and Grant were unfairly treated or often forgotten. A couple of years ago she was fifth at nationals and still not really treated with much respect. When she lost the pearl spin and was unable to rejig her jumps, the mule kick and her lack of speed it seems she left in the dust.

klutzy

On the Ice
Polina clearly worked hard on that comeback last year if you look at her summer performances and what she managed at Nationals in the short. She just didn't have the toe jumps to be competitive, but I really don't think that was a sorority issue--sounds like that bone bruise made her vulnerable to a possible fracture if she practiced too much--a bad situation for someone trying to recover technique.

Well, I guess we'll see if she shows up in the summer and fall.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I know I’m super late in asking this question, but why did Starr only get one JGP last year? It’s understandable that Emmy got two (she medaled at her first one) but Kaitlin and Ting also got two. Were the USFSA more impressed with their difficult tech content? (Starr was only doing a 3toe-3toe).
I’m asking because pretty soon the usfsa will start considering who gets a jgp assignment and I have no idea how they choose.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I know I’m super late in asking this question, but why did Starr only get one JGP last year? It’s understandable that Emmy got two (she medaled at her first one) but Kaitlin and Ting also got two. Were the USFSA more impressed with their difficult tech content? (Starr was only doing a 3toe-3toe).

Ting only received one JGP. Kaitlyn received a second because she had the second highest score of a U.S. lady in her first JGP. Emmy got a second because she had the highest score of a U.S. lady in her first JGP and medaled. No one else received a second because the U.S. was very limited with the number of spots. (I believe Starr's score at her first JGP was the third highest & next in line--just a couple points off of Kaitlyn's from JGP Brisbane).

Also, Starr was age-eligible to compete in seniors. So she received a Challenger at Golden Spin. She had the highest score of a junior age-eligible lady at U.S. Nationals and was assigned to Junior Worlds, but she chose not to compete there (and just to focus on Four Continents instead).

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Ting only received one JGP. Kaitlin received a second because she had the highest score of a U.S. lady in her first JGP. Emmy got a second because she medaled. No one else received a second because the U.S. was very limited with the number of spots.

Also, Starr was age-eligible to compete in seniors. So she received a Challenger at Golden Spin. She was assigned to Junior Worlds but she chose not to compete there (and just to focus on Four Continents instead).
Thanks so much! Wow, I didn’t have my facts straight at all😬

So, this year, are the US jr ladies spots limited again?

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Thanks so much! Wow, I didn’t have my facts straight at all😬

So, this year, are the US jr ladies spots limited again?

Sure. I also double checked the scores and edited my post above just a little as well. Emmy had the highest score at her first JGP and Kaitlyn had the second.

Yes, I assume the U.S. junior ladies spots are limited again based on the results at Junior Worlds.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Yes. They're not the top 3 countries in terms of placement at junior worlds (that's Russia, Japan, and Korea respectively) and those three countries each get two spots per each of the 7 JGPs. The US is the fourth country in terms of ladies' placement and so they get to send 1 skater to each of the 7 JGPs. So, there are 7 JGP slots. If the US does what they did last year, then many skaters (around five or so) will get JGP spots, but if they try to maximize potential, then only 4 skaters will get spots (3 get 2 spots and 1 gets 1) However, if Ting moves up, we won't need too many. If I was the USFS, here's what I would do:

Option 1: Ting remains as a junior for the JGP
Week 1: Pooja
Week 2: Ting
Week 3: Hanna
Week 4: Kaitlyn OR Emmy (depending on form of each at Champs Camp)
Week 5: Pooja
Week 6: Ting
Week 7: Hanna

Option 2: Ting moves up to seniors (presumably getting the SA host spot or some challenger events)
Week 1: Pooja
Week 2: Hanna
Week 3: Kaitlyn
Week 4: Emmy
Week 5: Pooja
Week 6: Hanna
Week 7: Kaitlyn or Emmy, depending on which girl gets a higher score at their first assignment

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I don't see them giving anyone a second spot until they have earned a strong score at the first event. (Plus, we have a whole summer for athletes to put their names in the mix as well).

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Thanks for the info!

If Emmy gets a triple-triple I’d move her up. No, scratch that: I’d have her move up regardless. For experience. She’s already been to senior nationals, junior worlds, and 2 jgp ‘s. Time to move up. But, idk....why does she get so frightened in competition?

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm not sure they need to give anyone two spots unless they're competitive for the JGPF or at least have a strong performance at their 1st JGP. Especially if there is another lady they'd like to get out there. I'd rather they spread the experience around and only give a second to someone who's quite strong in the first one. Hanna and Kaitlyn aren't old enough, but the others could also get a CS event for more experience.

andromache

Record Breaker
I would keep Ting in juniors for another season. She'll get buried in seniors, whereas in JGP events she has a greater chance to prove herself and get some reputation (she was very underscored at JW this year IMO). The added competitive experience will be more helpful to her when she transitions to seniors next year. Though she should probably compete senior at US Nationals. I think she deserves two JGP events, regardless of how she performs at the first one. She earned it with her JW performances last season.

Not sure about Emmy. I personally don't like the idea of a 17 year old taking a JGP spot from younger US ladies, especially given her most recent results. Give her a CS event.

Pooja deserves a lot of love. I'm very excited to see her compete in at least one JGP event.

I hope to see Kaitlyn have a better season. Last season was very dismal for her.

temadd

Final Flight
Pooja deserves a lot of love. I'm very excited to see her compete in at least one JGP event.

I was so impressed with Pooja at Nationals. Her choreography was not very complex yet I was still mesmerized by her long program. She has amazing presence on the ice and I hope she gets 2 GP assignments.

andromache

Record Breaker
I was so impressed with Pooja at Nationals. Her choreography was not very complex yet I was still mesmerized by her long program. She has amazing presence on the ice and I hope she gets 2 GP assignments.

Yes!!! And she trains under Ouriashev. He got Gracie and Tomoki Hiwatashi such great jumps, not to mention decent spins and skating skills (plus his work on Shoma's jumps), that I'm already hopeful that she is with the right coach/team for this stage of her career.

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thanks for the info!

If Emmy gets a triple-triple I’d move her up. No, scratch that: I’d have her move up regardless. For experience. She’s already been to senior nationals, junior worlds, and 2 jgp ‘s. Time to move up. But, idk....why does she get so frightened in competition?

Idk and i really wish she competed better, she’s a beautiful skater! I really liked her this year, and I hope she gets a triple triple!

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Oh! We’re all forgetting about Beverly Zhu! Novice champion. She’ll probably get a jgp spot.

Also, I don’t think that staying junior will help Ting at all. (Unless she isn’t age eligible) She’s not going to be a junior forever. Get some senior experience. You’re already junior bronze medalists and placed 6th in junior worlds.

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
Beverly I think does indeed deserve a spot! You're right, I forgot about her. Sorry, Beverly!
I don't think Emmy should be competing junior. And I think Ting should move up. But it means that she and Starr will have to battle it out for the SA spot. Actually, that's probably a good thing. Make them compete and earn it!

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Oh! We’re all forgetting about Beverly Zhu! Novice champion. She’ll probably get a jgp spot.

Also, I don’t think that staying junior will help Ting at all. (Unless she isn’t age eligible) She’s not going to be a junior forever. Get some senior experience. You’re already junior bronze medalists and placed 6th in junior worlds.

Ting should stay junior to help build her rep. She was 6th at her only JGP. She has the potential to medal or even make JGPF if she gets good assignments and is clean. She can go senior at nats but not internationally....

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
No, she can be a senior internationally too, as she's in the same age category as Alina

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Beverly I think does indeed deserve a spot! You're right, I forgot about her. Sorry, Beverly!
I don't think Emmy should be competing junior. And I think Ting should move up. But it means that she and Starr will have to battle it out for the SA spot. Actually, that's probably a good thing. Make them compete and earn it!

Emmy cannot stay junior; she can’t compete with the juniors doing 3A, triple-triples and quads.
OTOH...
Emmy cannot compete senior because she doesn’t have a triple-triple.

andromache

Record Breaker
No, she can be a senior internationally too, as she's in the same age category as Alina

She can but I don't think that means she should. She's still an inconsistent competitor and she's not yet old enough that it'll be completely embarrassing to have her lose to Russian 13 year olds. As a senior she will be buried, especially if she continues to be inconsistent.