Should minimum age for seniors be raised? | Page 37 | Golden Skate

Should minimum age for seniors be raised?

andromache

Record Breaker
The thing is that some of the skaters are continuing to grow the sport even after they leave. Yulia left competition at a young age but has already begun to inspire the next generation of skaters. She’s hardly left the sport. The link below features a skater who may not have even been born when Yulia went to the Olympics and yet you can see her inspiring kids like this all over with her new academy. Imagine learning from Yulia and then going home and looking up her amazing 2013-14 performances. That has got to inspire young kids.

https://instagram.com/p/BjMtMZQjqaW/

I think people like Yulia can use their notoriety they gain at a young age to grow the sport and themselves at the same time. Serafima still competes and the rumors seem to suggest she wants to represent France although she always seems to be in Italy so maybe we’ll see her in the Olympics one day too.

Sorry, my comment about the discussion of the looks of young ladies didn't really have anything to do with their ages or careers. I was responding specifically to gkelly's suggestion that "days of marketing figure skating as a sport full of beautiful young women for men to ogle should be long past" when I have specifically seen a lot of commentary on the beautiful looks of young Russian girls.

I then devolved into OT wondering about whether the popularity of the ladies discipline in Russia now means that figure skating is more or less popular than it was decades ago when there were pairs icons instead of ladies. I'm really just curious.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
I totally agree with you.
For example, it would be brilliant and symbolic if Trusova went to Olympics and landed her 2 quads there.

There are Youth Olympics for children.

Being an Olympian is ultimately a major pressure and responsibility that requires a certain measure of maturity and independence to handle. This is not to say that Trusova herself could not handle it (I'm sure she could, really), but I don't think anyone wants the sport or the Olympics to become dominated by children. In general, 15/16 year olds are going to be more mature and responsible than preteens. Preteens are going to be more mature and responsible than 8-9 year olds. The cutoff has to be somewhere.

Not to mention that child stardom has a whole bunch of nasty, negative effects on the child stars, and the fame that results from encouraging children to compete on the biggest international stage is going to have a negative impact on a lot of kids.

It's the Olympics, not Toddlers and Tiaras.
Won't Alexandra Trusova be age 17 at the next Olympics?

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
Won't Alexandra Trusova be age 17 at the next Olympics?

The reply prior was arguing Trusova should have gone to this year's Olympics.

By the way, thanks SamSkwantch for linking that compulsory figures video. I found it rather soothing. Like watching someone doing calligraphy.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
There are Youth Olympics for children.

And don't forget the International Children's Games for the younger children! :)

Sorry, but I do like trying to raise awareness of the lesser known competitions.

CaroLiza_fan

lesnar001

Record Breaker
The reply prior was arguing Trusova should have gone to this year's Olympics.

By the way, thanks SamSkwantch for linking that compulsory figures video. I found it rather soothing. Like watching someone doing calligraphy.

OOOPS!!!! :dumb:

I agree about the figures - very pretty.