Gracie Gold training for a comeback? | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold training for a comeback?

acapenci

On the Ice
I think it’s important to remember that her overall issues with pressure and performance were likely a result of what she sought treatment for. Presumably if she’s coming back it’s because she’s mentally in a better place. Add physical conditioning on top of that and she could potentially be a whole new competitor. The illness she was seeking treatment for did not spring up overnight. It was likely there for many years and therefore was impacting her ability to compete.

Me and many other people who have eating disorders can tell you how easy it is for these illnesses to creep back up on you, even after years of recovery. I just want Gracie to be safe and sound, and I don't think that she should return to the highly competitive training environment where her ED began if it will be triggering for her. That being said, i will support her whether or not she decides to compete or coach.

aml78

Rinkside
Me and many other people who have eating disorders can tell you how easy it is for these illnesses to creep back up on you, even after years of recovery. I just want Gracie to be safe and sound, and I don't think that she should return to the highly competitive training environment where her ED began if it will be triggering for her. That being said, i will support her whether or not she decides to compete or coach.

I agree. I didn’t say otherwise. I was simply reacting to the statement that her fitness won’t fix the whole problem.

I think people should give her, and her support team a little more credit. I doubt anyone is looking for her to put herself in a dangerous situation.

gr8sk891

Spectator
If she is going to compete we will see her soon. If she wants to get back on to the international events (Which I guess she will want to) surely USFS can’t give her a competition without showing she’s competition ready. Very surprised she chose where she chose and who she chose to train with.

Tutto

Record Breaker
If she is going to compete we will see her soon. If she wants to get back on to the international events (Which I guess she will want to) surely USFS can’t give her a competition without showing she’s competition ready. Very surprised she chose where she chose and who she chose to train with.

I still confused on what went wrong with Marina, at the start Gracie looked happy and I thought it was going to be a good fit but oh well we'll probably never know

andromache

Record Breaker
I still confused on what went wrong with Marina, at the start Gracie looked happy and I thought it was going to be a good fit but oh well we'll probably never know

My assumption is that her issues were too far gone at that point. Now that she is training again, she might have preferred a totally new and fresh start somewhere else.

And while it seemed like Marina was getting into the singles game two years ago with Nathan and Patrick, that has since changed. Plus, we don't even know what Marina is up to right now since Shibs are out this season. She's kind of lacking a top team or top anybody. Very unusual for her.

figurefan0726

Final Flight
If she does comeback, I was thinking that the USFS will let her get the host spot for Skate America and a Challenger Series. That was the exact same thing they did for Polina and she was gone for an year and a half.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
If she does comeback, I was thinking that the USFS will let her get the host spot for Skate America and a Challenger Series. That was the exact same thing they did for Polina and she was gone for an year and a half.

Polina never has competed at Skate America.

In 2016, she withdrew from Rostelecom and NHK. USFS originally gave the third Skate America spot to Angela Wang, who had to withdraw b/c of injury. Mariah Bell replaced Angela.

In 2017, USFS gave the third Skate America spot to Bradie Tennell. Polina competed at GP France.

As expected, Gracie was emcee for Skate It Forward. FWIW, none of the photos from Skate It Forward that I have seen give any indication that Gracie gave a skating performance.

(Does not mean that she is not working toward a comeback. Just sayin' that she does not appear to be performing in public (yet?). I wish her the best. :ghug:)

mrrice

Record Breaker
How is Gracie looking physically? Is she back in competitive shape? My worry, should she come back in less than top shape is that she'll blame a poor performance on weight instead of not being in top shape.

I've seen this happen with dancers before. They take break to deal with their problem and try to return before they've gained the necessary stamina needed to perform at a high level. This often leads to a relapse.

I wish Gracie had ended her competitive career on her own terms. I sure wish she'd skate in shows and continue coaching. I think she might find to be just as satisfying. Love her skating and I only want what's best for her.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Did anyone else see this inappropriate tweet from Icenetwork? :disagree: :rolleye: So glad they're shutting down...

https://twitter.com/icenetwork/status/1010159794601316358

Not only did I see it, I was one of the many who replied about how inappropriate it was. (And I tweet about once a month, so it takes something outrageous for me to do that):dev2:

I don't have an opinion one way or the other about IceNetwork, but I really could not believe the headline, the photos they used, and the blurb itself. Very disappointing:scowl::scowl:

andromache

Record Breaker
Not only did I see it, I was one of the many who replied about how inappropriate it was. (And I tweet about once a month, so it takes something outrageous for me to do that):dev2:

I don't have an opinion one way or the other about IceNetwork, but I really could not believe the headline, the photos they used, and the blurb itself. Very disappointing:scowl::scowl:

Honestly the photos they used are both gorgeous photos of Gracie and she appears to be of similar body shape in both of them (as far as I can tell, anyway, but I must be missing something). But the headline is sooooooooooo bad. And the blurb feels deliberately incomplete, at best.

I'm gonna go rewatch Firebird now. Glorious program, though it makes me sad to think about how much she may have been suffering even during her strongest season.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Those two pictures they used are awful and could easily be triggering for Gracie :(

Absolutely disgusting! How on earth could that story have made it past an editor? I have no doubt a post like that would have been deleted from GS and I would have been happy to see it go. Has it been taken down? I certainly hope they post an apology after seeing so many negative responses.

Eating disorders are not to be taken lightly. Some have lead to death and as a dancer, I know several people who had to leave the field in order to heal. There are so many good things about social media but this is not one of them. Even with a retraction, this story is out there and if Icenetwork weren't already ending, I'd call for a boycott.

franzkatka

On the Ice
Absolutely disgusting! How on earth could that story have made it past an editor? I have no doubt a post like that would have been deleted from GS and I would have been happy to see it go. Has it been taken down? I certainly hope they post an apology after seeing so many negative responses.

Eating disorders are not to be taken lightly. Some have lead to death and as a dancer, I know several people who had to leave the field in order to heal. There are so many good things about social media but this is not one of them. Even with a retraction, this story is out there and if Icenetwork weren't already ending, I'd call for a boycott.

It's still up :palmf:

mrrice

Record Breaker
It's still up :palmf:

If that story is still up it must mean that that site is no longer being moderated. If they've seen the flood of negative responses you'd think they'd have pulled it and posted a retraction. Just sad.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I regret Icenetwork is shutting down, even though I agree with the posters above on this particular headline. Yuck. On the other hand, they're only showing what was popular in the Icenetwork era, so presumably this was a headline that caught the attention of many people. like in advertising: it doesn't matter that you've got the worst spot ever, as long as it gets attention. And this article did, whatever the repercussions on sites like this one.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I regret Icenetwork is shutting down, even though I agree with the posters above on this particular headline. Yuck. On the other hand, they're only showing what was popular in the Icenetwork era, so presumably this was a headline that caught the attention of many people. like in advertising: it doesn't matter that you've got the worst spot ever, as long as it gets attention. And this article did, whatever the repercussions on sites like this one.

IMO, It got the wrong kind of attention and missed a huge opportunity to help young people everywhere. Gracie has already commented about her situation and where Icenetwork went wrong, (According to me) was not contacting Gracie for a personal interview on her struggle. Even if she had said no, they could have said that they "Reached out to Gracie for comment" that way it wouldn't look the hit job it does.

The figure skating community is not that large and if they'd done their research, I'm sure they could have found documented cases like Akiko Suzuki. I know she has written about her experience and maybe they could have linked an article about her and this could have been a nice final article for them. Oh well.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Saw Gracie Gold’s Instagram story and she posted herself at the gym....training for a comeback??

Hope Gracie manage to pull herself together to get to have a healthy heart and mind again... before anything else. There's more to life than skating.

Best of luck to her!

andromache

Record Breaker
Finally, some actual Gracie news!!!!!

She's slated to compete at Rostelecom. I'm thrilled but also terrified that she will withdraw, so I don't want to get too excited.