Nathan Chen and University: A Yalie? | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen and University: A Yalie?

Imov

Medalist
Coming from a different country, I am not familiar on how the whole University thing works in Yale or anywhere in America.
But Nathan is a guy reaching for his dreams, he is at the doorstep and kudos to him for working towards it.
He is still young and being a sportsman I believe highly disciplined, so his will is most likely over the roof.
Excited to seem him succeed.

ArenaWings

On the Ice
Wondering if he will have to choose only one of the two, Yale or figure skating, will he choose to skate?

Or maybe he can take off after finishing the first year.

Sorrento

Record Breaker
I've heard there is a strict rule that says all students have to live in campus territory during first two years of studies. He announced he's planning to take the academic leave for the next two years to get ready to the Olympics (after he had discussions with some advisers). I think this sounds good. Many things can change on this way, four years is a big period of time. But if the opportunity to study has come his way- it is smart to take it. He'll try to fit his skating into the studies and if it works then it works. If not- he'll talk to his family again and make a decision what's next. They are always there to support him.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I don't think it's a bad idea to sit out a couple of seasons and then ramp up his training for the next Olympics. He has dealt with a few serious injuries the past couple of years, and you have to think he can only put so much mileage on his body before he is unable to perform at the highest level.

ribbit

On the Ice
I've heard there is a strict rule that says all students have to live in campus territory during first two years of studies. He announced he's planning to take the academic leave for the next two years to get ready to the Olympics (after he had discussions with some advisers). I think this sounds good. Many things can change on this way, four years is a big period of time. But if the opportunity to study has come his way- it is smart to take it. He'll try to fit his skating into the studies and if it works then it works. If not- he'll talk to his family again and make a decision what's next. They are always there to support him.

Yes, all students are required to live on campus for the first two years. All students are assigned to one of fourteen "residential colleges" before their first year. Most students live with the other freshmen in their college on the Old Campus in their first year and in their college in their second; a few colleges have enough space for students to live in their college beginning in their freshman year. Nathan will have plenty of opportunities to meet his fellow first-year students and become part of a close community (about 400 students in a college in total, 100 students in each year).

Ducky

On the Ice

Yale is a lot more flexible than how most people are making it seem. I have a good friend who was originally accepted to Yale, decided it wasn't for her, transferred out completed her BA at another university closer to home and then a few years after that completed a BA in a different major at Yale. The world, like life, is weird and filled with twists and I'm sure that Nathan will be able to straighten it out to his liking.