2018-19 Russian Ice Dance | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ice Dance

sunn1ly

On the Ice
I didn't expected Loboda and Drozd to break up, I had high hopes with the coach change. Now I just want Drozd and Ilinykh to give it a try. The RU ice dance will benefits whatever goes out of it. Everyone will be interested of the new couple, there will be again Elena Nikita rivalry. Elena now has other things with her academy with Julia, but it will be beneficial for her as well if she has a good partner like Drozd even for shows, coaching. I will pay to watch them and many people will enjoy the drama. :)

moriel

Record Breaker
I do not see Ilinykh as some sort of universal solution and best thing that happened to russian ID and a person that should be paired with any decent skater that has no partner.
Whatever is her issue, it is not like I/Z were not winning everything just because Z was not as good. She has some good qualities, but she also has faults.
I wouldnt like to see any good ID partner to be wasted on her currently.

sunn1ly

On the Ice
I do not see Ilinykh as some sort of universal solution and best thing that happened to russian ID and a person that should be paired with any decent skater that has no partner.
Whatever is her issue, it is not like I/Z were not winning everything just because Z was not as good. She has some good qualities, but she also has faults.
I wouldnt like to see any good ID partner to be wasted on her currently.

I don't find Elena to be universal solution, I think and stated that it will be interesting pair that will draw attention no matter the results. Honestly I don't expect miracle of new partnerships and dont expect Pavel to have huge success with any partner in the years to come. But I don't understand why partnership with Elena will be waste compared with partnership with anyone else. On the contrary it will be beneficial for both of them. If Drozd want a long international career he should go abroad, the current pairs and the ones that are coming from juniors have far better chances than Drozd with new partner. And still think that if he wants to stay in Russia Elena is a good choice for career competitive and shows.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Well, russian teams tried zueva, cannot say the results were impressive.
There is this thing, it not necessarily magically works, and considering that dance is a long term return thing, and a season with foreign coaching will not do magic, it is highly unlikely they will ever try, because I highly doubt that rusfed is willing to pay for several years of foreign coaching to see if there will be any results.

TBH, if i was rusfed and wanted to spend money, I would try to convince either Shpilband or Zueva to move back to russia, by offering them $$$ and facilities and benefits. It is more expensive than sending a team or two to train overseas, but could be a better investment long term.

Zueva with Katsalapov is like no zueva at all. You have to be willing to be coached which katsalapov isn’t. He wants like an advisor.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Zueva with Katsalapov is like no zueva at all. You have to be willing to be coached which katsalapov isn’t. He wants like an advisor.

What I find especially lacking with their dancers is the lack of polish with respect to their technique and the just about average partnering skills of their male leads. If they could only address these issues they would be so on their way. But with all these retirements I do expect their stock to rise significantly.

Mattieu

Medalist
What I find especially lacking with their dancers is the lack of polish with respect to their technique and the just about average partnering skills of their male leads. If they could only address these issues they would be so on their way. But with all these retirements I do expect their stock to rise significantly.

Yes, I can see 3 of the Russian teams medalling.
It will also be difficult for S/B not to make the GP final.
So put that in your pipe gmyers, 3 Russian teams medalling, how can that happen when Russian ice dance is finished and destroyed in your opinion?
Don't bother replying, as I have you on ignore, :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
I think we should create a special thread for some poster here so that they can have their own outlet to express all the things wrong with Ice Dance discipline in Russia. I'm really tired of seeing the same bashing from the same posters every other day. Russian Ice Dance has enough peanut gallery experts already.

More on topic: I'm excited that Popova/Mozgov got 2 GP assignments. They have fire and I hope they can show their improvement and deliver. :hap57: :dance:

gmyers

Record Breaker

This is where having real ijs coaches would help! Not people like zhulin or kustarova and go to people for advice like tarasova and Tchaikovskaia!

Yes, I can see 3 of the Russian teams medalling.
It will also be difficult for S/B not to make the GP final.
So put that in your pipe gmyers, 3 Russian teams medalling, how can that happen when Russian ice dance is finished and destroyed in your opinion?
Don't bother replying, as I have you on ignore, :laugh::laugh::laugh:

But what about winning a medal at gpf or winning a medal at worlds? What Russian teams used to do all the time! Look at k/n in 2008!

I think we should create a special thread for some poster here so that they can have their own outlet to express all the things wrong with Ice Dance discipline in Russia. I'm really tired of seeing the same bashing from the same posters every other day. Russian Ice Dance has enough peanut gallery experts already.

More on topic: I'm excited that Popova/Mozgov got 2 GP assignments. They have fire and I hope they can show their improvement and deliver. :hap57: :dance:

There is no bashing! There has never been one bit of bashing. Just pointing out the astonishing fact that Russia had no ice dance team medal at gpf or worlds or Olympics from 2015-2018! That’s means Russian ice dance is ending. There has been no announcement from Rfs wants this situation so it’s a problem!

I hope having a real ice dance coach is good for P/M. I wish they could have gone to Dubreuil!

bramweld

Record Breaker
No mention about the Jrs coming up? I think S/A are a good team.

If you look at them closely enough you realize they are simply alright. They were the most mature and technically sound of their lot and hence the win. Their basic glide and skating quality is just poor for ice dancers. They need much more power, air, lightness and amplitude. Kustarova and her team need to stop packing their pairs with tricks and teach them good basics, they will just get eaten alive when they make the transition to seniors. Zhulin does that well next the addition of danciness, it's either you have it or you don't. Some of their juniors though are very interesting, I'm taking a wait and see approach.

moriel

Record Breaker
Agree with bramweld about lack of polish
It was pretty obvious with I/K even in their olympic programs, they somehow looked more like pairs than like dancers in their skating. Dunno if it makes sense outside my head.

sunn1ly

On the Ice
From the juniors coming up I like Shpilyaeva and Smirnov skating the most, unfortunately due to the injury they will really have to fight in their first senior season.

gmyers

Record Breaker
No mention about the Jrs coming up? I think S/A are a good team.

Why is it when other countries have good juniors they send them to dubreuil but Russians get sent to kustarova? It makes no sense. To be successful transitioning you need experts at creating success in seniors. That doesn’t exist in Russia right now. So you can have potential but if you aren’t sent to dubreuil or even a dubreuil disciple like fusar-poli you aren’t going to go anywhere. Even krylova may be good as she coached in North America. Already fired loboda.

1critic

On the Ice
With so many pairs flocking to Canada I am interested to see a showdown between Montreal style vs Russian style of ice dance.

gmyers

Record Breaker
With so many pairs flocking to Canada I am interested to see a showdown between Montreal style vs Russian style of ice dance.

Can Russian style beat number 3 or 4 Montreal? Like of course no Russian team can beat p/c or h/d. The question is can Russian style beat Montreal style as practiced by chock and Bates?!?

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Never say never. More Montreal teams came to the top 5 only after V/M, and let's be real, they are miles above Chock and Bates, to say the least. Also, H/D took a lot, A LOT OF TIME to get it together. They are quite the strong team now, and this WSM might give them a real push, especially if the Shibs don't come back, which I suspect they won't. But both H/D and C/B are still unpredictable in competition, nothing like the Shibs who usually got their stuff together. We'll have to see how the chips are going to fall this year, but I wouldn't rule out some surprises.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me to see Montreal branching out in the coming seasons, like many schools before. And we all know what that means.