2018-19 Russian Pairs' figure skating | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Pairs' figure skating

moriel

Record Breaker
Anyways even if Tarasova and Morozov are not dating anymore, and even if Tarasova is dating Klimov, i somehow doubt T/M would split. They are sucessful, and with SM and DR somewhat retired, they have very nice chances this quad, since they can medal at literally any competition. Them splitting at this point would be epically stupid, even worse than IK level of stupid because IK prospects were worse.

I see SK splitting though - they are pretty messy, and not sure if it can work out, so maybe a fresh start for them could be a good thing.

Also, Ksenia could skate with Rogonov. He is worse than Klimov imho, but i would hate to see him retired so...

LadyB

Record Breaker
I just read a couple of tweets saying it but they all claimed it was rumors! Sorry I can't seem to find them again right now :scratch2:

Exactly. People are talking a lot of b******s at the moment. We need to bear in mind that everything is rumour so far. Same goes for Fedor and Zhenya's sister. We speculate a lot, but we don't know anything until it is official.

One of the rumours I heard from various Russian sources is that Ksenia wanted to change coaches (which I thought was a good idea), but Fedor didn't. Therefore she went to Perm to train with Pavel Slusarenko or whoever else it is, to give her the help that she's looking for. Still nothing confirmed, though.

Some people say Vovan Morozov is dating Kristina Stepanova, a choreographer from Mozer Team. That thought crossed my mind before... but like I said, no confirmation.
So far, T/M are still training together and just performed a beautiful triple Flip throw. At least, there is video evidence for that one. :)

Joubabe

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Maybe Klimov decided he'd had enough of Stilbova when she wasn't invited to the Olympics.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Maybe Klimov decided he'd had enough of Stilbova when she wasn't invited to the Olympics.

No shade to Fedor, but Ksenia's "carried him" to one Olympics and throughout most of their career -- I don't think he would leave her simply because she was unfairly barred from the 2018 Olympics, where they most definitely wouldn't have medaled in individual and have had to settle for team silver (having already won a team gold) anyways.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
On twitter I read Tarasova split from Morozov and is now dating Klimov 😂 just when I thought it couldn’t get crazier!

All jokings aside, I would be very sad if S/K had indeed split as a pair, but not that surprised :( maybe Ksenia will follow the Aljona route though! She is such a good skater, she would deserve it
Tarasova and Morozov have definitely split as a couple, it seems, and Morozov is dating a choreographer from Mozer's group. Tarasova dating Klimov is still at the level of rumours.

Joubabe

On the Ice
Country
United-States
No shade to Fedor, but Ksenia's "carried him" to one Olympics and throughout most of their career -- I don't think he would leave her simply because she was unfairly barred from the 2018 Olympics, where they most definitely wouldn't have medaled in individual and have had to settle for team silver (having already won a team gold) anyways.

Until the IOC releases their evidence on Stilbova, I guess we'll each have to stick with our own opinions about why she was barred from the Olympics.

moriel

Record Breaker
Until the IOC releases their evidence on Stilbova, I guess we'll each have to stick with our own opinions about why she was barred from the Olympics.

For me, it is kinda simple. If she doped, they would actually punish her for it? Because she won European Silver right before the Olympics, for example, and so on. She medaled at Sochi, but she still has her medal. If she doped, there is no reason to not investigate her and not to punish her. Remember how quickly Wada jumped on meldonium folks, for example.

But that didn't happen =)

Because probably the only evidence they have is that she is a russian athlete, or something like that. If they had any evidence, they would have already released it, as they did with tons of athletes (or they are weird people who, for some weird reasons, let the dopers compete).

Which means she was unfairly barred, yep.

Because probably the only evidence they have is that she is a russian athlete, or something like that.
Which means she was unfairly barred, yep.

The thing is -- many Russians were in fact allowed to compete. Stolbova and Bukin were the exceptions, not the rule, so "she is a Russian athlete" can't be the only reason. Sure, "she is a Russian athlete" + [unknown reason] = "not invited to Olympics" -- and of course it is human nature to be uncomfortable with unknowns. Anything we suggest would be pure speculation -- something political and personal against Stolbova, a sacrifice that would make it seem like they were "taking action" against Russian fed without causing too much uproar (like would happen if they banned Medvedeva, for example), some historical grudge with some bureaucrat at IOC, some highly specific paperwork discrepancy -- who knows?

But it's SOMETHING, and until such time as the IOC releases their reasons (and I agree they should, absolutely! Really, what I wish is that they had ALREADY released their reasons), we cannot know, aside from logically inferring that her nationality was NOT the only factor.

LadyB

Record Breaker
It was officially announced (and right from the beginning) that Ksenia was not barred, but not invited, which is a huge difference. The IOC said right from the start that there was no evidence that Ksenia had doped.
Info was later leaked to the press saying that Ksenia was alerted of a doping test, then gave an address she was actually not at when the officials came round. The commentator at the time said this would usually not justify a harsh decision like getting excluded from the Olympics, but since they had it in for the Russians....

Bear with me, I'll try and find the source for this again.

- edit -

Found it: https://rsport.ria.ru/winter2018_diary/20180208/1132197963.html

"Ironically, the removal of Stolbova from participating in the Games-2018 (if you believe the information that leaked to the press) was not associated with doping, but with a disciplinary violation: WADA officers who came to conduct out-of-competition control did not catch the figure skater in place, and she received a warning - not too critical in "peaceful" life, but proved to be fatal in the current realities of the war declared by Russia."

Sorrento

Record Breaker
There's a rumor Klimov might be pairing with Elena Radionova. Now, wouldn't that be fun? I can't imagine them all together but... I mean...:dev3:

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
There's a rumor Klimov might be pairing with Elena Radionova. Now, wouldn't that be fun? I can't imagine them all together but... I mean...:dev3:

Those rumors are getting wild, but then again, wilder things have happened this off-season :laugh:

yoloaxel

Record Breaker

That awkward moment when instead of laughing at this you actually think it may be true considering how rumors have been going this off season

Sorrento

Record Breaker
Those rumors are getting wild, but then again, wilder things have happened this off-season :laugh:

We need to have a thread with the most wild thing happened during this off season. We have plenty of shocker news. I wonder which one wins in September.

- - - Updated - - -

That awkward moment when instead of laughing at this you actually think it may be true considering how rumors have been going this off season

But can you imagine this Pair? I can't blend them together.

moriel

Record Breaker
The thing is -- many Russians were in fact allowed to compete. Stolbova and Bukin were the exceptions, not the rule, so "she is a Russian athlete" can't be the only reason. Sure, "she is a Russian athlete" + [unknown reason] = "not invited to Olympics" -- and of course it is human nature to be uncomfortable with unknowns. Anything we suggest would be pure speculation -- something political and personal against Stolbova, a sacrifice that would make it seem like they were "taking action" against Russian fed without causing too much uproar (like would happen if they banned Medvedeva, for example), some historical grudge with some bureaucrat at IOC, some highly specific paperwork discrepancy -- who knows?

But it's SOMETHING, and until such time as the IOC releases their reasons (and I agree they should, absolutely! Really, what I wish is that they had ALREADY released their reasons), we cannot know, aside from logically inferring that her nationality was NOT the only factor.

While there is less info on Stolbova, you may read Bukin's recent interview.
It has a lot of interesting info.

While there is less info on Stolbova, you may read Bukin's recent interview.
It has a lot of interesting info.

Thank you! I am still inclined toward the totally usubstantiated opinion that Stolbova and Bukin were sacrifices, so to speak. The ISU might have decided they needed to exclude some athletes, otherwise there would be backlash from certain parties that they weren't "doing enough"... but the ISU also knew that barring serious medal contenders in any discipline would provoke too much outrage and pushback from supporters of the Russian athletes. Notice it wasn't T/M or B/S barred. Again, just my pet hypothesis.

andromache

Record Breaker
Hello everyone. I have never been in this thread because I don't really care about Russian pairs beyond the big 3, and I figure any major news about them would wind up with its own thread. But holy moly was I wrong. I came across the Stolbova/Klimov break-up on Twitter. So sad!!!! God, what beautiful skating skills from both of them though - though they had otherwise kind of stagnated over the past few years.

And now all of these rumors about who is dating who??? Glad to hear T/M split up romantically - I never really liked them as a romantic couple. Too vanilla. Imagining Tarasova dating Klimov is pretty hilarious though.

moriel

Record Breaker
Hello everyone. I have never been in this thread because I don't really care about Russian pairs beyond the big 3, and I figure any major news about them would wind up with its own thread. But holy moly was I wrong. I came across the Stolbova/Klimov break-up on Twitter. So sad!!!! God, what beautiful skating skills from both of them though - though they had otherwise kind of stagnated over the past few years.

And now all of these rumors about who is dating who??? Glad to hear T/M split up romantically - I never really liked them as a romantic couple. Too vanilla. Imagining Tarasova dating Klimov is pretty hilarious though.

Im worried because knowing russians if Tarasova is dating Klimov, they could actually do the IK thing again, and I would be heartbroken.