2018-19 Russian Pairs' figure skating | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Pairs' figure skating

NAOTMAA

Medalist
That awkward moment when instead of laughing at this you actually think it may be true considering how rumors have been going this off season

Well she's 19 and with the heard of youngsters about to turn senior and her failure to make the Olympic team last season she probably knows she's about to become the next Alena Leonova (abet still likely to be more successful and competitive). She made some great improvements over the last season but realistically it wasn't enough. She's at the point in her career where she has to make a tough decision on what she wants to do for the next four years.

Also on top of having Sotskova and Gubanova her coach just took on Tsurskaya, who will definitely be completing for the ladies team. In the eyes of the Russian fed. she's likely seen as the distant fourth wheel of the Buianova group.

From what I've seen I think personality wise (on ice) she fits Rogonov better then Klimov. A La La Land medley like A/R did last season would fit her like a glove. But one has to consider height as well. Ksenia and Kristina were 5'2 and 5'1 respectively while Elena is 5'4 so if she did go pairs she'll need a strong partner who can lift her. Are Fedor and Alexey (both 5'11) strong enough for that???

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Well she's 19 and with the heard of youngsters about to turn senior and her failure to make the Olympic team last season she probably knows she's about to become the next Alena Leonova (abet still likely to be more successful and competitive). She made some great improvements over the last season but realistically it wasn't enough. She's at the point in her career where she has to make a tough decision on what she wants to do for the next four years.

Also on top of having Sotskova and Gubanova her coach just took on Tsurskaya, who will definitely be completing for the ladies team. In the eyes of the Russian fed. she's likely seen as the distant fourth wheel of the Buianova group.

From what I've seen I think personality wise (on ice) she fits Rogonov better then Klimov. A La La Land medley like A/R did last season would fit her like a glove. But one has to consider height as well. Ksenia and Kristina were 5'2 and 5'1 respectively while Elena is 5'4 so if she did go pairs she'll need a strong partner who can lift her. Are Fedor and Alexey (both 5'11) strong enough for that???

Elena seems a bit tall to me to be a pair skater, to be honest. But who knows!

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
With Sui/Han and Seguin/Bilodeau pulling out of GP Finland, chances are high for Pavlyuchenko/Khodykin to win or earn silver behind Zabiiako/Enbert, who can most definitely get bronze at NHK behind Peng/Jin and one of the US or Canadian pairs, or even get silver or gold there.
In Rostelecom Cup, Pavlyuchenko/Khodykin will likely get silver behind Tarasova/Morozov, so two silvers should put them in the final. I don't think Della Monica/Guarise or Alexandrovskaya/Windsor can beat them.
Boikova/Koslovskii face James/Cipres at both their events but can earn two silvers, or at least a silver and a bronze, since in Canada they also face Peng/Jin.

So pairs assignments are good for the Russians.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
I think it's a little bit early to tell how P/K and B/K are going to transition onto the full senior stage. I know that B/K have skated in both juniors and seniors last year. I think B/K have lots of potential and some nice difficult elements like the 3T+1Lo+3S but they have been inconsistent, getting top 5 in last season's Russian senior nationals but off the podium and WJC team in Russian junoir nationals. In SC, they are facing M-T/M and D/F in addition to the two teams you mentioned. At IDF, they are also contending with D/F and K/O for the podium. Although during an Olympic year, K/O won 4CC with a score close to 195. They should also be taken into consideration.

P/K are facing M/G in both events. M/G have improved steadily over the last quad and broke the 200 point barrier in both Olympics and Worlds last season. They are a top 5 team so beating them both times is very unlikely. Bronze in both events are more likely goals for them.

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
Well, I think they can beat them at least once, because they have harder jump elements than M/G (upgraded from 3T-3T-SEQ to 3T-3T which means they can throw a -2T on the end of that too, plus they've been working with Eteri, so the other jump will probably be something like 3Lo or 3F)

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I don't see P/K beating M/G unless M/G let them. In fact, they should worry about doing their best to get on the podium, and even that might be hard. Several teams have improved a lot in the last season, the aussies, austrians and north-koreans included. It won't be a walk in the park for any of these teams.

As for B/K, they should first get around to nailing their programs, then they can think about moving up the ranks.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
^^^
I expect DM/G to rise in the ranks the way J/C did 2, 3 years ago, or similar (if skate clean or near clean). I also expect one of the two Russians ex juniors team to make a statement too, but Italians has a little more chances to finish in GPF in my opinion (or one of US team instead, thinking that 2 Russians, 1 French, 1 Chinese and probably 1 Canadian pair will already be there).

LRK

Record Breaker
Pairs are a bit different from singles in that it is unusual for a team to make a splash their first year in seniors. But it is also the oldest-skewering discipline, so, barring any ill-fortune, they have the time to work themselves up the rankings. Considering that pairs is the discipline in which there are the most skaters who not only continue well into their 30s, but are in peak form, and the best they've ever been when doing so.

So, good luck to the pairs turning senior, and may we get to enjoy their skating - and development - for years to come.:)

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Elena Radionova was at practice Saturday with Sotskova, she's not going into pairs. There are pictures on CSKA website.

News:
Rogonov has teamed up with Alina Ustimkina. He confirmed on Match!TV. This was per our Russian poster on FSU.

LadyB

Record Breaker
News:
Rogonov has teamed up with Alina Ustimkina. He confirmed on Match!TV. This was per our Russian poster on FSU.

I'm really pleased for Alexei to be able to continue. Good for him.

Now, let's see how the Lena Pavlova/Fedor Klimov story shapes up. And what is the plan for Ksenia...

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Russia right now is in a state where they don't have super special team but several very good teams. I think if S and K competed and were healthy they could be the new "it" team but I fear with all these suggestions plus the Olympic tragedy then the injury that they may be finished. I had such high hopes after Sochi but it never materialized and each year after it seemed disappointment, injuries and failed expectations not met.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Well, let's see if Dmitriev won't make the same mistakes he made with Kristina and Alexei on this new partnership.

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
Kostuikovich fell twice, so nothing surprising. Just hoping they didn't blow their chance for JGPs based off of that.
I heard Mishina and Galliamov were good, at least in the SP.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Kostuikovich fell twice, so nothing surprising. Just hoping they didn't blow their chance for JGPs based off of that.
I heard Mishina and Galliamov were good, at least in the SP.
The were good in both programs, and jumped 3S-1Lo-3S in the FS, just as they talked about in the interview. Panfilova/Rylov won the FS on PCS, M/G were second.