Daria Panenkova left Eteri’s group? | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Daria Panenkova left Eteri’s group?

zounger

Medalist
Why this have to be so secret? When other skaters of team Tutberidze left, the name of the new coach was known the same day or a few days later.

It's the flower effect. It needs some time to settle down.

Joking aside I hope she moves quickly and continues her training and preparation for GPs normally.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Why not Panova? Her girls are not bad. A few promising juniors and novices.
Or Davydov who is Tarusina's coach. Honestly i hope it's not Tsareva.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Because it's out of the transfer period, so she might have to stay within the club, and Tsareva is the only other "high-level" coach there. I, too, would prefer Davydov, and Panova, even though she mainly works with novices.

Ginask8s

On the Ice
She needs some good programs and someone to put her first in the pecking order. She is coming to the table with all the other ingredients.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am cautiously optimistic that the coaching change will work out. She still at Sambo with her former teammates. She will be Tsareva 's priority as she has 2 grand prix slots. At worst she will be #2 behind Anna. Also, I hope that Tsareva would want her student to be a success.

ewdokia

On the Ice
Adian himself said that he is lazy and had problems with his back since early childhood. But Eteri haters doesn't care about Adian actually.
Well, Eteri fans apparently follow their idol and arrange statements/facts to their liking till it fits their desired reality. :rolleye:
To put things right here:

1.) Adian didn’t have backpain since childhood. He first felt backpain at JW 2015 (so right that season when he started with excessive quad training):

Did nobody notice that before? Does this problem demonstrate itself in the course of time?
No, it does not. That is the case. There was a period – my first senior season – when, as I remember exactly, before the Junior World Championships, I had a backache. The pain wasn't great but it hurt, and the pain was the same as it is now.

Were those the first symptoms of the back problem?
Yes, they were. Not that the pain disturbed but it hurt. Yet, it's possible to skate through the pain. Then I had a relief.

(Quotes are all from this interview: http://www.absoluteskating.com/index.php?cat=interviews&id=2017adianpitkeev)

2.) However, what Adian stated was that there is a congential problem with his spine which would have caused the injury anyways sooner or later (with Eteri’s training regimen of course earlier):

"I have learned that the problem with my spine is actually inborn, I was born with it. And the fact that the injury was to happen was just a matter of time. It might have happened earlier, it might have happened later. I was told that my spine was a bit deformed congenitally."

In any case unlike Buyanova Eteri apparently was not interested in the cause of Adian’s back problems. Not surprising as in her book he was just lazy. :rolleye:

A bit about Adian’s back condition when he started to train with Buyanova:

“We combined. Roughly said, it was just like that. When I came out onto the ice, we did not hurry to jump. We started training skating skills with Maxim Zavozin, we tried to cure my back. That is what I remember. I just try not to look back at that period of my life because I was in a condition like... For example, I would wake up in the morning and would not understand why all those things should be happening to me. I felt frustrated, and now I try not to remember about that. I can start feeling pain in my back any time. But at the moment, I've already got used to it and I'm basically okay. Moreover, I do not jump at all, I do not do anything like that, so I feel more or less normal.”

“For about a year and a half, Elena Vodorezova (Elena Germanovna Vodorezova; married name: Buianova) and I tried to get my back to the condition which would allow me to train well even through the pain – it did not matter for me. But during all that time nothing happened. I mean we got the condition but then I started jumping, advancing, adding complicated types of entries to elements, body working, in short, everything, and it all started from the very beginning. The triple Axel was my "ceiling", I could do nothing more. It was difficult for me to walk, to lie, my back did not stop troubling me.”

Please read that twice. And then think that this is the back condition in which he trained under Eteri before leaving. And here you have Eteri, expecting Adian with that to continue to jump quads and complaining publicly that Adian was lazy and not training enough. When he sometimes even had difficulties to stand or to lie. :(

It’s actually Adian where Eteri crossed the red line in my book. Not only that she is reckless and doesn’t care much about her students’ health, but personally attacking skaters who had to quit due to healths reasons so save her own face – stinky at least (I would love to call it other words, but they’d be censored). :dev2:

3.) A bit more about Adian & laziness. His comment about being lazy didn’t refer to figure skating / him as a person in general, but to his hobby, playing the guitar:

If you had more time, would you continue your studies?
Unfortunately, I'm lazy. I just do it for myself. And if I have a task to learn some piece of music or some solo or to practice an exercise at a certain tempo, to a metronome, then to change the tempo, I start thinking if I really need it. On the one hand I understand that I need it but on the other hand I do not understand what for. However, these two lessons were highly informative: I remembered everything that they taught me forever. For example, now, when I play, my hands are as relaxed as possible, and the movements are very wide, free, smooth, and when it is necessary, they are sharp but also relaxed. Relaxed hands are very important. Sometimes, when my friends play the guitar, I see that they get terribly strained.

When he was giving that interview, he was training ice-dance intensively, working as a coach to afford his training, studying at university. Of course he didn’t want to stress himself in his leisure time, but only wanted to play for fun. However, the progress he made with the guitar within the past 2-3 years gives you a hint, what Adian considers as “laziness”. I wish I had his kind of laziness with my own recreational adult skating training – I’d probably be doing doubles today. :laugh:

Buyanova has by the way always mentioned what a hard-working, disciplined athlete Adian was. And she had no reason to do so – as he didn’t have results with her, the easiest thing would have been blaming Adian of being lazy. Still she always speaks in nicest words of Adian (and not only to the media).

Pluschenko about Sima: "She turned her back on me" (it was way more rude in Russian).
Goncharenko about Lena: "I don't want to gloat but Lena got what she wanted".
And I don't even want to remember what Mishin was saying about Yagudin.

But no, nobody hates Pluschenko, Goncharenko and Mishin, because... because why? Even though Eteri actually never said anything THAT bad about her former skaters.

The difference between all these coaches mentioned and Eteri is that they spoke badly on rare occasion about one student. And they didn’t bash skaters who had to retire afterwards. Also in at least one case much of that might have been a big misunderstanding due to lack of communication (Plushenko / Sima).

With Eteri such behavior unfortunately is a rule. You'll leave her – you’ll be bashed by her (or her team). And she does it most often in ways, where she might seriously harm her former skaters’ reputation. Can you imagine how much she might have harmed Adian for his future coaching career? Or how much Eteri (or Gleichengaus as her newly nominated speaking tube) might have harmed Dasha in her search for a new coach? And here you have typical Eteri style: presenting facts out of context and in a way it gives the worst picture of the skater. Team Tutberidze probably for good reasons avoided to tell WHY Dasha didn’t want to train. :dev3:

Anyways, back to the key topic. I’m happy Dasha left, but if she is with Tsarevna now, I wonder if it was worth it. She again might have a coach who does not treat her skaters well and that with lesser results. But if she proves me wrong and her change will be a fit, I’d be happy about it. :)

glassanimal

On the Ice
Don't you think that this "private conversation" also was bad? Or is it some kind of Russian prison mentality where "stukach" (person who informed police about crime) is worse that person who commited that crime?
When you call this person "a daughter to you" and gush about how much you've contributed to this person's upbringing, you naturally inherit a certain expectation of trust and privacy. One action, if true, was merely a private moment of frustration towards a trusted adult. The other, the revealing of said private moment on prime time national news, was absolutely vile.

Adian himself said that he is lazy and had problems with his back since early childhood. But Eteri haters doesn't care about Adian actually.

Actually, we do care. Adian spent HOURS taking public transportation to and from his daily practices, only to magically become "lazy and dramatic" once he arrived. (according to Eteri)

Hopefully everything will work out for Daria.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Adian himself said that he is lazy.
He didn't say it in relation to figure skating but to learning to play guitar. It's like that silly "Kolyada said he was lazy" thing that started going around. Nobody ever bothers to check the source.

ewdokia

On the Ice
Well technically all skaters that moved from her than performed worse the season after.
The reason for that is pretty obvious: most skaters unfortunately left her late when serious problems already had set in. :(

Beside her strong medal count Eteri holds another record among elite coaches: so far every skater training who has reached elite skating level (i.e. who at least won a medal at JGPF / JW or a GP-medal in seniors) with her after injury / struggles set in either

• never got back to former strength and / or
• changed coaches and / or
• in worst case even had to retire.

I have not seen such a record from any other coach on this level yet. Every other coach on Eteri’s coaching level has at least once managed to bring his / her skaters back from injuries / struggles. Some of them multiple times (e.g. Caroll, Orser, Mishin, Moskvina, Tarasova, …). Not Eteri. :noshake:

But it reveals the secret of her success: squeezing out of her students as much as possible in one, two or maximum three years and when they are burned out / injured, she moves on the next. It’s then up to other coaches to deal with the problems of her former skaters - like Buyanova had to deal with Adian’s and now with Polina’s back problems. So blame her for having less success. :rolleye:

And to camouflage that tactics, Eteri is not shy to attack her former students for laziness, etc. once they leave / had to retire. But obviously enough people still buy it. :palmf:

Just compare how Buyanova handles Artur’s current growths sprint and related back issues --> no jumping and competitions in order not to risk his long term perspective. Now compare how Eteri handled it with Adian and Polina --> ignore and jump, jump, jump. :gaah:

ewdokia

On the Ice
Actually, we do care. Adian spent HOURS taking public transportation to and from his daily practices, only to magically become "lazy and dramatic" once he arrived. (according to Eteri).

And add to that that Adian was not home schooled, but attended an ordinary school. With some teachers being absolutely not helpful, but making life even more difficult for him. Like his math teacher telling him before his first Junior Worlds that he has to make a choice between school and skating. And it’s not like Adian was a bad student and had been struggling to pass his exams, it’s rather his teachers noticing that Adian is a clever guy and in their eyes should not have wasted his talents in sports. It must have been nerve-wrecking for him at times. :(

By the way if anybody is interested how Adian is doing I updated his fan thread with some news and clips of him on the ice

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?50236-Adian-Pitkeev/page37 :

He didn't say it in relations to figure skating but to learning to play guitar. It's like that silly "Kolyada said he was lazy" thing that started going around. Nobody ever bothers to check the source.
Lazy Misha just finished his master studies at Lesgraft sports university with top grades. :laugh:

ewdokia

On the Ice
Because it's out of the transfer period, so she might have to stay within the club, and Tsareva is the only other "high-level" coach there. I, too, would prefer Davydov, and Panova, even though she mainly works with novices.
I’m wondering more and more about that transfer window. :scratch2: It’s wise that RF as a general rule wants to prevent skaters to switch coaches in the middle of the season (and with that maybe just out of a mood). But there should be room for reasonable exceptions as well and some skaters in the past already managed to switch their coach outside that transfer window.

I can see the financial point, e.g. that Sambo invested in choreographing Dasha’s new programs, etc. But then this could have been solved by splitting medal count /price money or something similar. I very much hope that Dasha’s decision was not influenced by the transfer window rule, e.g. that she was forced to stay at Sambo, i.e. she was not allowed to choose her coach on her own desire. If her new coach is indeed Tsarevna the best base for success would be that it was their mutual free choice to work together.

hanca

Record Breaker
I’m wondering more and more about that transfer window. :scratch2: It’s wise that RF as a general rule wants to prevent skaters to switch coaches in the middle of the season (and with that maybe just out of a mood). But there should be room for reasonable exceptions as well and some skaters in the past already managed to switch their coach outside that transfer window.

I can see the financial point, e.g. that Sambo invested in choreographing Dasha’s new programs, etc. But then this could have been solved by splitting medal count /price money or something similar. I very much hope that Dasha’s decision was not influenced by the transfer window rule, e.g. that she was forced to stay at Sambo, i.e. she was not allowed to choose her coach on her own desire. If her new coach is indeed Tsarevna the best base for success would be that it was their mutual free choice to work together.
The transfer window is in place only when convenient for the federation. Russia has a lot of skaters so I understand that it was necessary to put something in place otherwise no one would be able to keep track on funding if all those skaters could change any time. However, in the past few years we have seen skaters who changed outside this window and were punished for it, and other skaters who changed outside this window and nothing happened to them. In those cases everyone knew that the skater changed coaches/skating school, but no one really acknowledged it officially and everyone sort of pretended that it was not happening. It is likely that ‘the new school’ was not paid for the skater and the funding continued to do to the previous school, but there were no sanctions towards the skater. I guess it depends on who the skater is, who is the coach/school he/she left and who is the new coach and school. And it always helps if the move is supported by someone powerful. For example, if I was a Russian skater who need to change outside this transfer window, I would contact Tarasova, prepared myself thoroughly for the discussion and asked her for help. Someone in the past changed with Tarasova’s help and there were no sanctions...

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Voronov improved. Most of the rest left with serious injuries, which unfortunately had already taken their toll.

Debatable.

Two seasons ago he was not great, much better last year where he even won NHK but then completely bombed at Nationals and no medals at the major events.

With Eteri he won his only medal at GPF, a silver medal at the europeans and at Nationals he was probably underscored.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Debatable.

Two seasons ago he was not great, much better last year where he even won NHK but then completely bombed at Nationals and no medals at the major events.

What a weird way to put it. He didn't do well at Nationals, and then the Fed didn't allow him to compete at the other events. You make it sound like he competed at Euros, Olys and Worlds only to get sub-par results. That one competiton cost him the big events of the season, the way I see it.
Now I'll bow out since I don't follow the wide Russian ladies field all that much, especially the juniors. But I'm quite curious if there's ever going to be a student of Eteri who sticks with her past their teenage years. It sure sounds like a stressful environment there. :slink: