Rinks in London - recommendations? | Golden Skate

Rinks in London - recommendations?

leafytoes

Spectator
I’m moving to London for work (work is in Hammersmith) and looking for an area to live atm. I was wondering where the best rink would be to train at? For background, I am an adult skater (22 years old) and doing single jumps.

uhh

Medalist
Probably Streatham or Lee Valley depending on which side of London you end up living in. Queensway is more central but the rink is very small.

Streatham is very accessible for south and west London, and has patch 6-11 in the morning and 4-6 in the evening on weekdays, and 6:30 to 8:30 at weekends. They are quite relaxed about lessons & practicing on public sessions if it's not too busy, and there's an advanced adult group at your level in the Thursday evening learn to skate session. There's also a decent skate shop there; its mainly geared to hockey but I still find they are good with figure skates. PM me if you want coach recommendations.

I know Lee Valley less well, but it would be the easier option if you live in East or North London. Patch is 6:15-10:45 in the morning, and then there are some evening sessions on selected weekdays. Monthly patch pass is about £75. Lee Valley has tended to be where figure skaters competing at national/international level who are based in London train.

Both rinks have a decent figure skating club, Streatham also has a recreational ice dance club that meets once a week. I'd also suggest looking up the London Adult Figure Skating Club, which runs events and seminars across London.

hanca

Record Breaker
And then there is also Alexandra Palace, but that is in north London. You would have to travel to work by tube, about an hour from Hammersmith by tube.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Just want to comment that I'm happy to hear that those rinks are still there. I did some training at Richmond Ice Rink in the mid 80s. That was such a lovely rink and it made me sad to hear that they took it down (always figured that would happen some day).
I remember Streatham also being a very nice rink.

Enjoy your time there leafytoes!

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
And then there is also Alexandra Palace, but that is in north London. You would have to travel to work by tube, about an hour from Hammersmith by tube.

And is the most beautiful with fantastic stained glass arched windows and a glorious view of London. Plus lots going on at the site, a museum, theatre restoration, places to eat, festivals etc.

But Streatham is the only Olympic sized rink in London. Apparently a new on in Romford was going to be, not sure if it is?

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Just want to comment that I'm happy to hear that those rinks are still there. I did some training at Richmond Ice Rink in the mid 80s. That was such a lovely rink and it made me sad to hear that they took it down (always figured that would happen some day).
I remember Streatham also being a very nice rink.

Enjoy your time there leafytoes!

It truly was. :( Apparently it is now flats. The Swedish owners were supposed to rebuild a rink but it never materialised. Not only did we lose a great rink in a lovely location with wonderful skating history, we lost the Autumn International always held there which was televised in Skating's heyday.