SC announces 2018-19 NextGen Team | Golden Skate

SC announces 2018-19 NextGen Team

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OTTAWA, ON: Skate Canada is proud to announce the 2018-2019 NextGen Team. The team is made up of 36 entries, totalling 48 athletes. By category, the team includes 10 men, 14 women, six pair teams and six ice dance teams.

The Skate Canada NextGen program was established in 2016 to support the operations of Skate Canada’s high-performance development system. The purpose of the program is to ensure athletes and coaches advance at their maximum potential through development and training opportunities, in order to become the best in the world. The program is delivered in partnership with the skater’s respective Skate Canada Sections (PSO), Own The Podium, and the Canadian Sport Institutes. These skaters may be considered to represent Canada on the ISU Junior Grand Prix circuit, the ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships and other international competitions.

MEN
Brian Chiem, 16, Edmonton, Alta.
Corey Circelli, 15, Toronto, Ont.
Beres Clements, 16, Gibson, B.C.
Stephen Gogolev, 13, Toronto, Ont.
Alec Guinzbourg, 13, Aurora, Ont.
Iliya Kovler, 15, Richmond Hill, Ont.
Eric Liu, 16, Burnaby, B.C.
Conrad Orzel, 18, Woodbridge, Ont.
Joseph Phan, 17, Laval, Que.
Aleksa Rakic, 13, Burnaby, B.C.

WOMEN
Emily Bausback, 16, Vancouver, B.C.
Sarah-Maude Blanchard, 17, Sherbrooke, Que.
Victoria Bocknek, 16, Richmond Hill, Ont.
Sandrine Bouchard, 16, Lévis, Que.
Emma Bulawka, 15, Kelowna, B.C.
Catherine Carle, 14, Georgetown, Ont.
Daria Carr, 14, Kelowna, B.C.
Aurora Cotop, 16, Thornhill, Ont.
Hannah Dawson, 17, Vankleek Hill, Ont.
Olivia Gran, 15, Kelowna, B.C.
Leah Lee, 14, Vancouver, B.C.
Lissa Anne McGaghey, 17, Campbellton, N.B.
Amelia Orzel, 15, Woodbridge, Ont.
Alison Schumacher, 15, Tecumseh, Ont.

PAIRS
Patricia Andrew, 13, London, Ont., and Paxton Fletcher, 19, Rodney, Ont.
Olivia Boys-Eddy, 15, Brampton, Ont., and Mackenzie Boys-Eddy, 20, Brampton, Ont.
Gabrielle Levesque, 15, Bridgewater, N.S., and Pier-Alexandre Hudon, 19, Saint-Roc-Des-Aulnaies
Brooke McIntosh, 13, Etobicoke, Ont., and Brandon Toste, 15, Mississauga, Ont.
Camille Perreault, 14, Orford, Que., and Bryan Pierro, 17, Saint-Hubert, Que.
Marine Pouliot, 13, Lorraine, Que., and Alexandre Simard, 17, Rivière-Ouelle, Que.

ICE DANCE
Nadiia Bashynska, 14, Unionville, Ont., and Peter Beaumont, 17, Markham, Ont.
Amelia Boone, 14, Calgary, Alta., and Malcolm Kowan, 18, Calgary, Alta.
Natalie D’Alessandro, 14, Toronto, Ont., and Bruce Waddell, 16, Toronto, Ont.
Ellie Fisher, 16, Lasalle, Que., and Simon-Pierre Malette-Paquette, 20, Montreal, Que.
Marjorie Lajoie, 17, Boucherville, Que., and Zachary Lagha, 19, Saint-Hubert, Que.
Miku Makita, 15, Anmore, B.C., and Tyler Gunara, 15, Burnaby, B.C.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I wonder wether Nam or Roman could have been included. They are young, but I guess they are out of junior age. Roman must be 19, but Nam?

Tanager

On the Ice
I think Nam will definitely be named to the National Team. Not sure about Roman...

There is maybe a bit of a gap; younger, talented skaters too old for the NextGen Team but who haven't met National Team criteria. I'm not sure what's available as supports for skaters like that?

Anyway, congrats to the NextGen skaters. May their season ahead be fruitful!

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Miku Makita, 15, Anmore, B.C., and Tyler Gunara, 15, Burnaby, B.C.

So young and so good already. They hold the novice ice dance record, earned at last season's Skate Canada Challenge. It's their first season in juniors and they have participated in Lake Placid, where they earned a silver, and Minto where they came in fourth. They have my favourite junior Argentine Tango RD so far this season. Definitely a team to watch for the future!

StephenGfan

Final Flight
So young and so good already. They hold the novice ice dance record, earned at last season's Skate Canada Challenge. It's their first season in juniors and they have participated in Lake Placid, where they earned a silver, and Minto where they came in fourth. They have my favourite junior Argentine Tango RD so far this season. Definitely a team to watch for the future!

M/G give me shib vibes<3

s_parks

Record Breaker
LOL, saw nextgen and immediately thought tennis. Didn't know this existed since 2 years ago. Sorry, unrelated...

TGee

Record Breaker
LOL, saw nextgen and immediately thought tennis. Didn't know this existed since 2 years ago. Sorry, unrelated...
Actually it is funded significantly through a Sport Canada program that was only announced a couple of years ago. And the big federal Budget announcement to put in place the long term funding is more recent.

National sports federations in Canada have to put together NextGen programs that meet Sport Canada's requirements in order to access the funds.

Skate Canada was quite quick off the mark in getting the program set up.

Editing to add: here's a news feature from last year with background on the federal program.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/amat...nds-funding-for-nextgen-olympic-athletes.html

Also see Mike Slipchuk's and other Skate Canada comments on NextGen in this IFS story on 'the end of an era: Skate Canada rebuilds"

https://www.ifsmagazine.com/end-of-an-era-skate-canada-rebuilds/

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think Nam will definitely be named to the National Team. Not sure about Roman...

There is maybe a bit of a gap; younger, talented skaters too old for the NextGen Team but who haven't met National Team criteria. I'm not sure what's available as supports for skaters like that?

Anyway, congrats to the NextGen skaters. May their season ahead be fruitful!

accordingly to two things

results at nationals

and international assignments, mostly skate Canada where Roman was picked... it tells me that the national team will be made of

Keegan, Nam, Kevin, Roman and Nic. That is the top 5 of male skaters in Canada once Patrick, Elladj and Liam are removed due to retirement and Joseph kept in Next Gen due to junior eligibility and goals.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
M/G give me shib vibes<3

Yes I felt a bit of that too and a great compliment to M/G considering the Shibs are multiple World medalists and Olympic medalists. Other than both teams being Asian North Americans, M/G's FD look, with the colour scheme of their costumes, remind me of the Shibs' 2011 Worlds FD costumes. Nice polish on spins and great speed in twizzles similar to Shibs. M/G need to work on their overall speed and add more transitions, especially to their FD, but they have many years to develop.

TGee

Record Breaker
This is shaping up to be a fascinating year in Junior ice dance in Canada.

The great shuffle of partners appears to be working out better and the new teams coming together more rapidly than anyone could have reasonably expected.

Stairs and Graham were together less than 2 months before their debut event for example, but have earned a JGP assignment.

I see such interesting and different things in so many of these new teams that I'm not ready to pick favourites...

[emoji897]

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
^ Yes TGee and tomorrow there will be more junior ice dancers debuting their programs in Quebec. So stay tuned!

TGee

Record Breaker
Skate Canada has posted a JGP Bratislava news release featuring NextGen team members in their first ISU events of the season.

https://skatecanada.ca/2018/08/cana...k-off-2018-2019-isu-junior-grand-prix-season/

For a number of them, it will be their first JGP: in addition to Stephen Gogolev who has reached the minimum age, there are Aleksa Rasic in Men's, Bashynska/Beaumont in Dance, and McIntosh/Toste in Pairs who were on the Novice podium at Nationals last January.

Best wishes to all.