2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 331 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

hanca

Record Breaker
Well, that leaves 6 challenger events (no Asian Open, no Lombardia, no US Classic or Autumn Classic since they never go) and just three are before the grand prix. Alina can't do Finlandia since it conflicts with Japan Open (Finlandia is 4-7 October and Japan Open is 6 October).

The three before the GP:
Ondrej Nepela (19-22 September)
Nebelhorn (26-29 September)
Finlandia (4-7 October)

If all 9 of the GP ladies want a challenger, then all of these spots are taken.

The other three challengers are:
Alpen Trophy (Austria) on 11-18 November
Tallinn Trophy (Estonia) on 26 November - 2 December
Golden Spin of Zagreb (Croatia) on 5-8 December

This would leave nine spots for the following:
Anna Tarusina, Anastasia Gubanova, Anastasia Gulyakova, Serafima Sakhanovich, Anna Pogorilaya (still a question mark), Valeria Mikhailova, Elizaveta Nugumanova, Alisa Fedichkina, and Alena Leonova (just an approximate list). All of these ladies could get one spot, since there are nine of them. If Pogorilaya isn't ready to compete, I would think her spot would go to Samodurova since she only has one GP.
I wouldn’t worry. Some of them come from poorer backgrounds and may have to hope that they will get event closer to home, but others don’t have financial problems and will happily pay to travel further, as long as they can have an event.

DeeDee18

On the Ice
Random question (been rewatching the test skates) but is there a reason why averbukh isn’t choreographing for turberidze anymore? Pretty sure he did Julia and zhenya and just surprised that he hasn’t chosen someone new from that team ... ofc his programs were a bit controversion but nonetheless not so choppy-sounding :p

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia
is there a reason why averbukh isn’t choreographing for turberidze anymore?

Averbukh is a big name, and he was a natural choice for the most important programs, especially in the Olympic season. But Gleikhengauz proved to be a huge talent himself, especially when Zhenya gave up on Averbukh's free program in favor of Daniil's Karenina, and even more so when his Black Swan brought Alina her OGM. I don't know, was it Averbukh who got upset and stopped offering Eteri his help, or Daniil simply took over all the choreography, because why not.

I suspect in this season Averbukh may regain his glory, again thanks to Daniil. :slink:

madison

Record Breaker
Random question (been rewatching the test skates) but is there a reason why averbukh isn’t choreographing for turberidze anymore? Pretty sure he did Julia and zhenya and just surprised that he hasn’t chosen someone new from that team ... ofc his programs were a bit controversion but nonetheless not so choppy-sounding :p

I suppose that he isn't the one to choose, but the other parts are.... I mean Evgenia was used to work with him, but Alina and the other juniors not.
And all the programs of Tutberidze's group are created together by Daniil and Eteri.... sometimes Daniil's style is more obvious (such as in Alina's Black Swan or POTO, or Sasha's programs this year), sometimes Eteri's input is more clear (Anna Karenina).

zounger

Medalist

I guess he is more expensive as well, with not much of a difference results wise.

moriel

Record Breaker
I guess he is more expensive as well, with not much of a difference results wise.

tbh, currently, the only skater in Eteri's group who could probably afford Averbukh is Alina. Not sure if it is doable for the juniors.
And Alina does not strike me as an Averbukh type of skater.

leoleo

Medalist
Looking at how many skaters Eteri has and how many more she's gonna gain in the future (cause she loses many but the list of little girls wanting to work with her must be really long) i think it would be great if they could work with several different choreographers to explore different styles. Daniil is a hit or miss for me. He's created programs i've absolutely loved (Alina's Black Swan, Kostornaia's Stella's Theme, Sasha's Big Spender, Anna's new SP, Tarakanova's programs last season) but others i had a hard time appreciating. It's the same with every choreographer of course but having the same guy creating every program for all these girls could (in the future) cause the programs to look too similar. Or he could run out of ideas too who knows? :scratch3:
But Eteri herself gives many ideas in terms of choreography & programs so that should count as having two choreographers i guess...

madison

Record Breaker
Looking at how many skaters Eteri has and how many more she's gonna gain in the future (cause she loses many but the list of little girls wanting to work with her must be really long) i think it would be great if they could work with several different choreographers to explore different styles. Daniil is a hit or miss for me. He's created programs i've absolutely loved (Alina's Black Swan, Kostornaia's Stella's Theme, Sasha's Big Spender, Anna's new SP, Tarakanova's programs last season) but others i had a hard time appreciating. It's the same with every choreographer of course but having the same guy creating every program for all these girls could (in the future) cause the programs to look too similar. Or he could run out of ideas too who knows? :scratch3:
But Eteri herself gives many ideas in terms of choreography & programs so that should count as having two choreographers i guess...

They were pretty versatile last season with the programs. They captured the diversity of the skaters' personality and style well.

leoleo

Medalist
They were pretty versatile last season with the programs. They captured the diversity of the skaters' personality and style well.

they have done a good job so far, that's why i used "could". It would be interesting to see what kind of programs they could create with different choreographers.

bewitched

On the Ice
I wonder one thing about Evgenia. Before, when she was in Eteri's group, she could keep a track on how the other Russian competitors are doing, she knew Alina's strategy, success rate, mental state etc. Now when she is in Canada, I wonder if she has watched her SP and maybe analyzed it together with Brian to figure out how to top that technically and artistically when making her own SP...?
The same about the leaked videos of the juniors' test skates. The information about the Eteri skaters is easily accessible through social media and youtube but we got zero information about Evgenia at this point.

So my question is, do skaters and coaches keep an eye on the other teams to figure out at an early stage how to compose the programs and isn't it better to reveal your programs and skate them publicly as late as possible?

leoleo

Medalist
I wonder one thing about Evgenia. Before, when she was in Eteri's group, she could keep a track on how the other Russian competitors are doing, she knew Alina's strategy, success rate, mental state etc. Now when she is in Canada, I wonder if she has watched her SP and maybe analyzed it together with Brian to figure out how to top that technically and artistically when making her own SP...?
The same about the leaked videos of the juniors' test skates. The information about the Eteri skaters is easily accessible through social media and youtube but we got zero information about Evgenia at this point.

So my question is, do skaters and coaches keep an eye on the other teams to figure out at an early stage how to compose the programs and isn't it better to reveal your programs and skate them publicly as late as possible?

Coaches most likely do (Raf for example watches Hanyu closely) and i think some skaters too do keep an eye on their "rivals" but Evgenia has her own goals that do not necessarily have anything to do with her rivals. She doesn't just want to win, she wants to go all the way to Beijing and Brian said he talked to her and she knows she doesn't have to win every competition on the way to Beijing. I imagine they want her skating to improve in general : bettering her skating skills (she was talking very excitingly about how she's learned new small things like how to direct your blades and all that, i think they're working on skating skills) fixing her jump issues (which takes time especially for the flutz). Those things take time and obviously they're looking at the big picture and working towards long term achievements more than just looking to win all the medals in the upcoming competition; longevity is what she wants after all so i think they might not be too bothered by not knowing Alina's plans.

I have no idea why Evgenia hasn't revealed her programs so far. Maybe she just wants to surprise everybody with her new image (all eyes are on her, people are waiting to see how she does without her coaching team of 11yrs & curious about what the Evgenia ft Orser & Wilson collab will look like) or they're still working on her programs?
Maybe she's just learned the cruel art of letting your fans die in anticipation by giving little to no detail about your programs and layout from Hanyu :laugh2:

moriel

Record Breaker

It is not that common for juniors to get choreo from "outside" the team

moriel

Record Breaker
Coaches most likely do (Raf for example watches Hanyu closely) and i think some skaters too do keep an eye on their "rivals" but Evgenia has her own goals that do not necessarily have anything to do with her rivals. She doesn't just want to win, she wants to go all the way to Beijing and Brian said he talked to her and she knows she doesn't have to win every competition on the way to Beijing. I imagine they want her skating to improve in general : bettering her skating skills (she was talking very excitingly about how she's learned new small things like how to direct your blades and all that, i think they're working on skating skills) fixing her jump issues (which takes time especially for the flutz). Those things take time and obviously they're looking at the big picture and working towards long term achievements more than just looking to win all the medals in the upcoming competition; longevity is what she wants after all so i think they might not be too bothered by not knowing Alina's plans.

I have no idea why Evgenia hasn't revealed her programs so far. Last season we got to see a bit of her 9/11 LP at World Team Trophy and that was in April. Maybe she just wants to surprise everybody with her new image (all eyes are on her, people are waiting to see how she does without her coaching team of 11yrs & curious about what the Evgenia ft Orser & Wilson collab will look like) or they're still working on her programs?
Maybe she's just learned the cruel art of letting your fans die in anticipation by giving little to no detail about your programs and layout from Hanyu :laugh2:

I actually think that she just didnt have enough time to polish it, and showing a raw sp would be a PR disaster.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
She doesn't usually show programs, does she? So I'm not really all that surprised... more like a little impatient for September 9 :biggrin:

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
She doesn't usually show programs, does she? So I'm not really all that surprised... more like a little impatient for September 9 :biggrin:

Yeah, I think she never showed her programs before test skates in the previous years either. I'm very excited to see the FS at the test skates, although I'd like to see it with the costume and a good camera asap too ahah