2018-19 U.S. Men’s figure skating | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Men’s figure skating

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Men on 2018 An Evening With Champions cast list :):

Vincent Zhou: 2018 Olympian, 2-time US National Medalist, 2017 World Junior Champion, 2013 US Junior Champion​
Ross Miner: 4-time US National Medalist, 2012 Four Continents Bronze Medalist, 3-time ISU Grand Prix medalist, 2009 US Junior Champion
Alex Johnson: 2017 Nebelhorn Trophy Silver Medalist, 2013 International Challenge Cup Silver Medalist, 2009 US Junior Mens Bronze Medalist
Elladj Baldé: 2016 Nebelhorn Trophy Champion, 3-time Four Continents Competitor, 2008 Canadian Junior Champion
Kevin Shum: MIT Class of 2019, Beta Theta Pi, 2-time U.S. Junior Mens Silver Medalist, World Junior Championship Competitor
Kelvin Li: Harvard Class of 2021, 2-time US National Competitor, 2015 Midwestern Sectional Champion

https://www.aneveningwithchampions.org/cast.html

(Vincent actually has a schedule conflict: the EWC shows are on Fri-Sat Sep 14 & 15, and Vincent will compete on Fri Sep 14 in Men's FS at U.S. Classic.)

Paul Wylie once again is a host, along with Emily Hughes.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Not necessarily relevant to the US men specifically, but man, my heart hurts just thinking about Oleg Protopopov performing without his wife.

Although it is not clear to me whether "special guest" means Oleg will give a performance, the point about losing Ludmila remains the same. :(

On a happier note -- with a slight connection to U.S. men -- Sharita Taylor is in the cast.

A while back, Nathan had a memorable opportunity to surprise :shocked: :laugh:, to skate with :dance2:, and to receive big hugs :ghug: from Sharita and her sister Shaye, who both are Special Olympics skaters :bow:.

Good luck to Camden and Dinh at JGP Austria this week. :yay:

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
Competition chat: Update

This is a blanket post for all national threads as JGP Linz kicks off.

Just a reminder:pray:

Please keep all competition chat in the Competition forums. This includes scores, starting orders, elements, etc. Last week, we tried to encourage folks to post using their best judgement, however, some posters inevitably used various other threads as a replacement for the competition threads, and that is what we want to avoid.

Once the event is over, feel free to discuss in other Fan Fest, national threads, etc.

Should we find that folks are still discussing competition info in these threads, said threads will be closed until after the competition.

Thanks for you understanding and for supporting Golden Skate!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
This is a blanket post for all national threads as JGP Linz kicks off.

Just a reminder:pray:

Please keep all competition chat in the Competition forums. This includes scores, starting orders, elements, etc. Last week, we tried to encourage folks to post using their best judgement, however, some posters inevitably used various other threads as a replacement for the competition threads, and that is what we want to avoid.

Once the event is over, feel free to discuss in other Fan Fest, national threads, etc.

Should we find that folks are still discussing competition info in these threads, said threads will be closed until after the competition.

Thanks for you understanding and for supporting Golden Skate!

Sincere request for additional clarity, please:

What does "event" mean in this context?

For example, after the Men's SP in Austria is over on Thursday, will it be OK to discuss Camden's SP in this thread?

Or are you saying that it will not be OK to discuss Camden's SP until the entirety of JGP Austria is over on Saturday?​

(I am not complaining about this type of rule -- I just want to be clear on what exactly the rule is.)

ETA (on Aug 30):

I had copied my question into the Season Pass thread, and gsk8 answered my question over there:

Hi and thank you for your question. The event means the entire event.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
Can anyone tell me why Dinh Tran's final spin was invalidated in the SP at JGP Austria? Also he was given a deduction for a fall but I didn't see a fall? Hand went down on the 3A but that was it.

tosca

On the Ice
Congrats to Camden Pulkinen for a win in his first JGP this season. Also, not too shabby for Dinh Tran finishing top 10.

I love the talent in the US for men's skating. Such wonderful skating skills and interpretation. I hope Camden works with a spin coach though...

shmay

On the Ice
I thought Camden was judged quite generously tonight. That long program feels very, very dated and not worthy of his ability. And his catchfoot spins are just hideous

oly2018

Final Flight
I also wish he would get better programs. He is a beautiful skate and I feel like he deserves a more original program. Don't get me wrong, he performed and emoted the heck out of it, but why a warhorse!?

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Interview with Camden: http://figureskatersonline.com/news/2018/08/30/camden-pulkinen-building-his-springboard-to-success/

FSO: How did you decide on West Side Story for your free skate and how did you choose the specific pieces?

CP: I originally detested West Side Story. Not necessarily because of the fantastic story line or music, but because the music was so overused. One day, I was joking with Tom Dickson about music selections for this year and I teasingly made the comment, “Maybe I should skate to West Side Story.” He turned to me and said “that could work.” I ended up watching the movie again a month later, and I decided that I would skate to it. The famous piece “Maria” hasn’t been used too much in the skating world, so we crafted a mix of selections, being sure not put a unique twist on it. Now, I love my free skate program!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought Camden was judged quite generously tonight. That long program feels very, very dated and not worthy of his ability. And his catchfoot spins are just hideous

Camden skated the program so well with great expression and feeling. He deserved his score. Shimada was the only other skater to display any kind of presentation skill.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Can anyone tell me why Dinh Tran's final spin was invalidated in the SP at JGP Austria? Also he was given a deduction for a fall but I didn't see a fall? Hand went down on the 3A but that was it.

I expect the fall deduction was for the 3A, what I refer to generally as a "technical fall". Basically, his weight was over the hand and he would certainly have fallen without it - so the technical panel has (correctly) labelled it a fall.

Last spin was almost certainly invalidated because the second foot was far too high for a sit position and therefore the second foot didn't count. He is required to a have a change foot sit spin. Since the second foot didn't count, he didn't do a change foot sit, therefore invalid element.

And I have to say, if anything the tech panel was a bit light on him. I'm not sure I'd be giving those camels at this level. His free leg is very low.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Camden for gold :medal" at JGP Austria. :bow: :yay:

BTW:

He plans on including a quadruple toeloop in his second event in Ostrava (CZE).

The link also has a great photo of Camden with his friend Koshiro Shimada, who placed second.​

Noted!

Sean Rabbitt 223.83 Glacier Falls (14th)
Tomoki Hiwatashi 218.82 DuPage Open (12th)
Emmanuel Savary 210.28 Skate Dallas (18th)
Timothy Dolensky 209.29 Skate Detroit (7th)
Andrew Torgashev 206.41 Philadelphia (13th)
Camden Pulkinen 206.00 Broadmoor (1st -Junior)
Jimmy Ma 198.88 Philadelphia (11th)
Daniel Kulenkamp 188.10 Glacier Falls (17th)
Ryan Dunk 187.50 Chesapeake (4th - Junior)
Jordan Moeller 184.19 DuPage Open (15th)
Patrick Rupp 172.35 Glacier Falls (15th in 2015 Nationals)
Jordan Moeller 164.36 Broadmoor (15th)
Sebastian Payannet 163.93 Glacier Falls (19th)
Ben Jalovick 154.91 Broadmoor (16th)
Kevin Shum 149.64 U.S. Collegiates (21st)

New piece of data since Philadelphia International:
Over the weekend, Patrick Frohling won :) the Senior Men's comp at Golden West with a total score of 180.13.
(2018 Nats: 10th - Junior)​

ice coverage

Record Breaker