2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 56 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tidbits from GS Twitter #HPcamp18 with photos

[FONT=&quot]We learned what we are made of says Moore-Towers of last season and lifts will be exponentially harder says Marinaro[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Walsh and Michaud share that a rigorous summer of training included working on side-by-side triple loops and the throw triple lutz[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Ruest and Wolfe explain they’ve been training harder transitions this summer[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Reflecting on the summer, CDN champ [/FONT]@GabyDaleman[FONT=&quot] talks health, a break up, new training partners at the rink and pushing herself harder[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I learned anything can happen says [/FONT]@larkynaustman[FONT=&quot] of last season; the CDN bronze medallist has been working on consistency to SP set to Bang Bang and LP to The Sound of Silence in her off season[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2016 CDN Champ [/FONT]@AlaineChartrand[FONT=&quot] shares she considered quitting after last season but after time off and feeling “new and fresh”, will start school and has chosen a dark SP set to Westworld[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Weaver says they still have a passion for skating and competing; will skate their 2018/2019 competitive programs in the Thank You Canada tour to pick back up in January at Nationals[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]A fracture to Piper’s cheekbone from a fall on a lasso lift has slowed down the team’s recent training but the duo remains optimistic with their warmer SD tango motivated by their FD in 2017 and a FD inspired by VanGogh’s relationship with art[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2015 CDN Champ [/FONT]@namnamnoodle[FONT=&quot] now coaching and working at Figure Skating Boutique to contribute towards his training costs; says coaching gives him a newfound respect for coaches[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Fan favourite [/FONT]@KevinReynold20[FONT=&quot] says he wasn’t entirely satisfied with retiring after 4CCs and keen to compete again this year with music inspired by video gaming in the SP and LP[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Olympian [/FONT]@KeeganMOnline[FONT=&quot] says last season was the most fun he’d ever had; sad to see Patrick Chan go and no longer be able learn from him but says it’s his turn now to make himself better every day[/FONT]

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
[FONT="]Emotional, Weaver and Poje [URL="https://twitter.com/goldenskate/status/1034828316119916549"]explain[/URL] their choice of FD music to the Kazakh piece [/FONT]S.O.S d'un terrien en détresse[FONT="] as a tribute to Denis Ten [/FONT][/COLOR][URL="https://twitter.com/hashtag/HPcamp18?src=hash"]#HPcamp18[/URL]

I. Love. This. Team.

just a detail... it is a Franco-Canadian collaboration (Berger-Plamondon) a few singers made it popular but it's a 40 years old song ;) and recently, Dimash Kudaibergen put it back on the map, so the singer here is Kazahk,not the piece.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I think that Kaitlyn and Andrew could create something special and authentic with that music, having Denis, his life as an inspiration. One thing that I always associate their FDs in particular with is emotional authenticity, lack of creating just pretty, superficial image on ice - and I love that this season's choice is even more meaningful and deeper that their previous work. I believe that Denis would want that - to live in his friends' work, not only in their memories.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Tidbits from GS Twitter #HPcamp18 with photos

I found it interesting to see Keegan talking about Patrick, but it makes sense at the same time - I think that Patrick's longevity and quality of his skating were very influencial for all male skaters, regardless of age; Patrick really made a brand for himself out of his skating and made impact with it, that should inspire skaters to develop one for themselves. Keegan's words in relation to Patrick shows that he was a very important figure to be around, but also pushed Keegan to progress and work on himself.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Alvyne

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I think that Kaitlyn and Andrew could create something special and authentic with that music, having Denis, his life as an inspiration. One thing that I always associate their FDs in particular with is emotional authenticity, lack of creating just pretty, superficial image on ice - and I love that this season's choice is even more meaningful and deeper that their previous work. I believe that Denis would want that - to live in his friends' work, not only in their memories.

I think this song is quite fitting. In the musical Starmania, this song comes at the very end after the main character's girlfriend has been hit in a bombing and died in his arms. I just wish they had chosen a version sung by a French singer because the lyrics are quite incomprehensible though I understand why they chose this particular version. I guess I'll eventually get used to it.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think this song is quite fitting. In the musical Starmania, this song comes at the very end after the main character's girlfriend has been hit in a bombing and died in his arms. I just wish they had chosen a version sung by a French singer because the lyrics are quite incomprehensible though I understand why they chose this particular version. I guess I'll eventually get used to it.

i agree about the French... Dimash worked very hard and improved.. but yeah... but Dimash's voice has both the power and fragility... so I get goose bumps anyways....

beebee51

On the Ice
Country
United-States
In the video snippet on Twitter, Kaitlyn says “...found our own version...” so I think it is a different version than the one used by Denis.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
In the video snippet on Twitter, Kaitlyn says “...found our own version...” so I think it is a different version than the one used by Denis.

great.... so now ... which one is it... :) a friend of mine sang it so if it's him... well.. i am done

Lyssa

On the Ice
Country
France

YES !! Sorry Denis, even though I know it was your Kazak friend who sings it, nothing sounded good, verry sorry
When I first heard it, I recognized the tune but the lyrics were totally incomprehensible and I turned off the sound because it's a torture for my ears.

I hope it's Gregory Lemarchal version. She is magnificent :luv17:

Ziotic

Medalist
I wasn’t sure where else to post this, so here is what I chose.

I think Conrad training with Stephen and Jo has worked out well for him.

When Stephen skated, it was obvious that we was nervous and trying to control the pressure he’s under with a spotlight focused on him at a very young age. I think he did awesome and is really just looking for personal bests and achievements.

What I saw in Conrad on the other hand was a drive to make sure he doesn’t get left behind when he’s in such close competition to his training partners.

TGee

Record Breaker
I wasn’t sure where else to post this, so here is what I chose.

I think Conrad training with Stephen and Jo has worked out well for him.

When Stephen skated, it was obvious that we was nervous and trying to control the pressure he’s under with a spotlight focused on him at a very young age. I think he did awesome and is really just looking for personal bests and achievements.

What I saw in Conrad on the other hand was a drive to make sure he doesn’t get left behind when he’s in such close competition to his training partners.
I'd also say that, with Lee, Conrad has found his centre and is using his energy for the performance rather than being ruled by his nerves.

Suddenly looking grown up, and ready to move to international seniors in a season or two.

He says that a goal is to reach the top 5 at senior nationals this year. This shows he's seriously in the hunt.

Looking forward to seeing if the quads (toe and Sal at this point) are delivered in his FS.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i am not expecting a salchow... but 2 toes and 2 3axels :) but we will see.

About Conrad : I think that working with good choreographers for the first time in his life has also shown him he could be himself... and use his own body to be expressive. I have heard a tiny excerpt of him playing the piano... he is a rather good player, with fine musicality.... so seeing him last year, mimicking other skaters' style of movement just made me think that he just needed to find a choreographer who would understand his personality and bring it out.

His programs this year are miles ahead from those of last year. There are a lot of things that can bring in consistency or not... I will wait and see after the events of the entire season unfold to call him consistent or not.... He is capable of the best and sadly, at times, the worst. However, I agree that he better get his act together... Canada only has two spots at Junior Worlds and it's hard to imagine him getting one of these spots if he is not consistent enough, considering who is also competing for them... I hope that if Conrad or Jo doesn't get the junior world spot, one of them will be sent to senior b competitions ,then perhaps go to 4cc.

Haleth

On the Ice
Finally got to watch Conrad's SP, and was so pleased to see how he's improved since last year. It seemed clearer this time vs. earlier performances, though ymmv. He clearly has clicked with the music and choreo of the SP. My hope for tomorrow is that he's more relaxed than his last performances of it and able to improve upon them technically and artistically. I know anxiety is a terrible thing to deal with, and I hope Lee and the rest of Team Cricket will help him find that engaged calm more consistently. It's tough, though, and I don't expect perfection.

A gentle shout-out to Beresford as well!

nadster

Final Flight
i am not expecting a salchow... but 2 toes and 2 3axels :) but we will see.

His programs this year are miles ahead from those of last year. There are a lot of things that can bring in consistency or not... I will wait and see after the events of the entire season unfold to call him consistent or not.... He is capable of the best and sadly, at times, the worst. However, I agree that he better get his act together... Canada only has two spots at Junior Worlds and it's hard to imagine him getting one of these spots if he is not consistent enough, considering who is also competing for them... I hope that if Conrad or Jo doesn't get the junior world spot, one of them will be sent to senior b competitions ,then perhaps go to 4cc.

IMO both Conrad and Jo need to get senior B's now regardless of if they make the JW team or not. Both of them have at least a decent chance of getting a senior Worlds and/or 4CC sport this season so they need the senior minimums.

IMO both of them should have received senior B's last season.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Now that Linz is behind us:

- I was going to say "one step forward, one step back" in regard to Conrad, but honestly, that's not true. It was a step forward. He was better than he's ever been in the short program, and his free skate, while disappointing, was pretty much in line with some of his skates last season; it's not a step backward if he hasn't fixed everything in a couple of months.
- Since Canadian women are never stars in juniors, I look at the JGP more as a guide to how their development is coming along to gauge whether they might make good seniors in a couple of seasons. And by that measure, Emma Bulawka had quite a successful first outing. Lovely performance quality, and she got a triple-triple combination off successfully. Some deficits in terms of other triple jumps, but like I said, this is a long game.
- Junior pairs, nothing impressive, but I admit I don't follow junior pairs all that closely.
- Junior ice dance, where Marjorie and Zack got the silver -- between the nature of the discipline and their track record, they're really the only Canadian JGP competitors where silver at an individual event is a disappointing result, but it's a pretty mild disappointment (it's not like they lost their ticket to the Final or anything). The mysterious invalidation of their choreographic steps being the main culprit, though there were some other minor issues (while I love Ted Barton's commentary, that particular issue made me briefly wish I was watching CBC coverage, as I'm sure Carol Lane would have immediately spelled out what the issue was). Anyway, plenty of time to fix whatever it was, as well as improve some other areas. Conversely, Natalie D'Alessandro and Bruce Waddell had a great showing -- fourth overall, and third in the free dance (and of the two 14-year-old Canadian girls dancing to Carmen on the JGP this season, I'd given Natalie the edge over Nadiia).

Next week: onward to Kaunas, where Joseph will aim to capture his first gold medal.