2018-19 Russian Pairs' figure skating | Page 25 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Pairs' figure skating

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Bravo!!! Best advice ever! That's exactly what I always do.

Go out and get them, T/M!

Indeed, it just seems so weird! It's like "Oh no, I like them just fine! I just hate their programs, their costumes, their music..." :scratch2:

Anyway! I'm interesting in seeing how the other two Russian pairs there go too...I'm not familiar with them so I'm not sure what to expect.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Indeed, it just seems so weird! It's like "Oh no, I like them just fine! I just hate their programs, their costumes, their music..." :scratch2:

Anyway! I'm interesting in seeing how the other two Russian pairs there go too...I'm not familiar with them so I'm not sure what to expect.

We all know I love Pavliuchenko/Khodykin so I'll keep it short but they have a SBS 3F! Eteri worked with them on SBS jumps last year.

lavoix

Match Penalty
Oh man not the T/M bashing again, if you really don't like a couple just ignore them! It's aggravating having to read the same old complaints and "good advice" for them every single competition.

I really enjoyed their test skates and I'm very much looking forward to seeing them at Finlandia! I hope they kick butt!

Sweety I think you need to grow up, I'm their biggest fan, but if their programs are rubbish, let's not act like their sh!t don't stink....

lavoix

Match Penalty

Then how do you even know what's good or not??? If you don't even know who the other two pairs are (seriousy...)

lavoix

Match Penalty
Anyways, talking about the competition, their SP to I feel good really didn't make me feel good. They just can't pull of these types of programs. They've had the best SPs since they were young and this is just a downgrade.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Then how do you even know what's good or not??? If you don't even know who the other two pairs are (seriousy...)

Sorry, I wasn't picking on the other pairs, I hadn't seen them before so I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy their skating or not. Now I have seen them both and I thought they were both excellent.

My second paragraph didn't actually have anything to do with the first, that's why I put the 'Actually' there.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
While pairs skating is very very mediocre and perhaps their weakness in light of retirements, splits, injuries Russia still is in the medal hunt. The teams really benefitting should be the French. A world title could be their's. Russia always has a decent team, maybe not magical, with good decent pairs basics ready to challenge for top 3 or 5.

hanca

Record Breaker
We all know I love Pavliuchenko/Khodykin so I'll keep it short but they have a SBS 3F! Eteri worked with them on SBS jumps last year.

I think P/K should have spend their summer working on their basic skills and transitions. Last season they have been much more stable than Boikova/Kozlovski, but with the move to seniors B/K looks more like a senior pairs, whereas P/K’s skating skills are not quite there yet. The points they get extra for triple flip rather than let’s say triple toe is not as much as the points they will be losing on the PCS. I love P/K and would love them to have the third spot at the Europeans and worlds, but at this moment I think B/K has better chance to get it, as long as they remain consistent.

Kittosuni

Medalist
I think P/K should have spend their summer working on their basic skills and transitions. Last season they have been much more stable than Boikova/Kozlovski, but with the move to seniors B/K looks more like a senior pairs, whereas P/K’s skating skills are not quite there yet. The points they get extra for triple flip rather than let’s say triple toe is not as much as the points they will be losing on the PCS. I love P/K and would love them to have the third spot at the Europeans and worlds, but at this moment I think B/K has better chance to get it, as long as they remain consistent.

i think the reason why B/K loosing in the juniors is that they usually dont skate clean but people are already recognizing their potential to be big if they skate clean. Even at juniors some are already pointing out the "senior look" of B/K. P/K's consistency is their biggest asset. Skills wise they are good but lower in quality thus lower GOE compared to B/K.

Lana05

Final Flight

Still there are only 3 spots for Euros and Worlds. And also so few during JGP. Maybe not this year but the next one they will be good enough for more than 2 GP events. P/K can work on SS later. Right now M/G, B/K, T/M and maybe P/K / A/K will fight for spots (I like Z/E but I guess they already showed their maximum and not better than other teams)

hanca

Record Breaker
i think the reason why B/K loosing in the juniors is that they usually dont skate clean but people are already recognizing their potential to be big if they skate clean. Even at juniors some are already pointing out the "senior look" of B/K. P/K's consistency is their biggest asset. Skills wise they are good but lower in quality thus lower GOE compared to B/K.

Yes, but B/K first season they were also looking very juniorish. Then they came back for their second season and there was a huge difference in their skating skills and transitions. If B/K could do the work within one off season, I am sure P/K can do it too. You are saying that people started pointing out that B/K had the ‘senior look’ even last year, but the senior look didn’t come without work. They worked on it and it improved. I am aware that P/K’s strength last year ws consistency, but there is no reason why they couldn’t spend the off season working on improving their PCS.

esteticlove

Final Flight
Watching Tarasiva/Morozov's free made me so emotional and sad because it made me realize how much I miss seeing Volosozhar/Trankov competing and that no current Russian pair will be soon at their level. :sad21:

Still, I think that this style suits T/M the best in comparison to what we've seen in the last years and I am hoping that Maxim will help them to grow and expand their horizons. I like the costumes from the FP, especially Evgenia's. I love the choreography of the free, the music builds a momentum until the end where the lifts begin. But they should really work on their presentation, why are they always so disconnected from the music :( No comment on the technique, they have some big issues there that need to be addressed.

It's really hard to be a fan of them, at least for me. I see that they have so much potential but kind of don't fulfil it, such a shame! I have no words about the SP, it's horrific. The contrast between both programs is unbelievable. Maxim said he chose the music for the free, but who chose it for the short? I could give them some slack if this happened for the first time but didn't they learn their lesson after last season :noshake:

lavoix

Match Penalty
Watching Tarasiva/Morozov's free made me so emotional and sad because it made me realize how much I miss seeing Volosozhar/Trankov competing and that no current Russian pair will be soon at their level. :sad21:

Still, I think that this style suits T/M the best in comparison to what we've seen in the last years and I am hoping that Maxim will help them to grow and expand their horizons. I like the costumes from the FP, especially Evgenia's. I love the choreography of the free, the music builds a momentum until the end where the lifts begin. But they should really work on their presentation, why are they always so disconnected from the music :( No comment on the technique, they have some big issues there that need to be addressed.

It's really hard to be a fan of them, at least for me. I see that they have so much potential but kind of don't fulfil it, such a shame! I have no words about the SP, it's horrific. The contrast between both programs is unbelievable. Maxim said he chose the music for the free, but who chose it for the short? I could give them some slack if this happened for the first time but didn't they learn their lesson after last season :noshake:

Splendidly put!

All their SPs since their senior career have been fantastic. Until this year. WTF? Their SP last season was amazing. Their SP in 2017 was also fun but in a sophisticated way. This new SP is just a mess and required me to bleach my eyes. Like, why? This is not the style they should be going for!

Their FP is, however, quite nice. Their costumes are beautiful, they will work more on the overall presentation between now and their first GP.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
In junior pairs at Minsk-Arena Ice Star, we will see Khabibullina/Balchenko, Vislobokova/Briukhanov, and Pepeleva/Pleshkov
And in seniors we will see Pavliuchenko/Khodykin

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I love T/M, even if last season I was rooting for S/M, and I am now mostly in favour of J/C. I like their new Free programme even if they did not skate it well at Finlandia. There still is time to improve (though not that much time as GP's will be happening soon). But what about their connection? It felt totally off tbh, and believe me that's not what I want at all. I want them to be good, and even win, but please with that connective feeling. The worst thing would be (for me) for them to win an important competition like the GPF or Worlds while you get the feeling there's no connection what so ever. They don't have to be an off ice couple or something (I think there are many pairs or ice dance couples who have shown us that it's not necessary to be a couple off the ice to still show a connection), but it would be nice if they showed some friendship, understanding, whatever. I'm missing that most of all, and if the elements don't work, that's the most important thing to still make everybody love a skate even with a lot of mistakes. Arghh! I enjoyed that from Katia and Harley this time a lot more than from T/M. Really a shame.

lavoix

Match Penalty
The connection will come with time, I think Trankov already knows that.

Though I don't know how you establish that in their current SP. No couple probably could. This crazy jazzy style is so difficult for them because I find them a more refined/conservative couple in terms of their skating and expression.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I had to go to Wiki to remember what their SP was last season, because it wasn't memorable to me. Looking at their history, the only program that I remember positively was the electro-swing SP from 2016-17. That was actually really good. The Rachmaninoff SP was ok, and so was the Irish dance. But "amazing"...well, that's going a bit far. I am really baffled that it is so hard to find any music that really fits them. Don't they listen to music in their free time? If there is no taste to begin with, then it makes the job of the choreographers twice as hard. The new LP music is inoffensive, but too subtle for them. Sleep inducing if they don't inject some personality and energy...and I'm not sure they have it in them.

Boikova/Kozlovskii are growing on me a bit. At least they are memorable, they have charisma. The other pair at Finlandia, I couldn't pick out of a lineup. Mishina/Gallyam have potential. We'll see.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I had to go to Wiki to remember what their SP was last season, because it wasn't memorable to me. Looking at their history, the only program that I remember positively was the electro-swing SP from 2016-17. That was actually really good. The Rachmaninoff SP was ok, and so was the Irish dance. But "amazing"...well, that's going a bit far. I am really baffled that it is so hard to find any music that really fits them. Don't they listen to music in their free time? If there is no taste to begin with, then it makes the job of the choreographers twice as hard. The new LP music is inoffensive, but too subtle for them. Sleep inducing if they don't inject some personality and energy...and I'm not sure they have it in them.

Boikova/Kozlovskii are growing on me a bit. At least they are memorable, they have charisma. The other pair at Finlandia, I couldn't pick out of a lineup. Mishina/Gallyam have potential. We'll see.
Mishina/Galliamov had potential to be consistent (don't want to jinx them by any means), which will give them a huge advantage, plus three triples of course. Nastya is 17 which means she is probably already where she is going to be unlike the bunch of 15 year old girls in other pairs who can start growing in various directions at any moment. M/G need to work on levels and rotating that second 3S, they have a year to do that.

I don't want to bash T/M by any means but I do have certain questions for Trankov at this point.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
As for Pavlyuchenko/Khodykin, what in God's name is their LP music mix? I thought Gleikhengaus was bad. How do they plan to get high PCS with a program that makes you want to run to answer the phone?