2018-19 Russian Men's figure skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Russia doesn't usually send anyone to Volvo as a senior, I think because it doesn't count as a SB competition. They are sending two junior ladies, a ton of junior dance teams, three junior pairs, etc. And the only other thing Russia's entered anyone in is advanced novice ice dance.

But it's something and the kids can still gain experience. I just want all the junior boys to get as much experience as possible outside of Russia.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
But it's something and the kids can still gain experience. I just want all the junior boys to get as much experience as possible outside of Russia.

Oh, I agree with you. Would be nice to see more skaters, too. Like, just one boy? why not two? or three? heck, junior ice dance has probably seven or eight, so why not eight? :biggrin:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh, I agree with you. Would be nice to see more skaters, too. Like, just one boy? why not two? or three? heck, junior ice dance has probably seven or eight, so why not eight? :biggrin:

Well I think the club pays to send them to these so money may be tight.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Probably she has too many students. She is not used to having so many at once. But Marina is there and she takes care of Artur, Kirill, and Kutovoy and overall, they all look so much better than the ladies with better programs and costumes (Artur/Kirill). As far as levels, even Kirill had level 2 steps in Kaunas (SP) but it was promptly corrected so I hope the same happens for Artur. Kid is too talented to be losing medals like that :roll5:

And I'm so biased when I say this but thank goodness Artur appears to be Elena's #1 :yes2: Just what I wanted :devil:
Nobody forced her to take on so many students. Ok, Polina she was pressured into taking, but why take Gubanova and then pay 0 attention to her? :curse: I hope Artur is luckier.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nobody forced her to take on so many students. Ok, Polina she was pressured into taking, but why take Gubanova and then pay 0 attention to her? :curse: I hope Artur is luckier.

:eek:topic: I actually think Gubanova gets a lot of attention. She seems like her number 1 female skater honestly since Maria/Elena have other stuff going on and like you said with Polina she was pressured. Plus Anastasia seems in better shape than the other ladies. She did have that boot issue (changed manufacturers) so that was a setback for her.

Sergei does his own thing and I don't know about Kovtun, he seems like he is mostly with choreographers or Uspenski.

I think she just needs to bring in better experts. Tchernyshev apparently helped with Artur's step sequence in the LP and I'm not sure how up to date he is (or Mikhailov) on how to achieve a certain level. So yeah, she needs to get guys on board who can better deal with these things.

Also Artur said he is not there yet on his spins, he is just doing what he can for now but will restore them.

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany
So, to put it mildly, this weekend was not the highlight we expected.

Erokhov was a wild card for this season, but while his jumps are good, his presentation is weak. I hope he won't take Samarin as a skater-model.

Question about Russian Cup: why was Voronov's PCS smaller than Samarin's in FS? This is a genuine question, not a rhetorical one. I really want to understand what the judges see more in Samarin than in Voronov. Three points in FS are a lot!

Tutto

Record Breaker

Erokhov was a wild card for this season, but while his jumps are good, his presentation is weak. I hope he won't take Samarin as a skater-model.

Question about Russian Cup: why was Voronov's PCS smaller than Samarin's in FS? This is a genuine question, not a rhetorical one. I really want to understand what the judges see more in Samarin than in Voronov. Three points in FS are a lot!

CSKA clearly think Samarin is more promising long term Voronov's age is against him IMHO

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

Because the scores are 100% political with no basis in reality.

Erokhov is not the most expressive skater, but I'd prefer to watch him over Samarin any day of the year.

vorravorra

Record Breaker

Because Samarin showed a quad lutz. RusFed is in love with the 4Lz.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
:eek:topic: I actually think Gubanova gets a lot of attention. She seems like her number 1 female skater honestly since Maria/Elena have other stuff going on and like you said with Polina she was pressured. Plus Anastasia seems in better shape than the other ladies. She did have that boot issue (changed manufacturers) so that was a setback for her.

Sergei does his own thing and I don't know about Kovtun, he seems like he is mostly with choreographers or Uspenski.

I think she just needs to bring in better experts. Tchernyshev apparently helped with Artur's step sequence in the LP and I'm not sure how up to date he is (or Mikhailov) on how to achieve a certain level. So yeah, she needs to get guys on board who can better deal with these things.

Also Artur said he is not there yet on his spins, he is just doing what he can for now but will restore them.
If this is what you get when Buyanova pays a lot of attention to you, maybe she should seek attention somewhere else. Turenko's attention was somehow more productive. Political pull is all well and good, but actual coaching still matters. Plus she got zero benefit from that political pull so far.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Sorry but for me Erokhov is wooden. Take away his jumps, there is nothing there. He probably would do better if he went the Samarin route. At least he would be more entertaining and less vanilla. His programs didn't work for me this weekend and neither for the judges. But it's his first go out so we can see if he improves but he wasn't good last season either at least to me his presentation seemed unauthentic :confused2: I'd rather see him skate to Kongos not Rach and certainly not Bocelli.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If this is what you get when Buyanova pays a lot of attention to you, maybe she should seek attention somewhere else. Turenko's attention was somehow more productive. Political pull is all well and good, but actual coaching still matters. Plus she got zero benefit from that political pull so far.

That's what people get for trying to switch to CSKA/Buyanova for politics :p I feel sorry for any girl trying to breakthrough Team Eteri. Good luck to her and all the rest not in Eteri's camp.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Sorry but for me Erokhov is wooden. Take away his jumps, there is nothing there. He probably would do better if he went the Samarin route. At least he would be more entertaining and less vanilla. His programs didn't work for me this weekend and neither for the judges. But it's his first go out so we can see if he improves but he wasn't good last season either at least to me his presentation seemed unauthentic :confused2: I'd rather see him skate to Kongos not Rach and certainly not Bocelli.
Erokhov is that way totally independently of Samarin. Kolyada and Aliev have it easy so far in the sense that there is a chasm between them and the competition in PCS. Waiting for skaters like Gumennik and Danielian in seniors with quads, maybe Vetlugin will actually get better jumps?

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Erokhov is that way totally independently of Samarin. Kolyada and Aliev have it easy so far in the sense that there is a chasm between them and the competition in PCS. Waiting for skaters like Gumennik and Danielian in seniors with quads, maybe Vetlugin will actually get better jumps?

We can hope for the juniors but anything can happen. I mean who was leading in the last generation? Who survived? Puberty will take some out, injury, or not being able to get the hard jumps. Hell we may end up with Rukhin and Frolov as the leading men for all we know.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
We can hope for the juniors but anything can happen. I mean who was leading in the last generation? Who survived? Puberty will take some out, injury, or not being able to get the hard jumps. Hell we may end up with Rukhin and Frolov as the leading men for all we know.
I am so relieved Kolyada and Aliev made it, more of wooden top Russian men would have been too much.

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany

Till this season the chasm was not so big. Last season showed that it was pretty close between them, so it was not easy at all to get to the Oly. Even now if Samarin brings the big jumps at national, he will get in the team without problem (as we see, with bigger PCS than Voronov). At this point in time i hope that Kolyada and Aliev positions in team are not threatened by Kovtun and Erokhov but ice is ice, quads are quads and the game is still open.

What i mean with the "Samarin way" for Erokhov was more time investing in doing quads than learning to perform / spins/ edges/ choreography/polishing. I think as well that Erokhov is more wooden and bland while Samarin is pretty sloppy in everything apart jumps, but jumps bring the big points and we see at least in Russia also big PCS.

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany

Don't remember me of Pitkeev :sad21:

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Still happening, Ignatov seems to have fallen through the cracks, Efimchuk... They were actually nice to look at. Skirda of course grew and disappeared. Russian (I suppose not only) guys have this problem where the average height is too tall for singles but not tall enough for pairs. It is interesting because it's not that tall skaters can't do quads at all, it's that they have a huge problem pulling them together in a program consistently, their size works against them (somebody even calculated statistics, can't remember where).

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Add also the loads of injury a youth growing (too) quickly can get, especially through wear of growing still weak bones. I think loads of coaches don't know how to deal with growing teenagers and the load of quads/ hard elements. Plushenko has already spoken in his interview that his back problems began in his youth by not knowing how to regenerate the body / how to distribute the work-load. When i see every year promising youth who disappear from the skating scene because problems with their growth, i wonder why we are keep speaking about puberty only related to the girls.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

i'm more confident with Mozalev than Gumennik and Danielian: he's only 15 but already has the 4T so he can work on other quads while staying in juniors, and his jumping technique reminds me of Javi, with great running edge and using the knees on the landings. Artistically he can still improve a lot but he's not nearly as bad as Samarin, also i don't know much about the coaching team.

Gumennik could really be a superstar: he has charisma, great posture and he's a performer, and you can see with the spins and cool combinations like the 3A-3lo that he always wants to show something unique, but if it is true that parents pushed for the coaching change because Mishin was trying to work with him on "scary jumps" like quads, then i don't know how he can stay competitive in seniors without quads. I suppose he will try those with a slow entry like he does for the Axel going for the elevation instead of the ice coverage (similar to what Nam Nguyen does), we need to see it first.

Danielian is still super young, 14 years old means he will stay in juniors for other 3-4 seasons competing with Gogolev and again no quads (which is totally fine given the age but we have to see those at some point)

Status
Not open for further replies.