2018-19 Russian Men's figure skating | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Men's figure skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
i'm more confident with Mozalev than Gumennik and Danielian: he's only 15 but already has the 4T so he can work on other quads while staying in juniors, and his jumping technique reminds me of Javi, with great running edge and using the knees on the landings. Artistically he can still improve a lot but he's not nearly as bad as Samarin, also i don't know much about the coaching team.

Gumennik could really be a superstar: he has charisma, great posture and he's a performer, and you can see with the spins and cool combinations like the 3A-3lo that he always wants to show something unique, but if it is true that parents pushed for the coaching change because Mishin was trying to work with him on "scary jumps" like quads, then i don't know how he can stay competitive in seniors without quads. I suppose he will try those with a slow entry like he does for the Axel going for the elevation instead of the ice coverage (similar to what Nam Nguyen does), we need to see it first.

Danielian is still super young, 14 years old means he will stay in juniors for other 3-4 seasons competing with Gogolev and again no quads (which is totally fine given the age but we have to see those at some point)
Gumennik is training 4S, so I don't think his parents forbade quads for the rest of his natural life. Maybe they wanted to wait when he was a bit older? He still looks like a kid even now at 16. I wonder if anyone has seen his parents, is he likely to grow much taller?

linkintank

Rinkside
Gumennik is training 4S, so I don't think his parents forbade quads for the rest of his natural life. Maybe they wanted to wait when he was a bit older? He still looks like a kid even now at 16. I wonder if anyone has seen his parents, is he likely to grow much taller?

I remember reading that they had left because Mishin was hardly there because he was going to shows all the time and he focuses more on his star pupils - Liza and whoever he has at the moment (Kostner?). I remember Gumennik and Nugumanova both left at the same time.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I remember reading that they had left because Mishin was hardly there because he was going to shows all the time and he focuses more on his star pupils - Liza and whoever he has at the moment (Kostner?). I remember Gumennik and Nugumanova both left at the same time.

No, Mishin kicked them out. For sure Liza, Petr I will have to double check. He gave an interview and/or Tatiana Flade mentioned it on FSU :think:. Liza because she was not working hard enough and because of her mother and Petr was something, I want to say it was his mother but I would have to search for that article.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No, Mishin kicked them out. For sure Liza, Petr I will have to double check. He gave an interview and/or Tatyana Flade mentioned it on FSU :think:. Liza because she was not working hard enough and because of her mother and Petr was something, I want to say it was his mother but I would have to search for that article.

Found it. Tatyana Flade post on FSU: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/from-russia-with-love-27-summer-2017.101295/post-5086088

When I was in Tartu I talked to Mishin and he told me that he did not take Lisa Nugumanova and Petr Gummenik to the training camp because of disciplinary reasons. According to him, Lisa was not listening anymore and she and her mother thought apparently she is a big star. As for Petia, he said that the mother is a problem ("skating mom").

Now the post quoted by Flade does say according to Liza she left on her own but didn't explain. So maybe Mishin disciplined them, didn't take them to camp, and then they decided to leave. Following the thread there was on going issues with Liza from December too, so.....

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Found it. Tatyana Flade post on FSU: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/from-russia-with-love-27-summer-2017.101295/post-5086088
Now the post quoted by Flade does say according to Liza she left on her own but didn't explain. So maybe Mishin disciplined them, didn't take them to camp, and then they decided to leave. Following the thread there was on going issues with Liza from December too, so.....
Wasn't it because they got some extra coaching on the side from Daineko and Mishin didn't like it? Or at least it was the last straw. Both originally went to Daineko, but Liza left after Daineko decided to concentrate on boys while only preparing girls for pairs.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Whatever the case, I'm grateful to Mishin for setting Petr free. And also for refusing to take Dima when he asked years ago. I would have hated to see them turn out like Petrov, Dmitriev, Liza's boyfriend...

And it's nonsense that Petr's parents didn't want him training quads btw.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Whatever the case, I'm grateful to Mishin for setting Petr free. And also for refusing to take Dima when he asked years ago. I would have hated to see them turn out like Petrov, Dmitriev, Liza's boyfriend...

And it's nonsense that Petr's parents didn't want him training quads btw.

The thing is Mishin wanted Petr to be really the next russian superstar so they started to work on 3A since he was 14, in theory by the time he's 18 he should have had all quads ready like Nathan Chen.

It's possible that parents didn't want him to train difficult elements when he was that young, maybe they are fine now but that technically he's taking a slower approach, which means less quads ready by the time he turns into seniors.

I don't know how much Mishin affected negatively Lazukin and Dmitriev and how much they weren't just great talents, or they had other issues to solve (like injuries or other things): Dmitriev in particular looks the kind of skater that is there only because his father is really pushing him.

Lazukin is getting better each season, not sure how far he can go but he has good programs this season and he did well at Lombardia Trophy.

While Petrov had its rough years with injuries in between but like Petr he started competing at international events way earlier than the other skaters to the point at his fifth season in seniors he's still only 19, so he has still time to improve and make a statement. Personally i think his artistry and skating skills are underrated. For what it's worth he was good at the last domestic event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIxDfJm70oQ

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I believe Petr has been through some injuries that have probably messed with anyone's "plans." Either those of his coaches or his parents.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
After 3 Cup events, 2 remaining

Road to Senior Nationals-Men (name + point total)

Savosin 26 (qualified)
Milyukov 20 (qualfied)
Lezheev 18 (more than likely qualified)
Kovalev 14 (maybe)

Still have 1 event left
Murashov 11
Petrov 11
Kokovkin 7
Katichev 5
Vlasenko 4
Shulepov 3
Maslenin 3
Rukhin 2
Vetlugin 1

Already qualified

Lazukin GP
Kolyada GP
Erokhov GP
Dmitriev GP
Voronov GP
Aliev GP
Samarin GP
Gumennik JGPF

Ten spots TBD from Cup series.

Mozalev cannot qualify, he competed already in the Junior series and thus, cannot compete on the Senior one.

I do not expect Danielian/Iakovlev to try and qualify for this. They have never competed in a senior competition (domestically) plus they are not currently scheduled for the 4th Cup event (sr nor jr).

ETA: I will do the junior boys qualifications later after I return home from Skate America.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Also forgot to mention the comeback kids. Kovtun and Samoilov are scheduled for Kazan (Cup IV) in about 2 weeks, and Artem Frolov and Mark Kondratiuk for the junior cup series (no w/d yet). I expect Semenenko to also compete here (in juniors). Good luck to them all :yahoo:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nine junior spots TBD by Cup series.

After 3 Cup events, 2 remaining

Road to Junior Nationals- Men (name + point total)

Samsonov 30 (qualified)
Letfullin 22 (it's going to be a nail-biter)

Still have 1 event left
Yablokov 15
Sviridenko 13
Skirda 13
Kutovoi 11
Kunitsa 11
Golubev 11
Sarnovsky 9
Polianskii 9

No one else who has already participated in at least 1 event has a chance.

Still to debut
Frolov
Semenenko
Kondratiuk

Scheduled for Cup IV, skaters from Moscow
Yablokov
Skirda
Kutovoi
Sarnovski
Frolov
Kondratiuk

Already qualified
Danielian JGP
Rukhin JGP
Savosin JGP
Kovalev JGP
Murashov JGP
Iakovlev JGP
Mozalev JGP
Vetlugin JGP
Gumennik JGP

A few people will not make it. Sadly on 8 spots left :popcorn::drama:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Andrei Mozalev is assigned to junior men at the Volvo Open Cup, November 7-11

He is not in the line up anymore :drama: Have no clue who Efremov is :slink:

Some news update:
Ignatov has been scheduled for Tallinn Trophy with Kovtun and Savosin! Makes me wonder if we will see Ignatov at the last 2 Cup events to try to qualify for nationals :think:
http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat03108936.htm

Kovtun is getting ready for Kazan this coming week. Sneek peak at his SP: 4s+3t and 4t https://www.instagram.com/p/BpwjBPBhwCd/
And because someone asked for his 3a, here it is https://www.instagram.com/p/Bpw6WlqB2zX/
He looks great!!! Now lets see what he looks like under pressure!

Erohkov is struggling with injury but is still scheduled for Rostelecom for now. I wish him well on his recovery :sad4:
Interview were he mentions an ankle/back injury. Seems he injured his back right before test skates http://flutz.ru/aleksej-eroxov-v-den-kontrolnyx-prokatov-zashhemilo-spinu/
For those who can understand Russian, here is his video interview from Novogorsk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHzjKHD6FgU

Cup of Russia IV (Kazan) is this week, boys and men start on the 7th.
Moscow preliminary entry list https://www.sportvokrug.ru/competitions/4723//participants/
Livestream will be by ЮниорТВ

Moscow preliminary entry list for Cup V (Moscow), registration is still ongoing https://www.sportvokrug.ru/competitions/4708//participants/

Aliev makes his season GP debut at NHK this week and Voronov will join him. Kolyada making the GPF isn't completely out of the realm of possibility. Let's see how Voronov and Aliev cope.

Miliukov will be competing next week at Alpen Trophy (Challenger event).

And with that, good luck to them all :cheer:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
The state of Russian Men is very concerning right now, even more than last season.

Only one skater qualified for Junior Grand Prix final (last year they had 2), granted this time Gumennik is the only skater who qualified with two golds.

Seniors are even more concerning, as there is a chance no one qualifies:
- Voronov medalled at Skate America but he doesn't look as strong as he was last season, we'll see at NHK.

- Kolyada 4th place today is not the end of the world but the level of two performances was very disappointing. He could be the next World Champion at his best, but will we see him skate a clean SP and a clean FS? Also he ditched the 4ltz for the 4s which is perhaps even more inconsistent (last season he landed the 4ltz at Ondrej Nepela and then at the Cup of China, this season zero 4s landed so far)

- Erokhov should have been the new rising star from juniors and he's been struggling with injuries.

- Samarin did well at Skate Canada but not enough to medal, and again worse than last season.

- Lazukin was disappointing today, you could see how even Mishin expected more from him in the free skate, and before this competition he was on the right track.

We'll see Aliev next week.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
- Kolyada 4th place today is not the end of the world but the level of two performances was very disappointing. He could be the next World Champion at his best, but will we see him skate a clean SP and a clean FS? Also he ditched the 4ltz for the 4s which is perhaps even more inconsistent (last season he landed the 4ltz at Ondrej Nepela and then at the Cup of China, this season zero 4s landed so far)

"At his best," lol. Doesn't exist. He is never going to develop this character that everyone seems to think he has hidden somewhere. He's had more than enough opportunities to show it, he gets every gift in the world given to him by judges and the Fed, and every time it's the same old story. Just look at him and Hanyu back to back. One has the aura of a champion, one looks like he's going to the gallows every time he steps on the ice.

Do not count out Dima, and I'm sure Sergei will be much better than at SA.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
"At his best," lol. Doesn't exist. He is never going to develop this character that everyone seems to think he has hidden somewhere. He's had more than enough opportunities to show it, he gets every gift in the world given to him by judges and the Fed, and every time it's the same old story. Just look at him and Hanyu back to back. One has the aura of a champion, one looks like he's going to the gallows every time he steps on the ice.

Do not count out Dima, and I'm sure Sergei will be much better than at SA.

It's not hidden, you look at his 3a and that is probably the best axel you can see in men's figure skating, you look at the spins and those are all very fast and centered, you look at the skating skills and the presentation and he's also good on that. The programs he has this seasons are also very good, the right picks for top skater, Lambiel is one of the best choreographers in Europe.

He has everything, and judges are ready to give him huge scores, but he has to pull it together.

I suspect both Mikhail and Stanislava don't train much their programs, or it's never a full run-through, and like i said i don't quite understand the strategy: if he's inconsistent with all the quads except the Toe, just do two quad toes with maybe one in the second half, or add a 4ltz even if it is a planned fall because it is still worth more. I don't see the point of pushing the salchow if he doesn't get consistent with it.

At the end of the day, it's all very simple: out of 100 attempts, how many times he landed the 4s in practice and during a run-through?

Dima, i'm not counting him out but he has to train the spins more and in general he needs a strong outing since he's also very inconsistent and judges are not going to save him when he bombs.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
It's not hidden, you look at his 3a and that is probably the best axel you can see in men's figure skating, you look at the spins and those are all very fast and centered, you look at the skating skills and the presentation and he's also good on that. The programs he has this seasons are also very good, the right picks for top skater.

He has everything, and judges are also ready to give him huge scores, but he has to pull it together.

Hanyu would like to have a word with you.

Kolyada is a headcase and Silverfoxes is right when he/she says that Kolyada looks like he's going to the gallows when he skates.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Hanyu would like to have a word with you.

Kolyada is a headcase and Silverfoxes is right when he/she says that Kolyada looks like he's going to the gallows when he skates.

He has maybe more transitions and the unexpected entry, but Kolyada's axel has height and distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.