Gracie Gold in-depth interview | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold in-depth interview

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I don’t know the context and believe the video was taken down. I also know nothing about this person or his history.

But from how the comment is described, it sounds like something you’d hear from a depressed person who has had significant suicidal ideation. They are often critical of themselves for NOT being able to go through with it. It’s something I’d expect from someone who has come very close but then encounters fear or the self preservation instinct and thinks that they just aren’t “strong” enough to overcome this. Whereas you hear people in the general population describe people thinking about or completing suicide as being “cowards,” or “weak” or “selfish.”

Suicide is complicated, it can involve a variety of complex motivations and different risk factors. But we shouldn’t be glorifying it as needing “strengh” to complete. We also shouldn’t be shaming suicide as that may make people thinking about it less to reach out for help or feel like they can talk about their experience.

This is the entire quote:

"I meet you and I find out how real you are and how transparent you are and how strong you are. And it's funny because we got into a conversation a couple months ago with, you know, other people that have really struggled with thoughts of suicide, to the point that really kind of making the decision that today is the day I'm going to take my life. And it's funny because a lot of people out there would say, you know, people who kill themselves are not strong- they're weak. However, it's completely the opposite. I'm not strong enough to kill myself, I know that. Because I went to that point, Gracie. You know what I'm saying? And it's crazy to think that way, but you gotta think about how incredibly strong you have to be to actually get to a point where you say 'Ok, I'm done. I'm out. I do not see a light at the end of the tunnel'."

I agree with you that it sounds like he may have a kind of suicide ideation- which is similar in a way to glorification, but slightly different. Glorification implies praising or adoration, which is an important distinction to make here.

Suicide is absolutely complicated! That's why this topic is so tough to talk about here, especially when on a forum. Again, I am not trying to justify or agree with this man's words, just pointing out that this statement - and entire topic - is not so black and white.

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
This is the entire quote:

"I meet you and I find out how real you are and how transparent you are and how strong you are. And it's funny because we got into a conversation a couple months ago with, you know, other people that have really struggled with thoughts of suicide, to the point that really kind of making the decision that today is the day I'm going to take my life. And it's funny because a lot of people out there would say, you know, people who kill themselves are not strong- they're weak. However, it's completely the opposite. I'm not strong enough to kill myself, I know that. Because I went to that point, Gracie. You know what I'm saying? And it's crazy to think that way, but you gotta think about how incredibly strong you have to be to actually get to a point where you say 'Ok, I'm done. I'm out. I do not see a light at the end of the tunnel'."

I agree with you that it sounds like he may have a kind of suicide ideation- which is similar in a way to glorification, but slightly different. Glorification implies praising or adoration, which is an important distinction to make here.

Suicide is absolutely complicated! That's why this topic is so tough to talk about here, especially when on a forum. Again, I am not trying to justify or agree with this man's words, just pointing out that this statement - and entire topic - is not so black and white.
I was able to find the actual interview but this transcript is also helpful. I found a lot of it problematic and it sounds like this guy has a lot of distorted or depressed thinking patterns.

Glorification is the wrong word. Although it does happen in media, my understanding is “13 reasons why” does this. Stories ala Romeo and Juliet can also glorify suicide (although obviously I wouldn’t advocate censoring Shakespeare). But he is painting suicide with words like “strength” making it sound praiseworthy. He’s saying that someone has to be “strong” to feel so hopeless that they complete suicide.

Again, suicide is complicated. It’s often an impulsive decision or one made under the influence of alcohol/drugs. It can be a response to terminal illness or physical pain, not just emotional. It can be a response to life events like loss of a loved one or loss of a job. But the language this interviewer is using is extremely problematic as he’s describing someone being to the point that they have a plan and are prepared to go through with it but aren’t “strong” enough.

I also feel really bad for this guy’s daughter. I did not like the way he was discussing his parenting approach. Also, some of his comments about his business and personal “success” felt really forced and indicative of someone with issues.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am very uncomfortable talking about the interviewer, bringing up his personal life, and slicing and dissecting his comments.:disapp:

The important part of this post is the interview that Gracie gave, the answers that Gracie gave, and what we learned about Gracie.

All else is irrelevant :slink:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Dreaded double post, but hard to edit on mobile for me....

Evidently the interviewer commented on the re-uploaded video that Gracie’s “management” asked him to take the interview down and he did so out of respect for Gracie. (This is news about the interviewer that I feel is related to Gracie). He asked the “reposter” to take it down. I read this on another forum, I have not seen it myself.

So those who thought it could be an agent’s decision may have been correct....