3 Satoko MIYAHARA 5
-> 4 Sofia SAMODUROVA 10
-> 5 Polina TSURSKAYA 5
Loena HENDRICKX

Men: 40 :dumb:
1 Nathan CHEN 15
2 Sergei VORONOV 10
3 Vincent ZHOU 5
4 Morisi KVITELASHVILI :laugh15: 0 ( yeah, it was a huge bet :laugh: :shame: )
5 Matteo RIZZO 10

Pairs: 65 :yes2:
1 Evgenia TARASOVA / Vladimir MOROZOV 15
2 Alisa EFIMOVA / Alexander KOROVIN 15
3 Ashley CAIN / Timothy LEDUC 15
4 Alexa SCIMECA KNIERIM / Chris KNIERIM 15
5 Annika HOCKE / Ruben BLOMMAERT 5 :hslap:

Dance: 75 :party:
1 Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE 15
2 Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI 15
3 Tiffani ZAGORSKI / Jonathan GUERREIRO 15
4 Lorraine MCNAMARA / Quinn CARPENTER 15
5 Lilah FEAR / Lewis GIBSON 15

215 don't seem so bad, but we are so many.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
The misspelling of "Efimova" and the hyphen in "Scimeca Knierim" likely caused the scoring algorithm to not be able to read those predictions correctly so points weren't counted for them

Is there a scoring algorithm now? It used to be done by hand, so to say. :think:

ines42575

On the Ice
Country
Uruguay
ICE DANCE RESULTS

Gold medallists, with 75 points: Arriba627, Baron Vladimir, CanadianSkaterGuy, century2009, Chris Cooper, Colonel Green, danse, DanseMacabre, Debrah, GINO, glorybox6, hydroblader, IceAge1986, icedance, itofan, kathisteff, lavenderblossom, lusterfan, marulia, MelDee, MrECartman, Off My Rocker, Pandicorn, Phireye, Pippuripihvi, randomfan, Roast Toast, SubRosa, sunnystars, surimi, sweetice and voolfee.

Silver medallists, with 70 points: bakedpotato, bennorii. casualfan, Cherryy, concorde, dodobirdo, el henry, Graciegold2018, haribobo, invisiblespiral, Kirei, Koatterce, Nirti, Poice, ptskate, ruga, semosk8tfan, Seren, Shedi0806, sisy, TheBallerina, Tolstoj, tosca, vesperalvioletta and yume

Bronze medallists, with 65 points: AidenAiena, alinaharry, alyssamarie, Antyv, apgold, Canadianskatingfan, charmblade, corynna, Crossover, Daniel1998, Hyena, IceBallerina, Klarnet, lost3iron, lutz, Lyssa, maggieanne, MalAssada, moonstruck, Moxiejan, Mrs. P, NoNameFace, npavel, NYscorp6, rachno2, readernick, Ruby999, [email protected], schizoanalyst, Seven Sisters, Skategmt, Skatie, SkySkater, SnowWhite, StitchMonkey, vincb17, Winry and Ziotic.

P.d. 1: complete results are up in the scoresheet.
P.d. 2: as usual, if you have any doubt regarding your score, just ask me.

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
Still can't believe I went 5 for 5 with ice dance of all disciplines. I know nothing about ice dance. Nothing.

Klarnet

On the Ice
Samkrut and concorde are correct. In this example, Polina is indeed moved up to 5[SUP]th[/SUP] position because of Loena's withdrawal.

This is one of those strange situations where somebody withdrawing actually works against the player.

Fortunately, it doesn't happen that often.

CaroLiza_fan

But has Loena not withdrawn, Polina would be in 6th place and 6th place does not count,right? Only first 5 places. And it depends on how Loena would have done. If she bombed it would be 0 points for the player, so we don't know for sure that it worked against the player, 5 points is still better than 0.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
ICE DANCE RESULTS

Gold medallists, with 75 points: Arriba627, Baron Vladimir, CanadianSkaterGuy, century2009, Chris Cooper, Colonel Green, danse, DanseMacabre, Debrah, GINO, glorybox6, hydroblader, IceAge1986, icedance, itofan, kathisteff, lavenderblossom, lusterfan, marulia, MelDee, MrECartman, Off My Rocker, Pandicorn, Phireye, Pippuripihvi, randomfan, Roast Toast, SubRosa, sunnystars, surimi, sweetice and voolfee.

So i finally got the gold... and i need to share it with 30 other people :roll5: :biggrin:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
would take a while with over 200 players! :drama:

Depends on how you define 'a while' - it took me about 40-60 mins to score out by hand and put scores in the spreadsheet and then to prepare post with podium/summary, not much in my book. And for me it is a great exercise for a brain to score out by hand, spot some 'trends', who for example predicted also 6th place correctly etc. But it's just my weirdness.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Is there a scoring algorithm now? It used to be done by hand, so to say. :think:

would take a while with over 200 players! :drama:

Yes it would, but when I helped score it around two seasons ago, we did it by hand. I don't think we had quite as many players back then, however :biggrin::thumbsup:

Oh, yes, quite a bit has changed since you were scoring, satine.

Samkrut developed this algorithm which makes the scoring process a lot quicker and simpler. There is still a good bit of stuff that the scorers have to do themselves, but the spreadsheet does the calculations itself. Which is a godsend when you have as many players as we do nowadays.

Some scorers still prefer to do it manually, though. And, curiously enough, it tends to be the younger scorers that prefer doing it manually. Which is the opposite of what I would have expected.

Personally, I prefer using the algorithm.

But, at the end of the day, it is best that the scorers do it whichever way they are most comfortable with, be it manually or using the algorithm.

CaroLiza_fan

Weathergal

Medalist
Depends on how you define 'a while' - it took me about 40-60 mins to score out by hand and put scores in the spreadsheet and then to prepare post with podium/summary, not much in my book. And for me it is a great exercise for a brain to score out by hand, spot some 'trends', who for example predicted also 6th place correctly etc. But it's just my weirdness.

NoNameFace, I have the same feelings on scoring! It doesn't take me that long to score by hand and definitely helps spot some trends. For me, the longest part is copying and pasting the predictions into a spreadsheet. Love that there are more players this year. I'll definitely get a workout scoring Men's for Skate Canada this week!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
NoNameFace, I have the same feelings on scoring! It doesn't take me that long to score by hand and definitely helps spot some trends. For me, the longest part is copying and pasting the predictions into a spreadsheet. Love that there are more players this year. I'll definitely get a workout scoring Men's for Skate Canada this week!

Glad to hear that!:)

It also helps me to memorize more names of posters participating, I think it is a good thing - I see who is new and who participated in past years. And with Men the workout could be REAL:laugh:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Oh, yes, quite a bit has changed since you were scoring, satine.

Samkrut developed this algorithm which makes the scoring process a lot quicker and simpler. There is still a good bit of stuff that the scorers have to do themselves, but the spreadsheet does the calculations itself. Which is a godsend when you have as many players as we do nowadays.

Some scorers still prefer to do it manually, though. And, curiously enough, it tends to be the younger scorers that prefer doing it manually. Which is the opposite of what I would have expected.

Personally, I prefer using the algorithm.

But, at the end of the day, it is best that the scorers do it whichever way they are most comfortable with, be it manually or using the algorithm.

CaroLiza_fan

When I did it manually it took hours because I always made mistakes and had to check and recheck. Another advantage of the algorythm is that you have the results immediately after the competition is over. With manual approach you just start then and...the spreadsheet for SA is still half empty and SC starts in just 2 days.

Weathergal

Medalist
When I did it manually it took hours because I always made mistakes and had to check and recheck. Another advantage of the algorythm is that you have the results immediately after the competition is over. With manual approach you just start then and...the spreadsheet for SA is still half empty and SC starts in just 2 days.

I score manually and normally have the results up with the spreadsheet filled out and an analysis posted shortly after the competition - or normally no later than that Sunday evening. Of course I probably just jinxed myself for this weekend... :laugh: I think the algorithm is great and am appreciative of your efforts to create it and of all the work of CaroLiza_fan and the scorers, no matter which method is used. Please don't get me wrong. It is partly I found it a bit confusing (my failing I am sure!) and partly, like NoNameFace, I tend to be analytical and like to see the different patterns emerge and get more familiar with the players.

I

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I score manually and normally have the results up with the spreadsheet filled out and an analysis posted shortly after the competition - or normally no later than that Sunday evening. Of course I probably just jinxed myself for this weekend... :laugh: I think the algorithm is great and am appreciative of your efforts to create it and of all the work of CaroLiza_fan and the scorers, no matter which method is used. Please don't get me wrong. It is partly I found it a bit confusing (my failing I am sure!) and partly, like NoNameFace, I tend to be analytical and like to see the different patterns emerge and get more familiar with the players.

I

When I was scoring dance, I did it all by hand because I could never get the algorithm to work. But then I'm a computer idiot so I figured better safe (by hand) than sorry (by a program I probably would have screwed up!).

Antyv

On the Ice
When will the results for men and ladies in the spreadsheet? I hope that everything will be ready tomorrow? It's time for SC to submit a prediction, but there is still no these results.