Costumes | Golden Skate

Costumes

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
First thing I want to note: please keep this friendly and constructive. I realise we all will disagree a lot on the costuming. But I still would like to open up a thread on the issue.

I'll just start with my definite favourites this season (I won't be taking any costumes I liked last year along), and I already know people are going to disagree because my number one is (or rather: are): Nicole della Monica and Matteo Guarise's Free skate costumes. I've already noted that quite a few posters don't really like Matteo's costume, but I just love it. It's so fitting to a skate to music about Tristan and Isolde. Mind you, there's a love story going on, dating back to the time of the legendary King Arthur - who may or may not have existed - from the early 5th century. Of course one can't truly dress up as late Roman or early Saxon royalty, but this combination of outfits is quite fitting to the period. Love them.

In firm second place are Vanessa James and Morgan Cipris, if only because Vanessa's outfits are perfect in showing her lines. I recall some people having a problem with the placing of the glitter on the back. I don't. Not at all.

Third, oddly enough, is Kolyada's Free Skate outift. I've seen many Carmens (haven't we all?) but Michael's suit is just wonderful. Not primarily black as we usually see men performing to Carmen, but with the red very much present. Not a surprise when it's a woman performing to Carmen, but with men they tend to stick to blacks with a red accent. Not Kolyada though.

What are your favourites? I don't mind any mentioning of slightly negative vibes, but please no thrashing of costumes. All skaters want to look good and fitting within their programmes. Even if they choose polka dots and yellow (I happened to like the yellow tie with polka dots last year), no need to be abominably negative about any one's choices!

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Eunsoo Lim's fringey flapper dress is everything I've ever wanted out of a Chicago costume. It's so perfect, the fringe is such an underrated material and moves so nicely. Similarly, Sofia Samodurova has the feathery/fringey thing going on too for her Burlesque program, and I love it. That girl has three beautiful outfits this year, actually; her other comp dress is stunningly sparkly, and her exhibition dress is adorable too.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
First thing I want to note: please keep this friendly and constructive. I realise we all will disagree a lot on the costuming. But I still would like to open up a thread on the issue.

I'll just start with my definite favourites this season (I won't be taking any costumes I liked last year along), and I already know people are going to disagree because my number one is (or rather: are): Nicole della Monica and Matteo Guarise's Free skate costumes. I've already noted that quite a few posters don't really like Matteo's costume, but I just love it. It's so fitting to a skate to music about Tristan and Isolde. Mind you, there's a love story going on, dating back to the time of the legendary King Arthur - who may or may not have existed - from the early 5th century. Of course one can't truly dress up as late Roman or early Saxon royalty, but this combination of outfits is quite fitting to the period. Love them.

Actually blue would have been an extremely unusual color to see in British fabrics in the early Medieval period, given that the two primary sources of natural blue dyes - indigo and woad - were extremely rare and extremely valuable and pretty much nonexistent in England at the time. Whatever else you can say about their costuming, being "quite fitting to the period" really isn't one of them. By the 14th and 15th century yes, blue was increasingly seen as the ultimate "royal" color, but not until then.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
^ Golden Skate is my primary source for learning new words. Woad. :rock:

I watched a really interesting documentary about the history of colors, and blue is probably the most interesting of all. Like you don't see much blue in pre-Renaissance painting, until they started importing lapis lazuli. Unfortunately lapis can only be found in one place: Afghanistan. So because it was so valuable, lapis lazuli blue was used almost exclusively for the Virgin Mary (usually a cape or mantle).

Yes, I'm a nerd.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Actually blue would have been an extremely unusual color to see in British fabrics in the early Medieval period, given that the two primary sources of natural blue dyes - indigo and woad - were extremely rare and extremely valuable and pretty much nonexistent in England at the time. Whatever else you can say about their costuming, being "quite fitting to the period" really isn't one of them. By the 14th and 15th century yes, blue was increasingly seen as the ultimate "royal" color, but not until then.

Sounds like you and Rohene Ward might have the same source materials:biggrin:

Jason's unfortunate dull yellow pants for his Tristan & Isuelt program a few years ago were based on Rohene's, probably correct, belief that gallant knights of the early medieval era would wear leatherish pants, and Jason's costume pants should be the color of said dead animals. Until Kori finally said, I don't care, black looks better.

Now, who's to blame for the bowling shirt, that's a different story;)

rachno2

Record Breaker
There are so many, but I think Anna Tarusina has my favorite dress of the season. The dress itself is classy enough as it is, but the little bit of red in the back takes it to another level. Alena Kanysheva's FS dress is divine. I also love Satoko's SP dress from ACI and Skate America; I wish she hadn't changed it :dev2:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
^ Golden Skate is my primary source for learning new words. Woad. :rock:

I like the word 'woad' beyond its actual meaning. Some words are like that.

------
on the topic, there are so many 'favorite' dresses and costumes, but agree with the OP on Vanessa James' costumes both in the SP and FS, everything is complementary, and works!
Eunsoo's LP dress is gorgeous!

RIP Satoko's dresses...they are still good, but her first dresses were my favorite. :sad21:

Last edited:

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
God, I forgot.... unpopular opinion. I LOVE Alexei Bychenkoā€™s Dracula outfit.

He committed fully to the theme and I think itā€™s awesome.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION šŸ”„
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sounds like you and Rohene Ward might have the same source materials:biggrin:

Jason's unfortunate dull yellow pants for his Tristan & Isuelt program a few years ago were based on Rohene's, probably correct, belief that gallant knights of the early medieval era would wear leatherish pants, and Jason's costume pants should be the color of said dead animals. Until Kori finally said, I don't care, black looks better.

Now, who's to blame for the bowling shirt, that's a different story;)

Oh those pants -- RIP! I still have nightmares about those...And what can we say about Team USA's men's love of the bowling shirt?! :laugh2:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands

Hahaha...the Picts painted themselves all over with woad. Not in clothing but on their bodies. They used that in their fight against the Romans. Before King Arthur even turned up. So, not non-existent in the time (in a well researched book on Anglo-Saxon dress early 6th century it is also mentioned, and worn). Rare, perhaps. Only among the high ranking. So, I'll stick to the 'fitting to the period'. However, I was talking more of the design which of course is not exactly fitting, but it has a distinct cut that does look rather appropriate.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
Am I the only one who actually liked Carolina Kostner's bright green sparkly Faun costume she wore at Europeans?

Asides from that I really adore costumes of Vanessa and Morgan - so contemporary and so sleek and cool.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I really like Piper Gilles and Paul Poitier's FD costumes this year - her blue and gold echoing the swirls and colours of a Van Gogh painting, and his smock-like shirt suggesting a painter. And I particularly love one thing you probably can't see except on film, which is the tiny dashes of coloured paint on the front of his shirt. They may not be visible to a live audience, but I bet they're of immense value to him in creating the character and getting into the right headspace for the program, and they become a little visual bonus for those of us watching on telly, too!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Am I the only one who actually liked Carolina Kostner's bright green sparkly Faun costume she wore at Europeans?

Asides from that I really adore costumes of Vanessa and Morgan - so contemporary and so sleek and cool.

Nope, I liked Carolina's Faun costume too, and was saddened that the reaction was such that she didn't wear it again. It looked so nice!

lappo

Final Flight
I really like Stepanova/Bukin dresses for both programs and I liked their dresses for the past two seasons, since they went for a simpler, sleaker look than the past.