2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 164 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Bradie is a lock. Mariah is the most likely for the second spot. Ting could play spoiler if she nails two clean programs. But historically, they'll go with Bradie and Mariah because they have the experience.

Doesn’t Ting still compete as a junior internationally? Her SB is only 172-174.

frida80

Record Breaker
Doesn’t Ting still compete as a junior internationally? Her SB is only 172-174.

Her first senior comp is in a few weeks. The reason I mention her is because her SP is one of the highest internationally by a US lady this year. If she can just nail her FS her scores would rise precipitously. Judges love her jumps, her spins are good, and she has a excellent BV. It's actually higher than Mariah's.

I normally wouldn't put her in the mix, but after Karen in 2017 it's clear that anything could happen at nationals if you go clean. I saw her at Eastern Sectionas last weekend and she's looking looking better than JGP. I'm hoping it clicks next week.

But if Mariah does well at Golden Spin, they'll want her to go to Worlds so it will be interesting to see how everything pans out.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Yes but domestically Ting skates as a Senior. She got 1st as a Senior at Easterns this past weekend.

I thought people were talking about the World Team, though? Is there a competition where she could get senior minimums? She’s not currently scheduled for Golden Spin. I think she’s really talented.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I thought people were talking about the World Team, though? Is there a competition where she could get senior minimums? She’s not currently scheduled for Golden Spin. I think she’s really talented.

Ting is on the list for Talinn, next week. Karen also is listed; we’ll see if she shows up.

concorde

Medalist
Ting has spectacular jumps!

I have seen her skate a couple of times in person and she is WOW! Videos do not do her justice.

oly2018

Final Flight
Is Ting a possibility for one of the worlds spots? I don't really understand how that works

I see some people mentioning that, but I don't see why USFS would do that. Yes, she has done well post JGP, but she wasn't as solid on the JGP, which is a bigger stage than sectionals. I just don't see why USFS would put her on a HUGE stage like Worlds, when she hasn't had to perform under that kind of pressure. Then again, stranger things have happened.

bennorii

On the Ice
Is Ting a possibility for one of the worlds spots? I don't really understand how that works

If Ting is able to get her senior TES mins at Tallinn Trophy (which she has already been assigned to), then she will be eligible to go to senior Worlds. I think the fact that USFS is sending her to a Senior B demonstrates that they will give it to her if she performs well.

If she places 2nd at Nats (or 3rd if Alysa 3As her way to the top), given that Bradie will be 1st, the fed will highly consider sending Ting to Worlds given her high scoring potential that is probably equal to Mariah's. Even though Ting is competing on the JGP, she can post high scores (as evidenced by her 70+ SP score that some other American ladies have yet to achieve this season). Her recent performances at Eastern Sectionals (181 total score) is very respectable. Judges love her elements, giving her high GOEs, as well as high PCS.

There is a precedent to this. At 2014 Nats, Polina Edmunds had been competing on the JGP and had never competed at a senior international competition up until then. Her first senior international competition was the Olympics. Thus, it wouldn't seem odd to send Ting if others don't perform as well.

mrrice

Record Breaker

We only have 2 spots, right? If they all go clean, do you really think they'll have Ting ahead of Mariah and Karen? I still have Bradie retaining her title and I know Ting and Alysa are great but, they still seem quite immature on the ice when compared to Mariah and Karen. I guess we'll see.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
If Ting is able to get her senior TES mins at Tallinn Trophy (which she has already been assigned to), then she will be eligible to go to senior Worlds. I think the fact that USFS is sending her to a Senior B demonstrates that they will give it to her if she performs well.

If she places 2nd at Nats (or 3rd if Alysa 3As her way to the top), given that Bradie will be 1st, the fed will highly consider sending Ting to Worlds given her high scoring potential that is probably equal to Mariah's. Even though Ting is competing on the JGP, she can post high scores (as evidenced by her 70+ SP score that some other American ladies have yet to achieve this season). Her recent performances at Eastern Sectionals (181 total score) is very respectable. Judges love her elements, giving her high GOEs, as well as high PCS.

There is a precedent to this. At 2014 Nats, Polina Edmunds had been competing on the JGP and had never competed at a senior international competition up until then. Her first senior international competition was the Olympics. Thus, it wouldn't seem odd to send Ting if others don't perform as well.

Of course, the difference was that Polina had a much better Junior record than Ting, having won both her JGP events and placed 4th at the final. She had shown more consistency internationally than Ting has.

That's not to say they won't send Ting if she places high at Nationals, but I also wouldn't be shocked if they skipped for for say Mariah, if Mariah were to place close behind. I can see it going both ways. A solid showing at Tallinn with two strong program would help her case for sure, since right now she hasn't had a great comp internationally this season.

bennorii

On the Ice
Of course, the difference was that Polina had a much better Junior record than Ting, having won both her JGP events and placed 4th at the final. She had shown more consistency internationally than Ting has.

That's not to say they won't send Ting if she places high at Nationals, but I also wouldn't be shocked if they skipped for for say Mariah, if Mariah were to place close behind. I can see it going both ways. A solid showing at Tallinn with two strong program would help her case for sure, since right now she hasn't had a great comp internationally this season.

Actually now that I think about it, getting on the podium at Nats will help her a lot at Junior Worlds, which she'll likely go to.

frida80

Record Breaker
With Ting, if she is the second highest scoring senior eligible lady and Mariah has a similar score as her, they'll go with Mariah just like they went with Jason over Vincent. USFS prefers to send the person with more experience when there are slots on the line. Ting hasn't been consistent this season, though she's shows remarkable potential. That could change if she clean or near clean at Tallin and scores around 195 and Mariah scores lower than that at Golden Spin.

There's also Karen, but historically it takes several months to come back from injury.

The good news for Ting, even if she doesn't get go to Worlds they will send her to 4CC in the US. I think the podium is out of the question with Bradie, Rika, Satoko, (3rd Japanese girl who's bound to be really good!), Yelim and Eunsoo. But it will give her valuable points that will put her higher in the rankings at Junior Worlds.

Huh.... I think I wanna go to 4CC now.

oly2018

Final Flight
I think it makes more sense to send her to Junior Worlds. I am curious to see if these PCS and GOE scores hold up at a senior level competition because I agree with a previous poster that she lacks maturity on ice, but I expect that because she is so young.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I feel certain that the Worlds spots will go to the top two age-eligible finishers at Nationals. No one has a compelling "body of work" this season, not even Bradie (unless she does great at her last GP). Courtney Hicks had a GP silver at NHK in 2015 and couldn't even get bumped up to 4CC with her low Nationals placement. Having said that, I think Bradie will have very favorable judging at Nationals if she needs it because she is clearly the top US woman right now and the USFSA wants to see her at Worlds.