2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 166 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While swimming is also an individual event, swimmers share the pool with other swimmers during their event. In skating, all eyes are on you.
Lots of bad skates are remembered because they are so horrible and I think about all cringe when they are mentioned.

Well I tend to get lapped....:laugh2:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'm a horrible swimmer. I compete at the Senior Olympic (old fart) level. I have yet to not come in last at any event. Well, I typically win butterfly, but that's because not many other old farts swim it and I'm usually the only one in my age group. So I guess technically every swim for me is a bad swim. So I can't compare it to someone who's actually competitive.

I went to college after my professional dance career ended and I can tell you. I had some exciting performances just doing home football games and concerts. It may take a while but, I hope Gracie gets to this point. It really is too bad that they no longer have Pro-Ams. I remember seeing Rosalynn Sumners dazzle a crowd with doubles and Kristy Yamaguchi was the queen with a Triple Toe. I have to wonder if Gracie's heart is fully into this. If so, expect to see a drastic improvement of her SP in Russia.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
The worst that the ladies can do to get 3 spots is place 6th and 7th, which may be hard... Ice is slippery though...

Very hard. Japan will field a strong team, and it looks like Russia will have good options for their third spot, too. Those two countries alone could keep the Americans out of the top 6 spots, and that doesn't even account for the strong skaters from other countries.

Icey

Record Breaker
The technical level in women's skating is advancing quickly and significantly imo, and some skaters are going to be left behind in the dust. Some skaters in the top tier now won't even be part of the conversation when the Olympics come around. A few skaters are already technically nipping at Alina's heels.

Would Gracie won't to compete if there are no medals in her future?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I went to college after my professional dance career ended and I can tell you. I had some exciting performances just doing home football games and concerts. It may take a while but, I hope Gracie gets to this point. It really is too bad that they no longer have Pro-Ams. I remember seeing Rosalynn Sumners dazzle a crowd with doubles and Kristy Yamaguchi was the queen with a Triple Toe.

I loved the Pro-Ams myself. Maybe Adam can resurrect them.:laugh2: But from what I can tell from the limited amount she has posted on social media, she *still wants to skate competitively* at this time. Now I am taking what she says at face value, which may be my mistake, but I choose to believe what she says.

mrrice

Record Breaker
There's no telling what triggers an eating disorder. As a dancer, like skating, there was constant pressure. MUCH more so for the ladies. I can only imagine how pair skaters deal with it. At least certain things can be hidden with smart costuming which is why I think Gracie's problem is more toward the mental side. There's no telling what could trigger a relapse. I remember dancers leaving the stage in tears after their partner grunted during a lift. IMO, Gracie needs all the support she can from coaches and fans alike. If she were to miss Nationals, that means her season is basically over before it began.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
If that is the case, exactly when is her next her competition? It won't be at a GP event next year since she has used her "comeback" option. And it won't be at at Nationals unless she makes it through both the Regionals and Sectionals qualifiers. So that means it would be at a summer competition. I assume Philly since it is held at Ice Works and that is her home rink. Other thoughts?

If Gracie wants to continue competing, it would be great to see her aim for a strong showing in the summer competitions. If she's closer to her best form, she can get Skate America and some Senior B assignments. The USFSA isn't going to send her to international events not being able to land a 2A and at least a few different triples, nor should they.

mrrice

Record Breaker
If Gracie wants to continue competing, it would be great to see her aim for a strong showing in the summer competitions. If she's closer to her best form, she can get Skate America and some Senior B assignments. The USFSA isn't going to send her to international events not being able to land a 2A and at least a few different triples, nor should they.

I agree. Frankly, it would shock me to learn that she feels confident knowing she doesn't have those jumps back. She's still young enough to try again next season with a different mindset. She really does have to start during the summer and hope that she can get a GP that way. She no longer has the come back option so, she really has to buckle down.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
The technical level in women's skating is advancing quickly and significantly imo, and some skaters are going to be left behind in the dust. Some skaters in the top tier now won't even be part of the conversation when the Olympics come around. A few skaters are already technically nipping at Alina's heels.

Would Gracie won't to compete if there are no medals in her future?

Gracie in 2016 would be the best American skater right now and also be competing for world podiums. There's always some slim chance that she could recapture that form and, if she does, be in the mix at any competition. It's probably the case that the more time passes out of her best condition, the less likely it is for her to regain it.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There's no telling what triggers an eating disorder. As a dancer, like skating, there was constant pressure. MUCH more so for the ladies. I can only imagine how pair skaters deal with it. At least certain things can be hidden with smart costuming which is why I think Gracie's problem is more toward the mental side. There's no telling what could trigger a relapse. I remember dancers leaving the stage in tears after their partner grunted during a lift. IMO, Gracie needs all the support she can from coaches and fans alike. If she were to miss Nationals, that means her season is basically over before it began.

I "told" her (through Twitter) the following: 1. I love you. 2. Hope to see you at Nationals IF that's what YOU want and 3. You could never disappoint me. I know, I'm crazy.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gracie in 2016 would be the best American skater right now and also be competing for world podiums. There's always some slim chance that she could recapture that form and, if she does, be in the mix at any competition. It's probably the case that the more time passes out of her best condition, the less likely it is for her to regain it.

Don't we have a 30 yo pairs skater who competed as a singles skater and was off for like a decade before she came back as a pairs skater?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Michelle's last worlds was under COP and she finished off the podium.

I seem to remember her having problems at GPs that season also. Been awhile, so my memory may not be the best.

I seem to remember her having problems at GPs that season also. Been awhile, so my memory may not be the best.

Michelle was long finished with the Grand Prix at that point. Her last Grand Prix event was 2002 Skate America. (And she didn't want to do that, but the USFSA "made her an offer she couldn't refuse." ;) )

Edit: As for 2005 Worlds under CoP, her performance wasn't a total bust. She scored 200.19 points in a scoring format that also factored in the qualifying round. She actually got third in both the SP and the LP, but a disastrous qualifying round opened the door for Carolina Kostner to edge her out for the bronze medal with a total score of 200.56.

Of course there was no catching Irina Slutskaya at that competition, the finest of Irina's career. :rock:

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Michelle was long finished with the Grand Prix at that point. Her last Grand Prix event was 2002 Skate America. (And she didn't want to do that, but the USFSA "made her an offer she couldn't refuse. ;) )

Edit: As for 2005 Worlds under CoP, her performance wasn't a total bust. She scored 200.19 points in a scoring format that also factored in the qualifying round. She actually got third in both the SP and the LP, but a disastrous qualifying round opened the door for Carolina Kostner to edge her out for the bronze medal with a total score of 200.56.

Of course there was no catching Irina Sltskaya at theat competition, the finest of Irina's career. :rock:

Yeah, well, my memory is like a sieve. I can barely remember who was at Skate America this year, let alone 2002!

Yeah, well, my memory is like a sieve. I can barely remember who was at Skate America this year, let alone 2002!

Ah, Skate America, 2002, in my hometown of Spokane, Washington. My first live figure skating competition (as a spectator, I mean. :laugh: ) I remember it like it was yesterday. :laugh:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ah, Skate America, 2002, in my hometown of Spokane, Washington. My first live figure skating competition (as a spectator, I mean. :laugh: ) I remember it like it was yesterday. :laugh:

Yes, I remember Boston and Worlds 2016, before my sister died. And Gracie's short program....and her long program. I "told" her (Twitter again)..4 days driving, one speeding ticket, one named winter storm, saw you skate, all worth it.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Michelle was long finished with the Grand Prix at that point. Her last Grand Prix event was 2002 Skate America. (And she didn't want to do that, but the USFSA "made her an offer she couldn't refuse." ;) )

Of course there was no catching Irina Slutskaya at that competition, the finest of Irina's career. :rock:

Not to get off topic but I recall team Kwan strategy was to keep things simple and gain points based on the cleanness of the positions and elements. Because it was the beginning of her injury woes her base value wasn't as high as Irina's or Sasha's but they seem to be under the impression that she could get high goe anyway if she was really clean and neat. Of course it totally backfired when shaky spirals and sloppy traveling spins by Irina and Sasha still scored higher then the more secure and cleaner spirals and spins by Michelle simply because of the higher base. It was first first, and turns out only, competition under COP so obviously she didn't know what to expect and wasn't ready.

macy

Record Breaker
regardless of if she competes at nationals, i even think doing some club competitions next summer would be beneficial in additions to any senior b's she might do. i think any competition exposure at any level would be beneficial to her if she's really serious about a 4 year plan. no shame in that.