Interview with Boyang Jin | Golden Skate

Interview with Boyang Jin

GGFan

Record Breaker
Thank you Tavi! The interview was fascinating and in some ways concerning. Thoughts:

1. What kind of bureaucratic mess is going on in China? Is Boyang somehow disfavored for not listening to superiors (e.g.not going to Brian)? The visa issues sound highly suspect. Since when can the visa office not get visas done on time?

2. Hate all of this pressure he's feeling from the media and others. One of the great things about Boyang is that got where he was somewhat unconventionally but happily. Not everyone needs that many cooks and eyes in the kitchen.

3. His not wanting to talk to people including his Mom sounds so introverted. I totally get it. I would suck at the media and social sides of figure skating.

4. I love that despite all of this he's getting more involved in his career. He's being more collaborative with Lori, for example. He knows what he needs to work on.

5. Crossing my fingers for him. The pressure is only going to ramp up on the way to 2022. I felt so bad for Liu Xiang (the hurdler) when he couldn't run in 2008. Home pressure is unlike anything else.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
More than anything I hope he has the right support team - coaches, family, friends, people at his Fed. It seems like both he and Zhenya are dealing with a lot of pressure and a lot of negativity on social media.

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
What he said about feeling pressure to skate well so people wouldn't criticize his choices after the whole Orser/Canada thing reminded me a lot of what Evgenia said about her move. It'd be nice if people got off these skaters' backs and let them live their lives and do what they felt was best for their training without using any mistakes as opportunities to gloat over how they made the "wrong" choice.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I love his opinion about men's skating.

I wonder if his stamina issue has to do with the move in Beijing. New training environment, new way to train.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
What he said about feeling pressure to skate well so people wouldn't criticize his choices after the whole Orser/Canada thing reminded me a lot of what Evgenia said about her move. It'd be nice if people got off these skaters' backs and let them live their lives and do what they felt was best for their training without using any mistakes as opportunities to gloat over how they made the "wrong" choice.

Definitely...it's a no-win situation. Nobody can be sure they would be doing better if they made the alternative choice. Fans are not privy to 99% of what goes on in a skater-coach relationship and the rest of the training environment and it's really none of their business.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Thanks so much for sharing this interview.
I hope Boyang can find his enjoyment of competition again, so he can jump without fear --which is what he said was a key to his jumps in an earlier interview.

:cheer: Go for it Boyang!

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Boyang comes across as sincere, direct and honest in this interview. Some of it was sad to read - he is feeling so much pressure :(. He said in the recent Olympic channel interview that his ankle injuries from last year haven’t fully healed yet either.
He knows what kind of skater he wants to be and skating is his life. Hoping for all the best for him!

Tutto

Record Breaker
Thank you for posting this interview, I am not a fan but I've been worried about Boyang, he didn't seem himself since Worlds in Milan. That explains a lot of things.
Once again it is confirmation that above all the confidence is everything for a skater. I wish skaters didn't have to deal with any external pressure and could focus on their training instead
Good luck Boyang for the rest of the season!

Like other posters, I found it a very sad read especially the part he said "My mom said I'd become another person since my return from Canada" :( I hope he can figure out what he needs and the best way to address them. After all, all the people at this age go through similar challenges; he can overcome this phase :agree:

I love that he did street dance! It makes sense, he does play to the audience pretty well, and his musicality is something I can relate to that. It's also great that he's getting more involved with the choreography part of the program, making sure the movement can be expressed more personally in that way. He isn't quite done yet, but these are good steps.

pandatours

On the Ice
Like other posters, I found it a very sad read especially the part he said "My mom said I'd become another person since my return from Canada" :( I hope he can figure out what he needs and the best way to address them. After all, all the people at this age go through similar challenges; he can overcome this phase :agree:

I feel like this could be read as a negative or a positive. When Victoria Sinistsina came back to Russia after training with Marina for a year she also said her parents said she has become another person. But Victoria basically felt as if she had discovered herself and became a stronger person.

I hope Boyang figures it out. It’s easy to get lost and feel the pressure of the next four years.