What is the most heartbreaking moment in skating competition | Page 7 | Golden Skate

What is the most heartbreaking moment in skating competition

Ophelia

Record Breaker
I agree that it would have been a different story if Lipnitskaia had won. Although she didn't win quite everything in sight leading up to the Games, she definitely had the momentum and the buzz even before her spectacular performance in the team event. Even the most casual of skating fans knew about the girl in the red coat. If Julia had won the individual gold medal instead of Adelina, Yuna Kim fans would have been disappointed but not horror-struck.

Erm no. They would've been similarly outraged, but readily outraged instead of outraged in a blindsided manner. People on these boards were betting and worrying whether Lipniskaia would be successfully hyped to an OGM as early as Euros. Even before the individual event people were uneasy and the outrage was already building.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I wasn’t because as perfect as they were they were up against a Russian pair who were amazing. I’m happy that the double gold happened. But it surely was ridiculous solution to the judging scandal. I might cry more that it led to the downfall of 6.0 and the crazy constantly changing IJS and how it totally changed how people skate. Everyone is younger and injured from all the technical requirements and in ladies the top skaters last one or two seasons with few exceptions.

I love Jaime and David. Sad their divorce ended their pro career. But either way the gold would have been fair. IMHO. Loved both pairs and it was a greatv4 years as pros together in SOI

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Yuna Kim Olys 2014 - I wouldn't say this was heartbreaking so much as horrifying for me. I remember I took precious vacation days just to watch this live. Going in, I (and many other posters) had an uneasy feeling the way scores were going, but I thought "Surely not. No way can they pull off such a shameless move in broad daylight." The sense of dread as I watched the scoring unfold and realized that why yes, Russia IS shameless enough to pull of a highway robbery made me sick to my stomach and still makes me furious when I think about it. It was and is absolute disgrace to the sport.

Evegnia Medvedeva Olys 2018 - I was rooting for Zagitova to win, but seeing Medvedeva break down in the KnC was gutting. You could really feel a shadow of the devastation she was going through. The weight and enormity of losing what should've been an assured Gold medal, and all those years of practice and skating and victories gone to waste, just crushing down on her. If I were her, that kind of loss would psychologically wreck me.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Here's another heartbreaking moment: watching a 17 year old who had the skate of her life so incredibly excited to win on the biggest stage of all get torn apart by a rabid fanbase who simply could not accept that someone else might win, and watching the same 17 year old receive masses of death threats and abuse that still continues to this day to the point that you still can't even mention Adelina - whether it's about Sochi or not! - without them coming out of the woodwork to trash all over her.

It's pretty heartbreaking that the biggest win of her career, the best skate of her career, is now forever ruined and tainted by those horrible, terrible, disgusting people who think death threats to a minor is an appropriate reaction to a result not going the way they wanted it to.

GGFan

Record Breaker
Here's another heartbreaking moment: watching a 17 year old who had the skate of her life so incredibly excited to win on the biggest stage of all get torn apart by a rabid fanbase who simply could not accept that someone else might win, and watching the same 17 year old receive masses of death threats and abuse that still continues to this day to the point that you still can't even mention Adelina - whether it's about Sochi or not! - without them coming out of the woodwork to trash all over her.

It's pretty heartbreaking that the biggest win of her career, the best skate of her career, is now forever ruined and tainted by those horrible, terrible, disgusting people who think death threats to a minor is an appropriate reaction to a result not going the way they wanted it to.

So not a heartbreaking moment in competition at all but really just a complaint about crazy fans and extremists.;)

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
Yuna Kim Olys 2014 - I wouldn't say this was heartbreaking so much as horrifying for me. I remember I took precious vacation days just to watch this live. Going in, I (and many other posters) had an uneasy feeling the way scores were going, but I thought "Surely not. No way can they pull off such a shameless move in broad daylight." The sense of dread as I watched the scoring unfold and realized that why yes, Russia IS shameless enough to pull of a highway robbery made me sick to my stomach and still makes me furious when I think about it. It was and is absolute disgrace to the sport.

Evegnia Medvedeva Olys 2018 - I was rooting for Zagitova to win, but seeing Medvedeva break down in the KnC was gutting. You could really feel a shadow of the devastation she was going through. The weight and enormity of losing what should've been an assured Gold medal, and all those years of practice and skating and victories gone to waste, just crushing down on her. If I were her, that kind of loss would psychologically wreck me.

I agree with both of these. In Medvedeva’s case, I had no problem with the result, but in the moment, I felt for her.

Sochi is a weird case where at the time I was not exactly blindsided because the Olympics have a tendency to create predictable “upset” narratives — a younger, more technically advanced skater upsetting the favourite for the gold — but the less sense protocols made, the more heartbreaking Yuna’s reaction became. (And I say that as someone who liked Sotnikova.) What actually broke my heart and made me cry in real time was Yuna’s short. I remember I was home for that and my mother and I were watching live, both of us bawling by the end.

nips

Rinkside
Sochi, definitely. Not only turningpoint for Yulia's career, but mostly Yuna's second place. If Adelina didn't win olympic gold she would stay longer competitive.

Actualy wondering, if Yulia would skated clean and would won that event, would Adelina still win over Yuna?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If Adelina didn't win olympic gold she would stay longer competitive.

So in this alternate universe, did Adelina's Achilles tendon not snap as she was preparing for the next season?

vitamintea

On the Ice
I still say The Skirt is responsible.

Style matters.

Sorry, don't want to derail—but what do you mean by The Skirt? After seeing your post I went and watched their FD and the styling looks fine to me—what you would expect from a skate to Piazzolla.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Different strokes for different folks. I was happy when Adelina won, not heartbroken at all.

Well... that might be because you‘re Russian, though? I mean, it would be pretty weird to be heartbroken when an athlete has just won an Olympic Gold Medal for your country, wouldn‘t it? I can‘t tell, Austria has never won any Olympic medal whatsoever in figure skating - at least not since I‘m alive. So I‘ve never been in the position of having a skater of my own country winning against what might be a favourite. :laugh:

From somebody who wasn‘t an uber-fan of Yuna (but certainly admired her a lot) and didn‘t particularly dislike Adelina either... it was still heartbreaking. Both what happened at the Games and afterwards. Hearing the cheering for Adelina while Yuna was in the K&C with a look on the face that made clear that she already knew what was going to happen, to actually seeing it happen and her gracious reaction to it. And then to Adelina who had her moment of glory she worked very hard for only to get it ruined by death threats and hate and people all over the world saying she didn‘t deserve the gold, Yuna had been robbed etc. I thought Yuna‘s Sochi programs to be vastly superior (and thought the judging was more than ridiculous) but Adelina is still... only a girl who worked her butt off. It wasn‘t her fault how she was being judged. So, in the end I feel like it indeed was a heartbreaking competition. No matter who you rooted for. (and especially if you rooted for someone like Yulia and Mao who didn‘t even make the podium at all)

vunhung3001

Rinkside
I don't find a so-called more matured and more decorated skater failing to win Olympic Gold heart-breaking at all. I remember Michelle Kwan gave comment on Sochi Men Free event saying Patrick spent so many years "blood, sweat and tears" just for an Olympic moment but lost to Hanyu with 2 falls. Hanyu started skating at four, he also worked for 15 years "blood, sweat and tears" for his Olympic moment.
Similarly, Zagitova won PeyongChang fair and square. If Medvedeva had had won that day, would people had felt sorry for Zagitova because she performed better but didn't win ? Or just because she was a senior just coming out of junior circut then she didn't deserve as much as other skaters who has spent more years in senior? At the end of the day, you don't deserve gold. You earn it.
Michelle Kwan 1998 and Yuna Kim 2014 are different story. I believe both of them should have won Gold.

GGFan

Record Breaker
I'm sorry this turned into another Sochi thread. :palmf: I really appreciated the sharing that was happening before we got here. :slink:

Fluture

Record Breaker
I don't find a so-called more matured and more decorated skater failing to win Olympic Gold heart-breaking at all. I remember Michelle Kwan gave comment on Sochi Men Free event saying Patrick spent so many years "blood, sweat and tears" just for an Olympic moment but lost to Hanyu with 2 falls. Hanyu started skating at four, he also worked for 15 years "blood, sweat and tears" for his Olympic moment.
Similarly, Zagitova won PeyongChang fair and square. If Medvedeva had had won that day, would people had felt sorry for Zagitova because she performed better but didn't win ? Or just because she was a senior just coming out of junior circut then she didn't deserve as much as other skaters who has spent more years in senior? At the end of the day, you don't deserve gold. You earn it.
Michelle Kwan 1998 and Yuna Kim 2014 are different story. I believe both of them should have won Gold.

Every athlete works ”blood sweat and tears“. That‘s not the point, though. In the end, yes, it comes down to who performs best this day. And this person should win. That‘s it.

However, in Medvedeva‘s case or Patrick‘s case I found it to be particularly heartbreaking because yes, they were THE dominating force in the years leading up to the Olympics. People had basically been telling them they were the OGM years prior. No matter how focused and reasonable you are, it does get to your head and you start imagining. I don‘t know why it‘s hard to understand that it‘s heartbreaking to see a skater who was a heavy favourite and still skated their absolute best (like in Zhenya‘s case, I don‘t remember Patrick too much but I think he made mistakes) fall short, especially if the difference is so small. Even many people who aren‘t Medvedeva fans and rooted for Alina to win felt sad for her, seeing her cry in the K&C. Whether or not we find a situation heartbreaking or not has nothing to do with who we thought was better that day. Alina was technically stronger in a system that values technicall prowess the most. That‘s why her victory was well-deserved. I still cried for Zhenya and I was sad for Patrick even though I like Yuzu a lot more and was happy he won. Because in the end, most of us see the PEOPLE, the HUMANS behind these athletes. Who ALL worked incredibly hard and who ALL deserve nothing but respect. So, if someone comes so close to winning, so close to fulfilling their life-long dream, it will always be a heartbreaking situation for me. Maybe I‘m too soft for watching elite level sports, maybe I should start to see these people just as what they put out on the ice, only calculate the numbers and treat them as such. Not root for anyone. Well, I can‘t. And I‘ll probably suffer more heartbreaks this way but also more joy when a skater I particularly love does well.

Fluture

Record Breaker
I'm sorry this turned into another Sochi thread. :palmf: I really appreciated the sharing that was happening before we got here. :slink:

I‘ll offer something else then: Alina falling three times at Worlds this year and rushing to Eteri after her skate, crying, was really heartbreaking as well. It was one of the rare moments where you could actually see in competition that she is just a young girl, only 15 at that time. That she has feelings, is human and makes mistakes and isn‘t just the robotic little jumping bean people made her out to be.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Kevin Reynolds' stony face as he saw his marks for both NHK programs this year, more eloquent than many other skaters' tears...

rachno2

Record Breaker

Between GPF and Nationals, I'm sure there will be enough fresh heartbreak in the next couple of weeks to cleanse this thread. It's that time of the season!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Sorry, don't want to derail—but what do you mean by The Skirt? After seeing your post I went and watched their FD and the styling looks fine to me—what you would expect from a skate to Piazzolla.

Anna Capellini wore a skirted dress for their 42nd Street SD that moved so perfectly in mathematically precise parabolic waves that I'm sure it hypnotized the judging panel. I was hypnotized -- and I was only watching it on a computer screen! The lead they gathered there was too much for any team to overcome, though WePo certainly came close.

I'm telling you, The Skirt Is Responsible.

;)