JGP free live streams boost figure skating views worldwide | Golden Skate

JGP free live streams boost figure skating views worldwide

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Making it easier for people to watch skating on a convenient platform increases viewership...:think:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Making it easier for people to watch skating on a convenient platform increases viewership...:think:

:agree:

And using a commentstor who treats all competitors with respect, who doesn’t consider it part of a “sport” to use sarcasm or make fun of competitors, and who does not talk over the skates, increases viewership

:think:

mrrice

Record Breaker

And using a commentstor who treats all competitors with respect, who doesn’t consider it part of a “sport” to use sarcasm or make fun of competitors, and who does not talk over the skates, increases viewership

I agree completely. You can always find something positive to say about a skater. Why not mention the sacrifices that these skaters make just to get to the event. These jumps don't come in a can. You have to work hard to make them happen. Outside a gala, I don't think most of the young skaters have ever stayed up until 3am "Partying" Their lives are about discipline and focus.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

And the livestreams stay up. Sometimes in the spring and summer i watch them.

slowparade

Rinkside
Digital platforms are the present and future after all. As a newbie FS fan, these livestreams are so, so, so helpful. I got super confused when everyone kept talking about the Russian junior ladies, so I searched them up and found the ISU JGP Final in Nagoya last year. And it's the full competition too! Just in time to familiarize myself with the skaters for GPF and JGPF in Vancouver this week. :hap10:

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I didn't realise Ted Barton was a New Zealander by birth. No wonder he's so nice! (New Zealanders are like the Canadians of the English-speaking Southern Hemisphere).

I know the article does seem a bit like stating the obvious (making good quality videos available for free increases audiences and interest, who'da thunk it?), but it's good to have some facts and figures supporting the statement rather than just relying on anecdata and assumptions.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
You have to admire journalists though, for being able to spit out a king size sheet of writing out of 5 sentences of relevant information.
And always with a cheesy personal story, of course.

Otherwise I think that the juniors pushing for difficult tech content also contributes to the JGPs being popular.

DenissVFan

Medalist

I don't know if there'd be a demand for that but if they ever decide to hire a Russian commentator, they should choose Radionova, who is positive in her commentary.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I for one am happy that Hersh wrote at length about the importance of free JGP streaming to the sport's reach and future. Wall-to-wall live streaming (plus archiving) combined with Ted Barton's respectful and constructive commentary.
(For me, the article offered much more than "5 sentences of relevant information.")

Slightly ironic that the article was published by NBC -- which requires a paid subscription for access to streaming (and on-demand video) of GPs and other senior competitions.
But only slightly. The (growing) fanbase that appreciates free JGP streaming has a (growing as well?) subset of individuals who potentially would be interested in purchasing the NBC pass.

Fluture

Record Breaker
I love the JGP coverage. Ted is such a wonderful commentator, he does truly everything a good commentator should do. He is well-informed, knows what he‘s talking about (other than some skater‘s music. Anastasia Tarakanova is NOT skating to Believer, Ted! :laugh: ) and he‘s very supportive of everyone. And most of all: HE DOESN‘T TALK DURING THE PERFORMANCE. That‘s like... the most important rule of all and so many commentators have trouble accepting that. I mean, it‘s common knowledge - let the audience watch the performance peacefully. There are replays afterwards anyway, talk then about the technical things. That‘s why I love the JGP coverage. It‘s easily accessible, has great quality and a great commentator, too. That‘s the future and that‘s apparently (actually a bit obvious but still great to hear it being confirmed) also the way you gain an audience and make figure skating a more popular sport again. I wish we had something like that for the senior GP events as well. But I understand if that isn‘t possible. But you could do Junior Worlds, Ted, if you need more work. :biggrin:

Miller

Final Flight
Let's hope the ISU does it for Challenger events and 'Other B's', even GPs where they've not sold the TV rights - it can't be that difficult to geo-block accordingly, and then as the rights drop off un-geo-block, and you've got a resource for future generations.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Let's hope the ISU does it for Challenger events and 'Other B's', even GPs where they've not sold the TV rights - it can't be that difficult to geo-block accordingly, and then as the rights drop off un-geo-block, and you've got a resource for future generations.

I think they need to renegotiate how they sell the rights to TV stations - eg reserve the right to stream (un-geoblocked) and permanently archive on YouTube an uncommentated version of (at minimum) all GP and Championship performances, and then let the broadcasters buy the rights to their value-added (in the form of the commentary) version only, which they can protect however they please. I doubt they have the funds to do professional-quality filming at Senior Bs and Challengers, there are so many, but it would be lovely if they could...

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Nice article, and absolutely true. I always enjoy the JGP competitions, and it really is very nice that one can just watch the performance without commentary and get that during the replays. And the commentary in itself is always so constructive.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Meagan Duhamel will be commentating with Ted during the Final on YouTube.

Looking forward to hearing them!

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think they need to renegotiate how they sell the rights to TV stations - eg reserve the right to stream (un-geoblocked) and permanently archive on YouTube an uncommentated version of (at minimum) all GP and Championship performances, and then let the broadcasters buy the rights to their value-added (in the form of the commentary) version only, which they can protect however they please. I doubt they have the funds to do professional-quality filming at Senior Bs and Challengers, there are so many, but it would be lovely if they could...

Amen!

Giltedge

Final Flight
Meagan Duhamel will be commentating with Ted during the Final on YouTube.

Looking forward to hearing them!

:eek:hwell: bah, there probably goes the respectful silence at the heart of Ted's acclaimed approach. Let us see.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Meagan, if you are silent during the performance we will accept and cherish you. Otherwise... not. I‘m sorry but at the moment I can‘t imagine anyone else commentating with Ted. :( We‘ll see.