JGP free live streams boost figure skating views worldwide | Page 2 | Golden Skate

JGP free live streams boost figure skating views worldwide

JustRozy

On the Ice
Country
United-States
:eek:hwell: bah, there probably goes the respectful silence at the heart of Ted's acclaimed approach. Let us see.

I fear it as well. What is the matter with commentators who just cannot SHUT UP? Despite whatever they may think, nothing--NOTHING--they have to say is one fraction of a second as valuable as the skate taking place right at that moment. I remember Johnny Weir at the last Olympics, after an uncharacteristic few moments of blessed silence, commenting 'Ha ha, we (Tara & Terry [shudder]) haven't been talking just now--we must like (this person's) skating! Hahahahaha'. Appalling. They are all so busily self-promoting & in love with their own opinions. ~Prove me wrong, Meagan!

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Meagan, if you are silent during the performance we will accept and cherish you. Otherwise... not. I‘m sorry but at the moment I can‘t imagine anyone else commentating with Ted. :( We‘ll see.

Cathy Reed commentated with Ted last year at the JGPF and she was respectful. Didn't talk until after the performance.

TryMeLater

On the Ice
Making it easier for people to watch skating on a convenient platform increases viewership...:think:

And having juniors doing quads.
I wonder how much of the views come from Russia and Japan where (at least in Russia) figure skating is talked about on the main news.

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
Just here to pronounce my undying love for Ted Barton once more, and for YouTube access to the JGP! :luv17: :luv17: :luv17:

I like Meagan and can picture her being a respectful and energetic commentator. It's got to be tough for Ted to find something insightful to say about SO many skaters, so perhaps another perspective will keep things lively and fun for him. :)

JustRozy

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Just here to pronounce my undying love for Ted Barton once more, and for YouTube access to the JGP! :luv17: :luv17: :luv17:

I like Meagan and can picture her being a respectful and energetic commentator. It's got to be tough for Ted to find something insightful to say about SO many skaters, so perhaps another perspective will keep things lively and fun for him. :)

Well, you called it! I completely agree with you about Ted Barton, and appreciated so much the way he and Meagan Duhamel worked together! They were never intrusive; their comments were honest, very perceptive, supportive of the skaters, and greatly instructive for me as a viewer. It was clear right away how good they were, I was so relieved and thankful.

DenissVFan

Medalist
I've heard about this website Social Blade, which is used to measure the popularity of YouTube channels and I checked the statistics of the ISU JGP channel: https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/isujgp2011

Some detailed statistics are pretty interesting. In December the channel had been steadily gaining followers, then lost 80 of them in one day (after the Eteri interview), gained some more, lost 9 in one day, and has been on the upswing since then.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I've heard about this website Social Blade, which is used to measure the popularity of YouTube channels and I checked the statistics of the ISU JGP channel: https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/isujgp2011

Some detailed statistics are pretty interesting. In December the channel had been steadily gaining followers, then lost 80 of them in one day (after the Eteri interview), gained some more, lost 9 in one day, and has been on the upswing since then.

FWIW, your link is not showing me a loss of 80 subscribers. The oldest date I can see is Dec 17 -- which is the day before the Eteri interview was published on Dec 18.

(Before the interview had been published, Ted tweeted a mention on Dec 13, and the ISU tweeted a mention on Dec 17.)

I see gains of 30 subscribers on Dec 17 + 46 on Dec 18 + 69 on Dec 20 + 37 on Dec 21.

Then a loss of 9 subscribers on Dec 22.

Then gains again of 41 on Dec 23 + 27 on Dec 24.
Continuing gains on Christmas Day and thereafter ...

Until a loss of 9 on Dec 31 (today).

Even if(?) there had been a loss of 80 subscribers, that barely would be 0.1%.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Click on "see full monthly statistics" to .... see the full month, including the loss of 80 subscribers in one day.

Thank you, NanaPat. :thank:
Sorry that I overlooked that button. :hopelessness:

So the -80 in one day was on Dec 14, which was several days before the Eteri interview was published.

In advance, Ted had tweeted once on Dec 13 about the interview, and he added a reply tweet on Dec 14. I suppose some (perhaps many??) of the -80 were reacting to his tweets, but only a tiny percentage of total subscribers left.

DenissVFan

Medalist
Thank you, NanaPat. :thank:
Sorry that I overlooked that button. :hopelessness:

So the -80 in one day was on Dec 14, which was several days before the Eteri interview was published.

In advance, Ted had tweeted once on Dec 13 about the interview, and he added a reply tweet on Dec 14. I suppose some (perhaps many??) of the -80 were reacting to his tweets, but only a tiny percentage of total subscribers left.

Indeed, - 80 was after Ted's tweets about the interview.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Indeed, - 80 was after Ted's tweets about the interview.

And for me, unsubscribing without having seen the actual interview seems like :laugh15: overreacting.
(But people of course are entitled to do whatever they want -- in response to tweets or anything else.)

In any case, I also would reiterate that in the first several days after the interview was published, the gains in subscriptions easily surpassed the loss of 80.
Anticipation of the Eteri interview caused nothing more than a negligible :yawn: blip in subscriptions.

And now I will stop beating a dead horse. :laugh:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
:agree:

And using a commentstor who treats all competitors with respect, who doesn’t consider it part of a “sport” to use sarcasm or make fun of competitors, and who does not talk over the skates, increases viewership

:think:

He is fantastic!