2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 212 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

princessalica

Final Flight
Vincent's tone is very...odd and off-putting. Nevertheless, it's nice to see more content from Gracie - although, she has nothing to prove.

I wonder if that tone isn't due to him not being a native speaker. There are phrasing issues that could be attributed to a language barrier.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Vincent's tone is very...odd and off-putting. Nevertheless, it's nice to see more content from Gracie - although, she has nothing to prove.

Yeah, it's almost as if he's trying to prep everyone either for a rough performance or possibly a withdrawal. I find it odd that he's the one posting. I think Gracie should be the one posting her progress rather than her coach. Well, he tagged her in the post so I suppose she's okay with it.

The jumps don't look anywhere near the Gracie level we're used to seeing but at least she's actually jumping. Prior to these two recent videos there was no evidence that she was capable of landing any triples. I'm sure the progress is slow but at least she's progressing. It's going to be a slow and steady climb back and I'm just happy she's continuing on.

I'm still iffy about her going to nationals. It's 100% her decision and I'll support her either way, but I do think she'd be better off taking Karen's route of taking the rest of this season to continue to focus on healing and getting back to where she needs to be to be competitive. Then again, I do think the outpouring of love she'd get at nationals no matter how she performs would be good for her. There are a lot of people waiting for her to fail but there are 10x more cheering her on. Seeing words of encouragement probably feels nice...hearing that roar of a crowd, feeling their love and energy...that probably feels a zillion times better.:luv17:

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
It sounds like there has been progress, which to me is he important part. I think the tone might be a language thing. As long as Gracie is happy that's what matters.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don’t find Vincent’s ETA: Restencourt tone that bad?:scratch3: He has been working in the USA for at least five years now, with American students, and I have heard an interview with him; he is conversant in English.

I love that he is upfront, positive, and taking on those who criticize Gracie:agree:

Of course, Jason fans were accustomed to Coach Vincent postings back in the day :biggrin:

Last edited:

creaturelover

On the Ice
Yeah, it's almost as if he's trying to prep everyone either for a rough performance or possibly a withdrawal. I find it odd that he's the one posting. I think Gracie should be the one posting her progress rather than her coach. Well, he tagged her in the post so I suppose she's okay with it.

I take it as a "we have a long way to go, but look at the progress we have already made!" more than a suggestion to a possible withdrawal.

princessalica

Final Flight
Disappointed not to see her skate, but she is making progress and I'm sure that this is the best decision. I'm still a fan, and still ready to see her shine again!!!!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Disappointed not to see her skate, but she is making progress and I'm sure that this is the best decision. I'm still a fan, and still ready to see her shine again!!!!

Agreed - I’m disappointed too, but I think she’s smart to withdraw. It’s one thing to do a couple of decent triples in practice. It’s another to do a 4 minute FS with lots of triples. She looks much better than she did at Rostelecom, but that’s a low bar. Wishing her the best and hoping we continue to get updates from her!

tothepointe

On the Ice

The jumps don't look anywhere near the Gracie level we're used to seeing but at least she's actually jumping. Prior to these two recent videos there was no evidence that she was capable of landing any triples. I'm sure the progress is slow but at least she's progressing. It's going to be a slow and steady climb back and I'm just happy she's continuing on.

I would imagine part of her recovery would include a near social media blackout. Instagram can be one of the more toxic social media apps if your recovering from an eating disorder / body image distortion. Better her coach be the handler of any negative comments. It's a good move. It takes the brain 21 hours to get over a negative comment.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would imagine part of her recovery would include a near social media blackout. Instagram can be one of the more toxic social media apps if your recovering from an eating disorder / body image distortion. Better her coach be the handler of any negative comments. It's a good move. It takes the brain 21 hours to get over a negative comment.

She has had an almost total social media blackout since Rostelecom and before Rostelecom as well. At least on Twitter. I don't follow IG much.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah, it's almost as if he's trying to prep everyone either for a rough performance or possibly a withdrawal. ....

You called it, kwanatic! I actually thought Vincent was trying to let her fans down gently a few days ago when he was already talking about next season, or maybe he said next year.

Seeing words of encouragement probably feels nice...hearing that roar of a crowd, feeling their love and energy...that probably feels a zillion times better.:luv17:

That's the one thing that I think we could be sure of ... Gracie would've been welcomed, lovingly applauded and supported by US nationals audiences. But they had to weigh that against Gracie's own mental health. If she had gone, and performed quite a bit less than what she expected of herself, it might have been several steps back. This way, she can build on her confidence and know in her heart that she's going forward.

It must have been a very difficult decision. Good for Gracie for choosing what's right for her.

It takes the brain 21 hours to get over a negative comment.

Ooh, that is very good. I'm going to remember that. I guess I'm out of the loop; I'd never heard it said just that way.

I've also heard that it takes ten statements of positive reinforcement to overcome the effect of one negative remark. But somehow the "21 hours" statement makes it more visceral.

frida80

Record Breaker
How does one get into the ISP list?

A few different ways. Place well at US Nationals. Normally the top 12 will be in the ISP. Score well in a qualifying round. I think the unsaid minimum is around 160. Finally, do very well at a major club competition: Glacier Falls, Broadmoor, Skate Detroit, and Philly Champs. For novices and juniors, placing well at US Novice and Junior Challenge. Any of these will get you a spot on Philly International or a spot at US International Classic. To get a International Challenger, you need to score higher than 170. To get the TBA spot at SA, you should be the highest scoring senior and do well at one of the four club competitions I named.

This I will be tricky for Gracie but doable. If she can kick off the season well like Bradie did with a score of 188, follow that up with a few more wins with the same score and score well at a on the major club competitions, she'll be placed at Philly International. If she does well there, she'll be given SA.

tothepointe

On the Ice
You called it, kwanatic! I actually thought Vincent was trying to let her fans down gently a few days ago when he was already talking about next season, or maybe he said next year.

That's the one thing that I think we could be sure of ... Gracie would've been welcomed, lovingly applauded and supported by US nationals audiences. But they had to weigh that against Gracie's own mental health. If she had gone, and performed quite a bit less than what she expected of herself, it might have been several steps back. This way, she can build on her confidence and know in her heart that she's going forward.

It must have been a very difficult decision. Good for Gracie for choosing what's right for her.

Ooh, that is very good. I'm going to remember that. I guess I'm out of the loop; I'd never heard it said just that way.

I've also heard that it takes ten statements of positive reinforcement to overcome the effect of one negative remark. But somehow the "21 hours" statement makes it more visceral.

It was from an article I read that stated that most posters of negative comments or reviews expect a response within 2 hours but it takes 21 hours to recover. I'll try to find the original article. I'm sure it's not 100% scientific but it stuck in my mind and from my experience seems about right. I have a hard time dealing with customer complaints effectively because a negative review hits me personally.

tothepointe

On the Ice
She has had an almost total social media blackout since Rostelecom and before Rostelecom as well. At least on Twitter. I don't follow IG much.

I feel like she has been "gone" from social media for quite sometime with the occasionally flurry of tweets being the rare exception.

It must be hard for skaters to transition from having social media that used to be truly social in the way us mere mortals use it for personal use to having it become a hybrid of business and fanpage.

macy

Record Breaker
i don't understand all the negativity towards Vincent's posts, especially his last one on Gracie. i've seen so much of this on instagram and I don't see anything from him other than support towards her...i don't understand where people are pulling all these assumptions and judgments from