Robin Szolkowy moves to US to coach in Irvine/Los Angeles | Golden Skate

Robin Szolkowy moves to US to coach in Irvine/Los Angeles

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
I've just come across this news on the FSU. Below a link to the article (in German) and some of the highlights. Maybe some German speakers could add more details?

https://www.freiepresse.de/sport/robin-szolkowy-zieht-es-in-die-usa-artikel10415069

- He started the talks with the USFSA during the PyeongChang Olympic Games
- He will move to Irvine/Los Angeles to a new international ice center and he is excited about starting to work from zero
- He will work with Jenni Meno and Todd Sand
- Initially, the project will last until 2022, but with options to stay there longer

Does his wife also coach and will be part of the coaching team or is it my overinterpretation? Does the fact that Meno and Sand coach the Knierims also mean that by extension Robin will form part of their coaching team?

MissBeeFarm

On the Ice
German here, just a few more details:

He says he wants to coach Americans as well as international skaters, combining the expertise from different cultures. He wants to keep up the connections to Germany and Switzerland, offer camps in Europe and on the other hand invite European athletes to the US.
There's nothing about his wife coaching in the article, however she seems to be involved in coaching/marketing/management (here's their homepage: http://justmovegmbh.de/en/). So I wouldn't be surprised if she'll be involved in some way

andromache

Record Breaker
This has the potential to be very good for US pairs.

(Since Alexa and Chris are with Meno-Sand, I assume this means they have a decent chance of working with Robin as well? In which case, :laugh2: that they end up with him after leaving Aljona earlier this season.)

Tatjana

On the Ice
English article on IFS Magazine: https://www.ifsmagazine.com/robin-szolkowy-joins-california-coaching-team/
The article will be updated once Todd Sand gives a comment.

Robin's wife Romy is not a skating coach, but she is involved in marketing and organization.
Robin will form a coaching team with Jenni Meno and Todd Sand and they'll work together with the pairs, so I'm pretty sure he'll work as well with Alexa and Chris Knierim, which is, as andromache said, kind of funny.

mrrice

Record Breaker

(Since Alexa and Chris are with Meno-Sand, I assume this means they have a decent chance of working with Robin as well? In which case, :laugh2: that they end up with him after leaving Aljona earlier this season.)

I agree and it would be great to see our pairs back in the thick of things. Haven and Brendan have so much promise and I think with the right coaching, they could still make a breakthrough at Worlds.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

I thought the same thing after reading the news. And then as mrrice here likes to say "KABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!":dev3:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I agree and it would be great to see our pairs back in the thick of thing. Haven and Brendan have so much promise and I think with the right coaching, they could still make a breakthrough at Worlds.

OMG I really was channeling you, we posted at the same time! :rofl:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is great news! That would be really ironic if Alexa and Chris end up working with him. Really looking forward to seeing where this goes! :clap:

MsLayback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Just my opinion here...what a get for US Pairs! The credentials say it all Robin is focused on coaching and has been since he retired from competition...which was not the same with Aliona since a lot of her earning potential was still invested in shows and consulting not the day to day confines of full time coaching (again my opinion) Also the permanency of Robin in Irvine shows his commitment. Soon as I read this I thought hmmm did Alexa and Chris know something we didn't when they made the move to Todd and Jenni and California...again my opinion

QuadThrow

Medalist
These are super exciting news.

Back in October after the split with Aljona the Knierims mentioned that ' what is coming up will carry us till 2022.'

At the end of the day Robin's future presence in the US may had some influence on the Alexa and Chris decision to break up with Aljona. It seems that Robin and Aljona will never be reunited. The time they spent together was too intense took much energy.

Robin has still not proved his skills as a coach. Candyman ruined so much. Time to change things.

QuadThrow

Medalist
As for Robin and Tarasova/Morozov's "Candyman" - he had no influence on the decision to skate this program. He would be too diplomatic to ever say it, but I am sure he knows that it was crap.

I believe it should had been his job to prevent them from skating to candyman. Otherwise I do not see the additional benefit Mozer wanted from him after 2014. The program was just too bad to stay diplomacy.

Tatjana

On the Ice
I believe it should had been his job to prevent them from skating to candyman. Otherwise I do not see the additional benefit Mozer wanted from him after 2014. The program was just too bad to stay diplomacy.

I mean he is too diplomatic to say it in public.
Robin was happy when he got the opportunity to have Evgenia and Vladimir working with Alexander Gazsi on their program ("Music"), because he wanted them to try new and different things. It is my understanding that the Mozer team wasn't looking so much for Robin's input on programs (music and choreo), but on technique, competition preparation etc.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

I'm sure a lot of coaches would like to be able to stop their more headstrong charges from... interesting aka jawdropping program/music/costume/etc choices (ask Mr Orser for his take on that :laugh:) In the end, if we're talking about adults, it's got to be mostly on the skaters themselves.

frida80

Record Breaker
Good to know USFS has some plans for pairs. The team competition is going to be fierce in 2022. The only way The US can aim for gold is improving on pairs and women. I'm eager to see what he can do.

irriya

On the Ice
I've heard that Raf is moving from Lakewood to Irvine too. Is it possible they would be in the same rink?

rnois13

On the Ice
I've heard that Raf is moving from Lakewood to Irvine too. Is it possible they would be in the same rink?
Yes, a lot of coaches are moving in there not just Raf. I think The Rinks want it to become a USOC training center. It has a a olympic size rink and a rink for curling as well.

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland

The article says that Raf also will coach there: In addition to the pairs coaches, Rafael Arutyunyan, his team and their skaters have also made the move to this venue.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sounds like this rink has the potential to be a mecca for figure skating in the next decade worldwide much like Canton was or Montreal is right now.