2018-19 South Korean figure skating | Page 28 | Golden Skate

2018-19 South Korean figure skating

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Hello, is there anyone who know how many this "kinda national" competitions are ?? Cause i remember there are few but i m not exactly sure where, when and what the name of each competition

To sum up:

1. Ranking Competition - Was held on Dec. 21-23, decided 4CC, Universiad, Youth Winter Games entries
2. Korean Nationals - Is going to be held on Jan. 11-13, decides Worlds (and collectively with the ranking competition, the National team) entries.
3. National Figure Skating Competition - planned to be held on Mar. 29-31, decides ISU Challengers entries (i.e. if a skater didn't do well enough at Nats they compete here for funding).

seabm7

Final Flight
To sum up:

3. National Figure Skating Competition - planned to be held on Mar. 29-31, decides ISU Challengers entries (i.e. if a skater didn't do well enough at Nats they compete here for funding).

Yes, the skaters who have done well at the Korean Nationals usually skip this competition.

ETD: There are already many higher ranking skaters who participate in the ISU Challenger competitions, so I don't think participating in this particular competition would help to get funding or a ticket from KSU.

ETD2: I asked around among Korean fans. Nowadays, the result of this competition is used to select the entries for Asian trophy Novice.

seabm7

Final Flight
To sum up:

1. Ranking Competition - Was held on Dec. 21-23, decided 4CC, Universiad, Youth Winter Games entries
2. Korean Nationals - Is going to be held on Jan. 11-13, decides Worlds (and collectively with the ranking competition, the National team) entries.

This is the list of competitions organized by KSU. Other competitions organized by KSU are

* Junior Grand Prix selection, usually on August.
* Under-13-year-old competitions.

(note: National Winter Festival is organized by KOC, the Korean Olympic Committee.)

Hailey Shin

Medalist
19 Nationals has ended.

4CC (it depends on Ranking Competition's results)
Ladies
Eunsoo Lim
Yelim Kim
Hanul Kim
Sub1. Soyoun Park
Sub2. Yujin Choi
Men
Junhwan Cha
Junehyoung Lee
Sihyeong Lee
Sub1. Geonhyeong An
Sub2. Jaeseok Kyeong

JWC
Ladies
Young You
Haein Lee
Sub1. Yelim Kim
Sub2. Seoyoung Wi
Men
Sihyeong Lee
Younghyun Cha
Sub1. Jaeseok Kyeong
Sub2. Geonhyeong An

Winter Universiade (also depends on Ranking Competition's results)
Ladies
Soyoun Park
Sub1. Nahyun Kim
Men
Junehyoung Lee
Sejong Byun

Winter Youth Competition (held in Russia) (also depends on Ranking Competition's results)
Ladies
Young You
Haein Lee
Sub1. Seoyoung Wi
Sub2. Jihun To
Men
Younghyun Cha
Donghyuk Lee

WC
Ladies
Eunsoo Lim
Sub1. Soyoun Park
Sub2. Yelim Kim
Men
Junhwan Cha
Sub1. Junehyoung Lee

- - - Updated - - -

19-20 Season National Teams
Team A

Ladies
Eunsoo Lim, Young You, Haein Lee, Yelim Kim, Seoyoung Wi, Soyoun Park, Seoyeon Ji, Hanul Kim
Men
Junhwan Cha, Junehyoung Lee, Younghyun Cha, Sihyeong Lee

Team B
Ladies
Jihun To, Yujin Choi, Subeen Jeon, Yeonjeong Park, Siwon Lee,
Boyoung Kim, Hyunsoo Choi, Minseung Kim, Minchae Kim
Men
Geonhyoung An, Jaeseok Kyeong, Sunghoon Park

skatespin

On the Ice
OMG poor Yelim Kim once again doesn't get to go to junior worlds, unbelievable! She medaled at both her grand prix events and made it into the junior grand prix final. I guess that counted for nothing as far as body of work goes. No wonder she appeared so nervous.

Really happy to see Soyoun back in form. The audience was so supportive of her, it was really nice to see. Annoying how this competition doesn't have any bearing on four continents assignments. Clearly the Korean Skating Federation operates in strange ways.

You Young skated like she wanted to win and she did not show any sign of nerves. I think her jumps have improved, they seemed more powerful and the rotations looked good. I love her pirates program, it fits her style well. Hopefully she can repeat this performance at Junior Worlds and get 4th place (or higher if the unthinkable happens and one of 3A messes up enough).

Eunsoo made a few mistakes on her combo. Not sure why because her technique is solid. It appears that she keeps running out of room near the boards and then gets nervous about running out of room. She needs to get that under control as I remember her struggling with the same problem 2 years ago in juniors. I would like to see her as Korean National Champion, because she definitely has the quality to be national champion, but it really doesn't make much difference this year. As much as I appreciate You Young's heart and love for skating, Eunsoo seems like the heir to Yuna Kim. But she needs a long program that fits her better and she needs to make a few less mistakes. Hopefully we can see cleaner skates at four continents and worlds where it will matter more for her. I'm really hoping she can secure 2 spots at worlds for next season because Korea is going to have a number of good eligible seniors.

SkateSkates

Medalist
19 Nationals has ended.

4CC (it depends on Ranking Competition's results)
Ladies
Eunsoo Lim
Yelim Kim
Hanul Kim
Sub1. Soyoun Park
Sub2. Yujin Choi
Men
Junhwan Cha
Junehyoung Lee
Sihyeong Lee
Sub1. Geonhyeong An
Sub2. Jaeseok Kyeong

JWC
Ladies
Young You
Haein Lee
Sub1. Yelim Kim
Sub2. Seoyoung Wi
Men
Sihyeong Lee
Younghyun Cha
Sub1. Jaeseok Kyeong
Sub2. Geonhyeong An

Winter Universiade (also depends on Ranking Competition's results)
Ladies
Soyoun Park
Sub1. Nahyun Kim
Men
Junehyoung Lee
Sejong Byun

Winter Youth Competition (held in Russia) (also depends on Ranking Competition's results)
Ladies
Young You
Haein Lee
Sub1. Seoyoung Wi
Sub2. Jihun To
Men
Younghyun Cha
Donghyuk Lee

WC
Ladies
Eunsoo Lim
Sub1. Soyoun Park
Sub2. Yelim Kim
Men
Junhwan Cha
Sub1. Junehyoung Lee

- - - Updated - - -

19-20 Season National Teams
Team A

Ladies
Eunsoo Lim, Young You, Haein Lee, Yelim Kim, Seoyoung Wi, Soyoun Park, Seoyeon Ji, Hanul Kim
Men
Junhwan Cha, Junehyoung Lee, Younghyun Cha, Sihyeong Lee

Team B
Ladies
Jihun To, Yujin Choi, Subeen Jeon, Yeonjeong Park, Siwon Lee,
Gyohee Jeon, Boyoung Kim, Hyunsoo Choi, Minseung Kim
Men
Geonhyoung An, Jaeseok Kyeong, Sunghoon Park

When is the Winter Youth competition taking place? I haven’t heard of this event before.

seabm7

Final Flight
So many skaters are struggling with boots problems this season:

Dabin CHOI: Lost the entire season while looking for a new pair/line of boots.

Junhwan CHA: Still has to break a new pair of boots for 4CC/Words.

June Hyoung LEE: a boots trouble.

Younghyun CHA: Lost the left boot at the beginning of free skating at the Nationals.

Yelim KIM: rumored as having a boots trouble during the Nationals, too.

:(

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Eunsoo made a few mistakes on her combo. Not sure why because her technique is solid. It appears that she keeps running out of room near the boards and then gets nervous about running out of room. She needs to get that under control as I remember her struggling with the same problem 2 years ago in juniors. I would like to see her as Korean National Champion, because she definitely has the quality to be national champion, but it really doesn't make much difference this year. As much as I appreciate You Young's heart and love for skating, Eunsoo seems like the heir to Yuna Kim. But she needs a long program that fits her better and she needs to make a few less mistakes. Hopefully we can see cleaner skates at four continents and worlds where it will matter more for her. I'm really hoping she can secure 2 spots at worlds for next season because Korea is going to have a number of good eligible seniors.

Could we not do the 'heir to Yuna' thing... I mean by god, it's literally the heaviest burden a Korean skater can bear. Squirtle cried at the press conference after the free and this is what she said: "There are going to be many pressuring competitions in the future, but I want to bear it well as Yuna did, and I want to do my best in spite of those pressures and I'll be working hard for that." While I love her for saying that she wants to become even stronger, it's evident that one of the pressures she felt was to be like the Queen in mentality also - Yuna had a mind of Valyrian steel as everyone knows - and she's getting compared to the Queen enough already for just being a GP medalist. That darling puts herself under harsh scrutiny already, can't we the fans at least please let her just be her wonderful, lovely self damnit...

On the subject, hell, all the trio are the Queen's heirs, if I were to use the term. I prefer successor (see title over avatar) because with successor you don't imply taking the throne and its heavy, heavy burdens. There can't be an heir to the Queen, you can't have two once-in-a-century miracles within a decade. However, with Yuna having paved the road all by her miraculous self, talented skaters can emerge and succeed the Queen with the job of continuing and representing Korean figure skating nationally and internationally. And Eunsoo, Yelim, and Young are all doing that already, not to mention Dabin, Haneul, and all the other Korean ladies. I'm not even bringing up the subject of Junhwan because I'm ranting enough already.

Back to the subject of National Champion: I'd love to see squirtle take the title once more after 2017, I was so hoping that she would at Mokdong last weekend, but her nerves are her bane (I won't say I'm a technical expert, far from it, but her running out of room is not a technical problem, just look at her practices or other competitions where she landed her 3Lz-3T cleanly. It's a matter of timing imo, a problem directly related to nerves) and I can tell you, during warmup for both the short and the free she was nervous as hell. I'm just hoping that she'll be under less pressure as she goes back to California, prepare herself well for 4CC and Worlds, and pull off her best where it matters most. And as you said, she deserves a better free than her current one, why not become National Champion with two beautiful programs that suit her perfectly in 2020 ;)

OMG poor Yelim Kim once again doesn't get to go to junior worlds, unbelievable! She medaled at both her grand prix events and made it into the junior grand prix final. I guess that counted for nothing as far as body of work goes. No wonder she appeared so nervous.

While I was very, very sad to see Yelim not get the JW ticket, it might be better for her if you think about it. Just before the ranking competition she was doing her junior routine for JGPF, then at the ranking comp and at Nats she did her senior routine. It must have been confusing to no end, and if she went to both 4CC and JW it would've continued. Better let her stick to her senior routine and train for 4CC and her subsequent move to seniors next season. Besides, Haein also got a bronze at her JGP and is also deserving of a ticket to JW. If she does like she did at Nats at JW and Young does too, then we just might get three spots for junior ladies! With Seoyeon being eligible for juniors next season, if that happens Haein, Seoyoung, and Seoyeon could be the new junior trio :luv17:

skatespin

On the Ice
Hearing that Yelim might have been having boot problems makes what happened even more upsetting. It might be nice for her to get a rest by not doing junior worlds, but she is first alternate anyways so she will probably keep practicing for it. And it would be good for her to have a presence at junior worlds where she could reasonably get 4th or 5th place and get exposure and ranking points for next season when she will be moving up to seniors. Haein did good too, but I think Yelim's body of work beat out Haein's for this season.

frida80

Record Breaker
Hearing that Yelim might have been having boot problems makes what happened even more upsetting. It might be nice for her to get a rest by not doing junior worlds, but she is first alternate anyways so she will probably keep practicing for it. And it would be good for her to have a presence at junior worlds where she could reasonably get 4th or 5th place and get exposure and ranking points for next season when she will be moving up to seniors. Haein did good too, but I think Yelim's body of work beat out Haein's for this season.

She'll get more ranking points at 4CC than at Junior Worlds. At JW, if she wins the max she can get is 500. She'll get the same if she's in sixth place at 4CC. Won't be easy though.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I am glad Young You won the national with two clean and well performed programs. The choreograph was great to start with, and she performed with refinement and precision. I have to say I liked Eunsoo Lim most two years ago among Korean juniors, but now it is clearly Young You.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Does anyone know what’s going on with Alex Kam? Is he looking for a new partner?

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Oh my god I totally forgot the Winter Youth competition, Glad to see both the girls did well in their short! I'll have to go to the bathroom to watch Younghyun, I'll be at work :laugh:

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Last edited: