Kaetlyn Osmond:Last World Champ Without Triple Axel or Quad? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kaetlyn Osmond:Last World Champ Without Triple Axel or Quad?

I wrote the original question, so I think that I know what I intended by "will Kaetlyn Osmond be known as the last women's world champion without either of these tools in her arsenal"

:unsure: So if someone has landed a 3A in practice and wins here without landing one, you'll still call Osmond the last one to win it without a 3A? Seems like a weird way to go about things, but OK.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
:unsure: So if someone has landed a 3A in practice and wins here without landing one, you'll still call Osmond the last one to win it without a 3A? Seems like a weird way to go about things, but OK.

I would say someone that has landed jump in competition with a positive GOE can be said to have the jump in their arsenal.

I would say someone that has landed jump in competition with a positive GOE can be said to have the jump in their arsenal.

Still, you can see where someone might interpret the question differently.

Was Lysacek the last man to win the Olympic gold medal without a quad?

No, because he had successfully landed (I think) three quads in his lifetime prior to the Olympics, so he "had a quad in his arsenal." (Keep your powder dry, Evan. ;) )

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Still, you can see where someone might interpret the question differently.

Was Lysacek the last man to win the Olympic gold medal without a quad?

No, because he had successfully landed (I think) three quads in his lifetime prior to the Olympics, so he "had a quad in his arsenal." (Keep your powder dry, Evan. ;) )

Touché! ;)

Lechat

On the Ice
Country
France
Rika hasn‘t won Worlds yet. So let‘s not crown her before the competition has happened.
:shrug:

If someone like Alina wins (or every other skater other than Liza) this would be a skater without 3A or quar. In fact, this season it‘s only Rika and Liza contending for World champion who have a 3A. Oh, and Tursynbaeva probably. If she lands her 4S and somehow pulls of a win. Next year, it will likely be different. And while I think that Rika has a great chance at winning Worlds this year, there are still other skaters out there and she is not superhuman. Her SP is especially vulnerable. Let‘s wait for Worlds and talk after that. ;)

Last year everybody expected Alina the indefeated JPG, national, european and olympic champion to win the worlds but she could’t handle the pression of being the favorite. + Rusfed made her do multiple shows before the worlds. It was heartbreaking to see her literally break on the ice.

This year I hope to see her healthy and it’s a good thing she’s not the favorite anymore. Rika is like Evgenia, she needs someone to chase to relieve her stress and not having a world medal yet means it’s still a goal to achieve.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Thee technical level in skating is somewhat cyclical. One might have thought, in 1989, that skaters would need a 3A to win a world title going forward, especially with the ending of figures. However, 23 years later Carolina Kostner won Worlds without a lutz or a flip, roughly the same technical level as Katarina Witt in 1986. Kaori and Alina are definitely in the running for gold this year if Rika isn't perfect.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Thee technical level in skating is somewhat cyclical. One might have thought, in 1989, that skaters would need a 3A to win a world title going forward, especially with the ending of figures. However, 23 years later Carolina Kostner won Worlds without a lutz or a flip, roughly the same technical level as Katarina Witt in 1986. Kaori and Alina are definitely in the running for gold this year if Rika isn't perfect.

Caro didn't win Worlds without a flip! :laugh2: That's so mean.
She landed a 3F and a 2F in the free skate.
She also did 2Lo as her solo jump in the short. :laugh: :drama:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

Haha sorry, I remember she pulled the flip and lutz from her arsenal, but maybe that was the previous season.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker

Tis were the most glorious 2F and 2Lo jumps you ever did see! :)

I can't wait to see her piss everyone off at Worlds with a 2 triple program getting 77 in components. :dance3:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tis were the most glorious 2F and 2Lo jumps you ever did see! :)

I can't wait to see her piss everyone off at Worlds with a 2 triple program getting 77 in components. :dance3:

It’s really become something to just relish hasn’t it. I was so hoping Tom Brady would win his 6th Super Bowl 3-0 :p

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It would be hilariously awesome to see LilBet sneak in and win WC this year :devil:

Possible but this is more unlikely than when Osmond won. Lil bet is really probbably considered behind the Japanese ladies and some of the Russians as well as Bradie Tennell. Top 5 would be great. I know she won silver at 4ccs but Satoko wasn't there - a healthy Gabby which is doubtful also probably would beat lil bet.

sx98423

On the Ice
Possible but this is more unlikely than when Osmond won. Lil bet is really probbably considered behind the Japanese ladies and some of the Russians as well as Bradie Tennell. Top 5 would be great. I know she won silver at 4ccs but Satoko wasn't there - a healthy Gabby which is doubtful also probably would beat lil bet.

lilbet with a clean quad would probably beat everyone except for rika. none of the ladies you mentioned have the PCs to make up for a quad

lzxnl

Final Flight
lilbet with a clean quad would probably beat everyone except for rika. none of the ladies you mentioned have the PCs to make up for a quad

But lilbet doesn't have the PCS herself either. Rika beat her in the FS by around 14 points. Landing that quad gives lilbet another 7 or so to a score of 146. That's achievable by a few of the top women right now.

sx98423

On the Ice
But lilbet doesn't have the PCS herself either. Rika beat her in the FS by around 14 points. Landing that quad gives lilbet another 7 or so to a score of 146. That's achievable by a few of the top women right now.

146 would still be higher than the SB of everyone except for rika and alina. and TES increase is almost always followed by PCs if lilbet starts landing quads consistently i'm sure she'll get a PCs boost. but i guess we might have to wait till next season to see that happen since lilbet only has like 2 major competitions left this season

readernick

Medalist
146 would still be higher than the SB of everyone except for rika and alina. and TES increase is almost always followed by PCs if lilbet starts landing quads consistently i'm sure she'll get a PCs boost. but i guess we might have to wait till next season to see that happen since lilbet only has like 2 major competitions left this season

True but she has limits in her SP because she struggles with her lutz and flip. So, she will always be coming from behind. ( unless she fixes these issues) . Her short program has lower base value so even completely clean she only scored 68 at 4cc. This puts her behind by 5/6 points entering the free. ( 10-14 points if Rika lands her 3A) Her PCS marks are justifiably behind the other competitive ladies now. She may get on the podium but she will be relying on the mistakes of others.