2019 Worlds: Ice Dance Pregame Chat | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2019 Worlds: Ice Dance Pregame Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
They've been better at hitting the levels, but dance isn't like singles. All the top teams are planning programs with identical BV, and then it comes down to execution.

That’s what I’d originally thought but perhaps I misunderstood what I read and what they ment was that they had more difficult content? But I cannot imagine that Smart & Diaz wouldn’t go for every lvl4 they can get.

Bcash

Final Flight
They've been better at hitting the levels, but dance isn't like singles. All the top teams are planning programs with identical BV, and then it comes down to execution.

And what's preventing S/D from hitting their levels? A mismatch in skills and experience or nerves? I admit I haven't seen either team enough (though more S/D than H/K). I do prefer S/D's look, and I thought their SD+FD last season were quite attractive programs.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I have to admit a lack of sleep makes me unable to ascertaini who in the heck is SD or HK. I don't think they are one of the top challengers PC, H/D; C/b/ Italians, Weapo, GP, SB or SK. I was listening to the TSL boys and they make it sound like Chock and Bates; Hubbell and Donahoe as well as the Russians are fighitng for silver and bronze behind PC. Canada has ho hum in Weapo, and GP are too weak in the rhythm dance. I keep on saying don't forget the Italians though I prefer weapo or even GP because of their fd.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I have to admit a lack of sleep makes me unable to ascertaini who in the heck is SD or HK. I don't think they are one of the top challengers PC, H/D; C/b/ Italians, Weapo, GP, SB or SK. I was listening to the TSL boys and they make it sound like Chock and Bates; Hubbell and Donahoe as well as the Russians are fighitng for silver and bronze behind PC. Canada has ho hum in Weapo, and GP are too weak in the rhythm dance. I keep on saying don't forget the Italians though I prefer weapo or even GP because of their fd.

The Spanish teams: Smart & Diaz and Hurtado & Khaliavin. Only the latter will be at the world championships and going by their seasons best they’ll be in the mix for top 13.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
You forgot to count Junior Worlds where there will be an additional 31 tangos. :cry:

I'm definitely a Forever Tango kinda guy, so that's ok in my book. If the same thing happens during a Paso Doble season, I may suddenly become oh a synchronized swimming fan!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i love tango... however, my problem this year is not the music no the theme but the fact that everyone is trying to think too much at making some sort of original tango... when it's just all laid down for you : just dance please!!!! funny how so many teams bring tangos in FD and then really bring it, but when it's in RD.... it's just a schmeerango

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
That’s what I’d originally thought but perhaps I misunderstood what I read and what they ment was that they had more difficult content? But I cannot imagine that Smart & Diaz wouldn’t go for every lvl4 they can get.

No, H/K don't have more difficult content than S/D. They're just executing a bit better and getting a few more levels.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
And what's preventing S/D from hitting their levels? A mismatch in skills and experience or nerves? I admit I haven't seen either team enough (though more S/D than H/K). I do prefer S/D's look, and I thought their SD+FD last season were quite attractive programs.

Clean edges. Smart & Diaz did not get their pattern or footwork levels up this season. Last year, their levels were quite close to Hurtado & Khaliavin's, but not this season. H&K came out earning level 3s on the pattern early and similar on the step sequences. S&D have had quite a number of 2s & 1s. The programs are earning good PCS, especially the short which is S&D's better program this season; and S&D have been outscoring most teams with similar levels. (Hawayek & Baker being the possible exception). But ultimately, S&D need to improve their footwork.

It's quite common. Most of the teams that have been fighting to climb into the top ten over the past several years have struggled because they struggle with earning level 3 footwork sequences.

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
No, H/K don't have more difficult content than S/D. They're just executing a bit better and getting a few more levels.

The BESP commentators, during Europeans, said something like the judges could look at H/K and think the content is more difficult/or there is more content in their programme and therefore go for them over S/D even though both performances were good, which is exactly what happened. Maybe S/D’s program is more open even though their BV is the same, making it less difficult? I’m just hypothesizing here - I’d need to go back and watch both to be sure.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
The BESP commentators, during Europeans, said something like the judges could look at H/K and think the content is more difficult/or there is more content in their programme and therefore go for them over S/D even though both performances were good, which is exactly what happened. Maybe S/D’s program is more open even though their BV is the same, making it less difficult? I’m just hypothesizing here - I’d need to go back and watch both to be sure.

On the footwork alone, Smart & Diaz lose 4 points to H&K. It is the key.

1904sk8

On the Ice
I agree with what someone said earlier about gadbois being a good place if you have your own ideas but they will help you grow them. I know this year p/c already had their music for a while and also went to Stephane Lambiel to help them. From what I have read most of my favorite programs from gadbois teams were programs the teams were really passionate about and the coaching team just helped bring to their fullest potential. With the amount of teams their the couples who need the coaches to suggest all aspects of the program will end up kind of blah (like what we see with h/d r+j)

Nika09

On the Ice
I'm definitely a Forever Tango kinda guy, so that's ok in my book. If the same thing happens during a Paso Doble season, I may suddenly become oh a synchronized swimming fan!

Agree here! Tango is beautiful and İ can watch it like...forever? And thanks to the FS world, who seems also deeply love it and bring it on ice in every possible discipline, I will :biggrin: Last seasons RD"s for example was torture for me to watch. It should be entertaining judging by the motives, but in a case only few teams managed it (I only recall Shibs right now actually...)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Note to Choreographers and Coaches: Befriend a theater queen who will be able to give you suggestion after suggestion after suggestion for little known but potentially wonderful Broadway songs and scores. They'll love to help and you'll have a far wider range of options than PoTO, Les Miz, WSS, Disneyeverything. And give those poor overworked warhorses a much deserved rest!

Status
Not open for further replies.