Country
United-States

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What about Petrov? Does anyone know?

We will see. This list isn't official so take it with a grain of salt until tomorrow. All I know is the CSKA entries are official because it's published on their site. Hopefully the list will show up since the competition officially starts tomorrow.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
We will see. This list isn't official so take it with a grain of salt until tomorrow. All I know is the CSKA entries are official because it's published on their site. Hopefully the list will show up since the competition officially starts tomorrow.

I don't see Voronov in the list. What about him?

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Cup final entries are up. List remains unchanged except Murashov is the 13th guy. So he may not come or someone else isn't.

ETA: All 13 senior men are in the draw! Competition starts tomorrow with Junior boys and Thursday for the seniors.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
No battle for World Championships spots here?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
If Aliev skates really well, he might have a shot at Kovtun's spot

I know Kovtun bombed at Euros and has been underperforming this season internationally, but IMO he really does deserve a spot at Worlds for winning Nationals. And I would say that about any of the guys had they won the Russian title. Second spot should go to Samarin, I’d say. Kolyada doesn’t have a second quad and is having some tech issues on his quad and axel this season, and Aliev is inconsistent and didn’t do well at Nationals. The only thing that could justify Kolyada/Aliev over them is that they got back 3 spots, and Kolyada’s a reigning World bronze medalist, but that shouldn’t have too much of a bearing, if they haven’t maintained such form this season.

rachno2

Record Breaker
I know Kovtun bombed at Euros and has been underperforming this season internationally, but IMO he really does deserve a spot at Worlds for winning Nationals. And I would say that about any of the guys had they won the Russian title. Second spot should go to Samarin, I’d say. Kolyada doesn’t have a second quad and is having some tech issues on his quad and axel this season, and Aliev is inconsistent and didn’t do well at Nationals. The only thing that could justify Kolyada/Aliev over them is that they got back 3 spots, and Kolyada’s a reigning World bronze medalist, but that shouldn’t have too much of a bearing, if they haven’t maintained such form this season.

I’m obviously biased, but I fail to see how Kovtun deserves the spot more than Kolyada. Kolyada has competed internationally seven times this season, winning two challengers and placing fourth and fifth at the major competitions. Kovtun has competed internationally only twice, winning a challenger (where his sole competition was Vincent Zhou) and placing fourteenth (!) at an ISU Championship. The fact of the matter is, Mikhail flopping still gets high PCS and excellent scores on his non-jump elements. You can dislike him, believe he is overscored, etc., but the judges do love him. After Samarin, I believe he deserves a spot the most.

I personally don't see a reason to change the composition of the team. They all earned their spots at Nationals, and nobody else has shown their consistency on the international stage. I do wish Kovtun was competing somewhere, anywhere, this week to prove his readiness (Kolyada is), but I won't disagree if he is sent to Worlds. He is National Champion, after all.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
So probably less controversy over team selection in the men also.
Russian male figure skating at the moment are rather underwhelming compared to the females.

Let's hope the men do well in WC and keep Russia in the top '3 spots league'.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I’m obviously biased, but I fail to see how Kovtun deserves the spot more than Kolyada. Kolyada has competed internationally seven times this season, winning two challengers and placing fourth and fifth at the major competitions. Kovtun has competed internationally only twice, winning a challenger (where his sole competition was Vincent Zhou) and placing fourteenth (!) at an ISU Championship. The fact of the matter is, Mikhail flopping still gets high PCS and excellent scores on his non-jump elements. You can dislike him, believe he is overscored, etc., but the judges do love him. After Samarin, I believe he deserves a spot the most.

I personally don't see a reason to change the composition of the team. They all earned their spots at Nationals, and nobody else has shown their consistency on the international stage. I do wish Kovtun was competing somewhere, anywhere, this week to prove his readiness (Kolyada is), but I won't disagree if he is sent to Worlds. He is National Champion, after all.

At the Challengers Kolyada won, 2nd place was just 239 points each time. Had Kovtun competed at either of those events he would have won them too with the 247 he won his CS event with.

I agree tha Kolyada had the better track record and scoring potential but he doesn't seem to be particularly motivated this season and he has yet to have a good competition since Nepela.

At any rate I'm glad he's likely going to Worlds because as a defending medalist he should be there IMO and also he stabilizes the Russians in case they underperform. I just want to see the fire in him that he had last season. He was lucky to get 4ths on the GP with those scores and along with Nationals it should have been a wake up call but his Euros wasn't great either. If I'm looking at momentum, Samarin is looking to be the saviour of the Russian men going into Worlds. I think he could do well because the pressure to maintain spots will be on Kovtun and Kolyada.

century2009

On the Ice
I would love to see Aliev at Worlds, but dont see it happening as he has been inconsistent and not performing well.

I think the spots will be Kotvun, Samarin, and Kolyada.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but Kolyada is competing this upcoming weekend at the Tallinn Hotels Cup.

Tutto

Record Breaker
At the Challengers Kolyada won, 2nd place was just 239 points each time. Had Kovtun competed at either of those events he would have won them too with the 247 he won his CS event with.

I agree tha Kolyada had the better track record and scoring potential but he doesn't seem to be particularly motivated this season and he has yet to have a good competition since Nepela.

At any rate I'm glad he's likely going to Worlds because as a defending medalist he should be there IMO and also he stabilizes the Russians in case they underperform. I just want to see the fire in him that he had last season. He was lucky to get 4ths on the GP with those scores and along with Nationals it should have been a wake up call but his Euros wasn't great either. If I'm looking at momentum, Samarin is looking to be the saviour of the Russian men going into Worlds. I think he could do well because the pressure to maintain spots will be on Kovtun and Kolyada.

Yeah, Kolyada is not motivated this season... people are so quick to judge :rolleye:
So he went to USA in the summer to train with Raf, he got Lambiel to choreo his SP and partly LP, he competed in more events than any Russian man and all that just for fun apparently?
It has been the common knowledge that he's struggled this season due to health problems - a chronic sinusitis which caused fatique, breathing difficulties, balance & coordination problems, it got worse as the season progressed and he finally was hospitalised and had a surgery 6 days prior to RusNats. The day before SP was the first time he was on the ice after hospital, he barely lasted through LP and yet managed to finish in second.
Again in case you don't know at Euro he got injured on 3A during LP and barely could finish the program his wrist was in the cast for 2 weeks.
Undoubtedly, consistency is his biggest problem but anyone can see he had to deal with a lot this season. Even with all the struggles his PBs remain the highest of Russian men and he will be the only Russian in SP final group in Saitama, for that alone I don't think RusFed is mad enough not to sent him

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I had sinusitis for years, and it caused so many problems: I didn't sleep well because it was tough to breathe. When you can't breathe through your nose, you have to breathe through your mouth and then your mouth dries up and your lips crack. And you SNORE!! Then there was the really, really bad pain. Finally, I had the surgery and within a week, I couldn't believe how great I felt. No more pain, no more lost sleep, and no more snoring.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I don't think the Fed is going to have any difficulty choosing the team as of this moment. Andrei did a clean SP, but his combo was so tilted it's a wonder how he landed it. As for Dmitri, :eek:hwell:. New program, but not a single decent jumping pass. He's having a hard time coming back after the Olympics - though he wouldn't be the only one. Let's see what happens tomorrow, and in the weekend with Misha also competing.

If Lazukin does a decent FS tomorrow, and Maxim or Misha bomb again, perhaps he might have a case for himself, but it's flimsy at best. It seems like even for alternates the Fed is a bit out of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.