ESPN World Fame 100 2019 - Yuzuru Hanyu #64 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

ESPN World Fame 100 2019 - Yuzuru Hanyu #64

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Alina Zagitova and Tessa Virtue are also in the female version of the top 25, both with $2.5 million in endorsement

About being famous in different countries, I wonder where tennis player Naomi Osaka will land in a year or two. She is already the #1 ranked women's tennis player in the world (ahead of both Serena Williams and Maria Sharapova, who are on the list). Her father is Haitian, her mother is Japanese, and she has lived most of her life in U.S.A. She "represents Japan," but it is not clear exactly what this means in an individual international sport like tennis.

(Although she just lost yesterday at the Indian Wells Masters. :( )

What we do know is that Naomi Osaka at this point is #10 on the ESPN's 2019 list of most famous women athletes -- posted by cruzceleste. :thank:

(For comparison, Tessa is #23 and Zagitova is #25.)

Naomi Osaka has represented Japan in Fed Cup team competition. On Japan's rosters for 2018 and 2017.

Side note: Naomi and Tessa :luv17: have something else in common. Both recently were selected as Barbie Role Models.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is a global version... :noshake: I'm sure a baseball player is not known outside of N-A at all..:laugh:

This is a global forum.

I’m sure South America and Japanese and Asian fans that follow baseball know who Bryce Harper is.

Because Europe is not the only part of the world outside North America :laugh:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I guess it is not as simple as just comparing absolute amounts. Nishikori has taken on way more endorsement than Yuzu, who generally restricts it to no more than 5 (as he prefers to focus on training and is not that interested in commercials). Japan sometimes publishes ranking of athlete's value per endorsement, and in a recent one, I recall Hanyu and Nishikori are similar in value, but Yuzu ranks higher. Given ESPN has Nishikori at $33m (he has like 15 endorsements) and Hanyu at $13m (with around 5), it accords with the Japanese ranking of per endorsement value.

Also - as I just thought when on his fest - it's more than possible that Yuzuru's total is incomplete - last year it was N/A and it's fairly likely some of the figures they couldn't get then are still not public. He's very very good at this privacy bit, and it's clear money or general fame aren't really what he cares about. That Japanese baseballer, I couldn't see him on the list, did I miss -? but I have gathered in passing that he is very private too.

In the end, we don't need to know, though fans will be happy that he's being rewarded for all the work and pain and insane pressure.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
There aren’t any Japanese baseball players on the list.

I mentioned Shohei Ohtani being the the most popular athlete in Japan - as an example that Major League Baseball is not exclusively followed in North America.

No need to quote on twitter;)

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I mentioned Shohei Otani and Ichiro Suzuki being the the most popular athletes in Japan - as an example that Major League Baseball is not exclusively followed in North America.

Oh I understood that - on a different note, I wonder if the countries where baseball is big and how their history with the US influenced that could be compared to cricket's development from Britain (I would lay good money that there's a very dull PhD thesis in there somewhere, if not already done)

When all is said and done, the really global megasports are what? Tennis, golf, formula one, soccer... horseracing? Everything else is parochial to a greater or lesser extent (even basketball, people here may have heard of Lebron ummm.... let me look up his name again :laugh: from the celebrity mags/news but most would be hard pressed to say what he does) or just not mega enough.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Football/soccer is clearly #1 with so many footballers on that list! I think there are too many American football players on that list though - not sure all those quarterbacks (and Odell Beckham Jr.) are really globally famous.

NBA is very popular in China and is definitely not just a North American thing either.

yude

Record Breaker
Gotta love a mysterious double Olympic Champ :laugh::luv17: truly amazing that he gets respectable spots on such lists given the fact he has zero social media presence.

Now he is doing the blog only temporarily on one of his endorsement's web sites and he revealed he liked cats (which we had already known), there were only 6 lines from him but the fans gave him more than 1200 comments, which was amazing and hilarious :laugh2:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Now he is doing the blog only temporarily on one of his endorsement's web sites and he revealed he liked cats (which we had already known), there were only 6 lines from him but the fans gave him more than 1200 comments, which was amazing and hilarious :laugh2:

True. I mean, he must know how popular and loved he is, but how would you be logging on the second day, trying to think of something more exciting than "I like cats" to say and seeing... that? I know I would find it flattering but daunting... imagine if and when he tells the world something they DON'T already know :laugh:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
This is a global forum.

I’m sure South America and Japanese and Asian fans that follow baseball know who Bryce Harper is.

Because Europe is not the only part of the world outside North America :laugh:

Yes, I know. The North-Americans and Japaneses knows who they are..and the American football players also..:biggrin:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Football/soccer is clearly #1 with so many footballers on that list! I think there are too many American football players on that list though - not sure all those quarterbacks (and Odell Beckham Jr.) are really globally famous.

NBA is very popular in China and is definitely not just a North American thing either.

NBA and NHL are very popular everywhere. Everybody who is interested in the sports knows Lebron James

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
NBA and NHL are very popular everywhere. Everybody who is interested in the sports knows Lebron James

Not really, NBA is been in decline for Latin América in the past years, maybe since Michael Jordan final year, and you will be lucky to find anyone that cares about hockey.

I will say hockey= figure skating fame for Latin América

Ulrica

On the Ice

I wouldn't call NBA a "North American thing" since in a lot of North American countries NBA is not that big, including Mexico which is one of the three biggest countries in NA, no one really talks about basketball here, heck I think baseball is bigger and that is not saying much.

Danibellerika

Medalist
NBA & NHL is not popular in many parts of Asia. It's not shown on tv. Football yes. Tennis, golf, F1, moto sports yes.

I remember there being an NFL game in Tokyo once some years back. And looking at their schedule they often play in London for a few games and once in Mexico in a season.

Rissa

Record Breaker

The true global stars are famous even for those who are not interested in sports. People like Serena Williams or Sharapova or Usain Bolt. Personally, I had no idea who Lebron James was until last year I read one of those "most famous" something or other lists linked on this very forum whereas I couldn't care less about Formula One, but even I knew who Schumacher was, even before I got more deeply interested in FS and started talking to people about sports. (I heard about Michael Jordan though.) I still don't know a single player name or even a single name of a team in NHL. It's not in the news, not in the papers, not on the websites I visit, not on social media I'm following, not among people I talk to, nothing. Like, Tiger Woods eventually made his way into my consciousness some time ago because of the scandal, but not NHL.

I guess what I want to say is that in order to be a global star you need to participate in a really global sport and there aren't that many of those.

That list up there IS extremely American-centric but c'mon what can really be expected from an American entertainment channel? That their list would consist 3/4 of names no American has ever heard of, sometimes in sports they didn't even know existed? Those lists are not for the purpose of actual research or informing the public, they're a click-bait and they give the readers what they want to read.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This list is not American centric.:)

I am American and I don’t know half of them. Literally. Any of those soccer players or cricket players could come up to me, and say Hi, I’m so and so, a world famous soccer player, or at least that’s what you call it, and I’d say what’s your name again?

I don’t even know who that number one athlete is. And who the heck is Schumacher?

The list may not be perfect, but trust me, it’s not geared to Americans:biggrin: ETA: and I’m still :sad21: about Nick Foles. I do care deeply about other sports that Americans care about. Which is why I don’t know at least half that list :laugh:

Last edited:

cruzceleste

Record Breaker

I am American and I don’t know half of them. Literally. Any of those soccer players or cricket players could come up to me, and say Hi, I’m so and so, a world famous soccer player, or at least that’s what you call it, and I’d say what’s your name again?

I don’t even know who that number one athlete is. And who the heck is Schumacher?

The list may not be perfect, but trust me, it’s not geared to Americans:biggrin: ETA: and I’m still :sad21: about Nick Foles. I do care deeply about other sports that Americans care about. Which is why I don’t know at least half that list :laugh:

Michael Schumacher, 7 times F1 champion, from Germany

Rissa

Record Breaker

Well, and proves how unglobal those stares are. To be fair, the only names on that list I recognized apart from Yuzu (annd Lebron James, thanks to last year's list - I think that was where I leant asbout his existence :laugh: )were a few soccer ones and a few tennis ones. Other than that, nothing.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Michael Schumacher, 7 times F1 champion, from Germany

I’m glad you gave me a link, because without it I wouldn’t know what F1 meant:biggrin: I will admit some Americans do follow racing, even if I don’t.

And I understand what people are saying about not knowing athletes, I think global is just impossible to do.

And I am shocked :eeking:that my man Carson Wentz :hap10: is on the list, even if barely. I would never presume that anyone outside the US knows him.

Maybe the fact that each and every person in the Philadelphia metropolitan area does makes up for it:laugh: