Ice Dance Technical Meeting (requirements for 2019-20) | Golden Skate

Ice Dance Technical Meeting (requirements for 2019-20)

Andrea82

Medalist
Today in Saitama, the ISU Ice Dance Technical Committee held the annual meeting for coaches, athletes to present requirements for next season.

The whole event has been live-streamed and the full video can be found at the following link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKPv2koFT_Q

Some points...

Rhythm Dance

Musical/Operetta confirmed as theme
Musics should be recognized as one of the following Rhythms: Quickstep, Blues, March, Polka, Foxtrot, Swing, Charleston, Waltz
Juke box musicals are allowed

Seniors:
One section of Finnstep, steps 1-33. Pattern must be skated on Quickstep, Charleston or Swing
4 additional required elements: short lift, sequential twizzles, pattern dance type step sequence (style b), step sequence in hold or not touching or combination or both (style b)
Pattern dance type step sequence (style b) should be staked on the same rhythm chosen for Finnstep. It should start immediately after the slide and stop of Step#33 of the Finnstep
Step sequence in hold or not touching or combination or both (style b) must be staked on a different rhythm than Finnstep.

Juniors:
As previously announced, Tea Time Foxtrot is the pattern.
Margaglio says it is very challenging for Juniors.

They admit that the +/-5 is not working very well in Ice Dance. It doesn't differentiate too much. They would need more +s. Halina Gordon Poltorak suggests a range from -3 to 7. Some little revisions of the chart of GOEs will be published in 2 weeks based on reports got from referees to make it easier to read the votes of the judges.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
At least they're self-aware on the GOE problems. I think maybe that the levels on the different lifts/step sequences should be different from one another like how the spins are in pairs and singles.

TanithandBenFan

On the Ice
They're going to fix the problem by giving even more positive GOE?? They need to go back to +3 or -3. The more positive GOE available, the more the levels of the elements don't matter. The top teams just get their scores padded even if they don't hit the top levels.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
They're going to fix the problem by giving even more positive GOE?? They need to go back to +3 or -3. The more positive GOE available, the more the levels of the elements don't matter. The top teams just get their scores padded even if they don't hit the top levels.

Or readjust the BV difference between the levels. The difference between last season and this one is not just the bigger GOE scale, but also that they decreased the point difference between levels. It's the combination of both changes that are really a problem imo.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Or readjust the BV difference between the levels. The difference between last season and this one is not just the bigger GOE scale, but also that they decreased the point difference between levels. It's the combination of both changes that are really a problem imo.

Very good point. I think it used to be 1.5 points separating them vs 1 point.

believed

On the Ice

Honestly, this is an incredibly misguided attempt to fix the problem.

Giselle

Medalist
Some things I thought were interesting :

- They want teams to submit the name of the musicals with the rhythm they use. That way they make sure it fits the theme. They gave the example of a Star Wars polka not being eligible (since Star Wars is not a musical).
- They want teams to have different set of twizzles in the RD and FD. They want more features to be used for the twizzles.
- They don't want the "hop and twizzle" feature in the exit of the lift to be used as an "intricate" feature. They want "unique/interesting" features.

Lastly, I think it's hilarious to have Maurizio Margaglio in the TC and Barbara Fusar-Poli as a coach asking questions :laugh2:
And Anna Capellini was sitting next to Barbara, does that means she's now coaching with team Barbara?

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Between MR and POTO, we will miss the Libertangos of this year.

How much from Moulin Rouge and POTO fits finnstep? I don't think those are the musicals we'll get a ton of. More like Chicago-type ones.

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
I completely agree that we'll probably be saved from a deluge of Moulin Rouge and Phantom due to the pattern dance requirements.

I'm sure we'll see a few My Fair Lady programs.

I've had Guys and Dolls in my head for much of the afternoon, and I think it could really work for someone.

rosy14

Final Flight
Some things I thought were interesting :

- They want teams to submit the name of the musicals with the rhythm they use. That way they make sure it fits the theme. They gave the example of a Star Wars polka not being eligible (since Star Wars is not a musical).
- They want teams to have different set of twizzles in the RD and FD. They want more features to be used for the twizzles.
- They don't want the "hop and twizzle" feature in the exit of the lift to be used as an "intricate" feature. They want "unique/interesting" features.

Lastly, I think it's hilarious to have Maurizio Margaglio in the TC and Barbara Fusar-Poli as a coach asking questions :laugh2:
And Anna Capellini was sitting next to Barbara, does that means she's now coaching with team Barbara?

And last year Maurizio and Barbara even debated on which step was more or less correct to use in Tango romantica.
Anna C. is not coaching, she accompanies the athletes and coaches as part of the Italian team. As does Pizzoccari, when he’s not judging.

mau

3Lz3Lo3Lo3Lo3Lo
On the Ice
They used the Brazilian staging of Peter Pan as an example of non-English musicals, nice :)

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just looked up the definition of Jukebox musical.....Does that mean we might hear some "American Idiot," "Mamma Mia," and "Jersey Boys?!" :biggrin:

Andrea82

Medalist
I just looked up the definition of Jukebox musical.....Does that mean we might hear some "American Idiot," "Mamma Mia," and "Jersey Boys?!" :biggrin:

Mamma Mia and Jersey Boys were indeed the examples of Jukebox musical given during the meeting. I think one team (Sales/Wamsteeker) already announced MM as the RD choice.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Yup. Also The Boy From Oz - and Tenterfield Saddler is a waltz. Think about it, Till&Bill!

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Mamma Mia and Jersey Boys were indeed the examples of Jukebox musical given during the meeting. I think one team (Sales/Wamsteeker) already announced MM as the RD choice.

I think the upcoming season will be one where it would make a lot of sense to announce your music EARLY, to try to preempt others using it. I can’t see there being a lot of really good, imaginative choices that will satisfy this particular set of requirements.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
If jukebox musicals are allowed then that means it could be possible to do Sunshine on Leith which could be fun?