Daleman: Cracked ribs from collision

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I remember this collision ...she's sporting a cane and and some nasty bruises

https://www.facebook.com/gabby.daleman

One thing about this cane is that it goes with non of my outfits ��
Seriously though thank you everyone so much for your get well wishes and positive energy if you don’t know about a week ago I had a bad crash on my warm up for the free program and I thought I was fine but I was in a lot of pain right away just shook it off and skated. But when I got home I got checked out and turns out I cracked two ribs have a very badly bruise knee and a concussion so with that said I have not let it break me or bring me down. I’ve gone through hell and back and this has only made me realize how strong I am staying positive, being happy and so thankful.

Last edited:

frida80

Record Breaker
Poor Gabby. How terrible she’s gotten injured so soon after starting to recover. Especially another concussion! :(

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
:( I wish Gabby didn't have to deal with this on top of everything she's already been dealing with. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
Poor Gabby! :(

The ribs and knee are bad enough, but another concussion so soon after recovering from the last one really worries me. I don't want her to end up like Joshua Ferris... :no:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
The scarier point is that she was running on adrenaline after this happened and didn't realize she had a concussion and skated with it.

I hope it doesn't cause any permanent issues.

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
Poor Gabby! :( She certainly didn't need this after the difficult year she has had. I hope that she takes the time to rest and recuperate.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I wonder why the team doctor didn't pull her aside for a proper examination. This was no tiny brush, that's enough of a collision to make a football player wince. I hope she gets well soon, on all fronts.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
I'm so gutted for Gabby, especially as she seemed to be slowly improving and building back up her strength before this competition, and I really hope this doesn't set her back too much (including mentally). The concussion part is really scary as well, two so close together is worrying, I hope she uses this off-season to really rest up and get back to full health :(

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:ghug: Gabby, may you heal completely! Keep up your positive attitude to get you through this!

Orlov

Medalist
I have only one question - where were the doctors of Canadian team? Why, after the FP, they did not do a medical examination of Gabi? Diagnosing suspicion of cracked ribs is not at all difficult for an experienced doctor, even without x-ray. And then send her to the x-ray examination in local hospital to confirm the diagnosis. This is the basics, it is their direct duty. Why was this not done, why did she skate the gala? Why does an elite athlete learn about сracked ribs only at home? How could that be possible? What if she fell on gala and fell on the same side?

evasorange

Final Flight
Umm wow watching that video clip it’s clear she was in so much pain after she fell why on earth wasn’t she pulled aside and examined right then and there?? Had she had a bad fall again on those ribs while skating her program it could have been catastrophic for her. Now between this and the American pairs couple(who’s name escapes me at the moment sorry) who’s lady was dropped and literally looked passed out on the ice but then got up and finished with no intervention from refs or medical teams....I’m really starting to doubt that isu cares or enforces injury and safety precautions

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Hoping Gabby has a complete recovery and time to rest and recuperate from a stressful season.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
ISU needs to impose more strict concussion protocols on all of the feds. We've seen some dangerous practices this year that put skaters at risk unnecessarily.

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
Umm wow watching that video clip it’s clear she was in so much pain after she fell why on earth wasn’t she pulled aside and examined right then and there?? Had she had a bad fall again on those ribs while skating her program it could have been catastrophic for her. Now between this and the American pairs couple(who’s name escapes me at the moment sorry) who’s lady was dropped and literally looked passed out on the ice but then got up and finished with no intervention from refs or medical teams....I’m really starting to doubt that isu cares or enforces injury and safety precautions

The Ashley Cain situation was inexcusable. They should not have been allowed to finish that skate. I have a little more understanding for not examining Gabby right after this fall. She got up quickly, seemed to waive off concern to the person she collided with and kept going. Which show s just how tough she is, but also may have not been enough to indicate needing to see a doctor especially since it wasn’t a head injury (or at least didn’t look to be one at first) and unfortunately falls happen fairly frequently in skating. But I agree she absolutely should not have been skating in the gala and should have had a full examination after the competition.

LindaTNo1

Rinkside
All my best to Gabby for a full recovery and back on the Cricket ice soon. ISU needs to wake up and start doing their jobs properly. Get well soon Gabby.

j00mla

Made in USSR
Final Flight
All my best to Gabby for a full recovery and back on the Cricket ice soon. ISU needs to wake up and start doing their jobs properly. Get well soon Gabby.

So, this year 3 top ladies got damage during warm up (Shcherbakova, Eun-soo Lim, Daleman), I guess it's too much, but is it fault of ISU or just bad luck?