2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating | Page 146 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating

Roast Toast

Medalist
Rika H. is kind of a tragic case, isn't she? I have a big soft spot for her. I remember when she was supposed to be the next big thing in Japanese ladies skating with her Riverdance... She's got those Lena Radionova jumps but imo she always skates with a lot of heart. [URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB7z3hAIp8Q=]Her 2017 Japanese nationals SP[/URL] was one of my top ten moments of the Olympic season.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Guys, do you know what's next in store for Marin?
As nationals didn't go that well, do you think she still has a chance to get 2 gp assignments?

figurefan0726

Final Flight
Guys, do you know what's next in store for Marin?
As nationals didn't go that well, do you think she still has a chance to get 2 gp assignments?

She’s number 32 on the season’s best list, which doesn’t guarantee her a GP, but she could surely get one if a skater withdraws or does well in the Challenger Series (that is what Eunsoo Lim did). She could also get the host spot for NHK if it doesn’t go to Yuhana Yokoi. At this point, we don’t know how she is, so I think she’s going to do Challengers, and hopefully get a GP spot and a bye to Nationals.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Last season on the JGP there was a Japanese skater who had the HUGEST 3lz-3t I've ever seen, I believe it got straight 5's across the board. Does anyone know who I'm talking about?

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
According to cohkaix's post:

JSF - 2019 strengthened athletes (FS) announcement:

Special Athletes
Men: Shoma Uno, Daisuke Takahashi, Yuzuru Hanyu, Keiji Tanaka
Ladies: Kaori Sakamoto, Rika Kihira, Satoko Miyahara, Mai Mihara, Wakaba Higuchi

Strengthened A:
Men: Kazuki TOMONO, Koshiro SHIMADA, Yuma KAGIYAMA, Tatsuya TSUBOI, Yuto KISHINA, Shun SATO
Ladies: Mako YAMASITA, Yuhana YOKOI, Ayaka HOSODA, Nana ARAKI, Tomoe Kawabata, Yuna SHIRAIWA

Strengthened B:
Men:Sota YAMAMOTO, Taichiro YAMAKUMA, SHU NAKAMURA, Sena MIYAKE , Mitsuki SUMOTO, KAO MIURA
Ladies: Akari MATSUBARA, RINKA WATANABE, Yuna Aoki, Wakana NAGANAWA , Moa IWANO, (松生理乃 - Matsuike Rino?)

things might be looking good for Tomoe, Yuhana, Ayaka, Mako and Yuna. *fingers crossed*
Hope it will work out. Obviously, if top 5 are getting 2 spots each, then not all of "A" skaters can hope for even one GP, but we'll see who JPfed will decide to support in the end.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I think she should stay in Juniors. Seniors is too crowded with stronger ladies (at the moment).

Junior field isn’t looking less stacked tbh, with Alysa, Kamila, Kanysheva, Tarakanova etc etc etc...
maybe she’ll have a better shot at juniors, but it’s not going to be much easier than seniors...

readernick

Medalist
Junior field isn’t looking less stacked tbh, with Alysa, Kamila, Kanysheva, Tarakanova etc etc etc...
maybe she’ll have a better shot at juniors, but it’s not going to be mich easier than seniors...

Maybe internationally, but Japan has a lot of competition in seniors and only a few younger skaters who will be age eligible for the JGP. In Japan, the senior field is much stronger.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
It would seem quite likely that Kawabata might do both. She's 53rd on the SB list, which is a tough place to be when you need a GP and there are a lot of ladies above her from the same country--at least 9--who need a berth or preferably two. And, as far as the junior field goes, Kawabata was more competitive than most of the junior Japanese ladies last season. The junior Japanese team could use Tomoe. Anyway, it wouldn't be at all surprising to see Kawabata do senior Challengers and the JGP.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
According to cohkaix's post:

things might be looking good for Tomoe, Yuhana, Ayaka, Mako and Yuna. *fingers crossed*
Hope it will work out. Obviously, if top 5 are getting 2 spots each, then not all of "A" skaters can hope for even one GP, but we'll see who JPfed will decide to support in the end.

A side note is that this list announced previously was based mostly on the results from All Japan FS Nationals in 2018. And this is NOT an indication of how many GP/JGP spots these skaters will get for the up-coming season! Also, according to unconfirmed news from twitter, the closed-door JGP selection competition will take place during mid June (most likely next weekend).

My personal 'guess' is that Tomoe will stay junior (will benefit from staying one more season in junior. Good that she's getting choreography from Lambiel and hope she can fix the slight under-rotation issue). And if she stays junior, it's more likely that she'll be competing all the way through at junior level and senior level competitions will only be possible during the second half of the season (after Nationals, with good results from nationals of course).

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Also, according to unconfirmed news from twitter, the closed-door JGP selection competition will take place during mid June (most likely next weekend).

Does the same happen for seniors? How do they decide who will get the rest of the GP spots?

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
Does the same happen for seniors? How do they decide who will get the rest of the GP spots?

The JGP and GP selections are completely different. The GP spots for seniors are given as invitations from the host country (So for Skate America, USFS extends the invitation, RusFed for Rostelecom, etc.) to skaters whose previous seasons' scores qualify them for a spot (or two, if they did well enough at Worlds the year before). After all the guaranteed spots are filled (top 24 in the standings), the hosts move down the list to skaters whose scores did not guarantee them for a spot. Aside from that, host countries may also invite their own skaters even if their scores don't reach the minimum qualification.

There are other nitty gritty details there (like the World Champion gets first pick of spots, the World silver medalist gets second pick, bronze medalist third) but that's the general idea.

The Japanese federation doesn't get to decide which senior GP events their skaters attend. The only GP they can control is NHK since they're the host federation.