2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 288 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I agree that Mariah needs to be able to max out her scoring potential with the five different triples she does before working on a 3A. I'm pretty sure that's the direction her team is going.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Perhaps you’re right. Mariah needs a great 3-3 before a 3A.

But maybe it’s just hard for her to pop off a second triple right after another; maybe doing a 3A is the right way to go?

That's my feeling too. But if she can't POP a 3toe on the backend of a combo, what's the likelihood she would rotate a 3a? It seems she's reached her peak. She hasn't had a reliable 3/3 in years.

readernick

Medalist
That's my feeling too. But if she can't POP a 3toe on the backend of a combo, what's the likelihood she would rotate a 3a? It seems she's reached her peak. She hasn't had a reliable 3/3 in years.

Have to respectfully disagree. There are skaters Mirai Nagasu for instance or more recently Ayaka Hosoda who did/do not have reliable 3-3s but could rotate 3A. Mariah's 2A is one of the best in the ladies field measured by height and distance. A 3A could be in her reach.

Happy Skates

Final Flight

Not saying that its likely she'll do a 3a, but I could definitely see a situation where someone could do a 3a an not a 3-3. Sometimes people struggle with putting jumps onto the ends of other jumps just because of how they land (a lot of times this happens with people who jump super high and then lose all of their momentum upon landing). Either way, it still is costly not to have a 3-3 so we'll see what happens.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
But, a big part of me says that Mariah is past her potential, but then another part says “Wait, hold on, there are so many skaters who got better in their 20s.” But Mariah has been trying and trying to get a fully rotated 3-3 and it rarely happens because she is a nervous competitor. She is also prone to making other mistakes.

andromache

Record Breaker
Have to respectfully disagree. There are skaters Mirai Nagasu for instance or more recently Ayaka Hosoda who did/do not have reliable 3-3s but could rotate 3A. Mariah's 2A is one of the best in the ladies field measured by height and distance. A 3A could be in her reach.

How often did Mirai rotate+land her 3A in competition?

Mariah having used to train the 3A in a harness is pretty meaningless.

Anyway - I don't think Mariah will ever have a 100% reliable 3-3, but I think she is getting to the point where it has improved enough to be okay. Sometimes she hits it, sometimes she doesn't. She should just keep at it. Her 3-3 definitely improved over the course of last season. Spending time training a 3A will mean a lot less time spent on her 3-3. Having an inconsistent-but-not-terrible 3-3 is better than having a bad 3A and a bad 3-3.

readernick

Medalist
How often did Mirai rotate+land her 3A in competition?

Mariah having used to train the 3A in a harness is pretty meaningless.

Anyway - I don't think Mariah will ever have a 100% reliable 3-3, but I think she is getting to the point where it has improved enough to be okay. Sometimes she hits it, sometimes she doesn't. She should just keep at it. Her 3-3 definitely improved over the course of last season. Spending time training a 3A will mean a lot less time spent on her 3-3. Having an inconsistent-but-not-terrible 3-3 is better than having a bad 3A and a bad 3-3.

I don't necessarily disagree.I never suggested she focus on 3A instead of a 3-3. I also never suggested that rotating a 3A on a harness means anything. My response had nothing to do with how she should best spend her time. It was only related to the previous poster who said that not having a 100% reliable 3-3 means Mariah can't learn the 3A. Skaters without reliable 3-3s have learned the 3A. Hosoda has a seemingly reliable 3A without a good 3-3 or even a good 3Lz.That was my only point.

natsulian

Final Flight

natsulian

Final Flight
Some of the ladies participating in the Aerial Challenge on June 29th:
- Alena Budko
- Hanna Harrell
- Isabeau Levito
- Alysa Liu
- Sarah Jung
- Alyssa Rich
- Noella Rose
- Audrey Shin
- Sierra Vanetta
- Kate Wang

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
- Alena Budko
- Hanna Harrell
- Isabeau Levito
- Alysa Liu
- Sarah Jung
- Alyssa Rich
- Noella Rose
- Audrey Shin
- Sierra Vanetta
- Kate Wang

Will there be a broadcast?

natsulian

Final Flight
They've had a live stream for the last few years, so I really hope so. Alyssa will be doing her 4Lz here!!!!! Hanna gets to show off any improvement on her 3A and 4T. This is going to be exciting!

Wish Ting would participate as well so we can see how far her 4T has progressed. Isabeau might surprise us as well, she said she was going to work on her 3Lz.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
- Alena Budko
- Hanna Harrell
- Isabeau Levito
- Alysa Liu
- Sarah Jung
- Alyssa Rich
- Noella Rose
- Audrey Shin
- Sierra Vanetta
- Kate Wang

Do we know if Alysa will be competing in the regular part of the Broadmoor open in addition to the Aerial challenge? Because then we might get new programs!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
For 2019/20, Gabbie Izzo "plans to compete at the senior level domestically and return to the Junior Grand Prix Series internationally."

Per the nice profile of her in Jun/July issue of Skating magazine (pp. 42-43).

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByP85hdHQWH/ (see fourth photo for the quote above)​

They've had a live stream for the last few years, so I really hope so. ...

USFS should really offer a free YouTube stream of this comp. ...

Agree with frida's optimism re 2019 Aerial Challenge streaming (whether on YouTube, Facebook, or whatever).

One way or the other, Tom Z (with some help from USFS) always has come through with streaming.

(Even if the exact source is not confirmed until the eleventh hour. :drama:)

ETA (on Jun 23):
Correction: I forgot that in the very first year, live streaming did fall through.
But since then, I think live streaming has been available, one way or the other.​

Again, I am optimistic re Aerial Challenge streaming.

But BTW, for Broadmoor Open streaming, previous vendor ProEventPhoto no longer seems to have any online presence??

Hope Broadmoor has an arrangement with a new vendor.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Thinking about the JGP, who is most likely to earn spots at this point? I believe the US has max 15 spots (2 at each event plus an extra spot at JGP Lake Placid) so hopefully a lot of girls can get experience! Would it look like the following?

1-2. Alysa Liu
3-4. Hanna Harrell
5-6. Gabriella Izzo
7-8. Emilia Murdock
9-10. Audrey Shin
11. Calista Choi
12. Pooja Kalyan
13. Isabella Inthisone
14. Aubrey Igancio
15. Lindsay Thorgren

concorde

Medalist
Thinking about the JGP, who is most likely to earn spots at this point? I believe the US has max 15 spots (2 at each event plus an extra spot at JGP Lake Placid) so hopefully a lot of girls can get experience! Would it look like the following?

1-2. Alysa Liu
3-4. Hanna Harrell
5-6. Gabriella Izzo
7-8. Emilia Murdock
9-10. Audrey Shin
11. Calista Choi
12. Pooja Kalyan
13. Isabella Inthisone
14. Aubrey Igancio
15. Lindsay Thorgren

Curious to see how accurate these predictions are since the summer competition season has barely started. I think we will know alot more after Skate Detroit, Philly, and Glacier Falls. My guess is there will be least 1 or 2 new names added to this list.

The big question to me is if Hanna Harrell will stay a Junior internationally or move to Senior. I can see the pros and cons of both.
I thought Gabriella Izzo was 18 - if so, is giving her two Junior slots really a good call?
The one newbie I am most interested in seeing on the JGP is Calista Choi. Keeping my fingers crossed she does well.