2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 289 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

truthbooth

On the Ice
The one newbie I am most interested in seeing on the JGP is Calista Choi. Keeping my fingers crossed she does well.

I agree. I think she is likely to get a second assignment if she does reasonably well (~top 5) at her first. She has among the most potential of the current US junior ladies.

Lindsay Thorngren scored an impressive 110.63 in her junior debut. If she keeps skating like this, she is very likely to get at least one assignment despite only competing in Intermediate last year. Has a skater ever gone straight from Intermediate to a JGP assignment before?

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Has a skater ever gone straight from Intermediate to a JGP assignment before?

Well, they probably all have to earn it via summer results as Lindsay might (and of course they have to be old enough to compete at the international junior level). Goku Endu and Nicholas Hsieh both did so. Tessa Hong competed on the 2015 JGP after winning intermediates at the 2014 Nationals.

natsulian

Final Flight
My guesses:
1-2. Alysa Liu
3-4. Hanna Harrell
5-6. Gabrielle Izzo
7-8. Calista Choi
9-10. Emilia Murdock
11. Isabelle Inthisone
12. Kate Wang
13. Lindsay Thorngren
14. Pooja Kalyan
15. Sarah Jung/Aubrey Ignacio/Lara

Hanna and Pooja may not compete as juniors this season, so their spots might be filled by other skaters. Calista has the goods to be a great contender on the Junior Grand Prix circuit and so does Emilia Murdock. Gabrielle Izzo needs a consistent 3-3 (so does Calista) and I hope she goes for either the 3F-3Lo or 3Lz-3T in both the Short and Free. Isabelle has a lot of potential, but she’s inconsistent and needs more competition experience. Thus, should she nail one of her assignments, I foresee many others coming her way. I hope that Isabelle can land the 4T and a consistent 3-3. Currently, we’ve seen Isabelle attempt the 4T (on a harness), a 2A-3T combo, and a 3Lz-Eu-3S. Kate has small jumps and suffers from consistency, but she has so much oomph and a lot of talent, so I really want to see her on the Junior Grand Prix. Currently, Kate trains a 3Lz-3Lo. Lindsay may not be the most gifted artistically, but her jumps have really good snaps and if she can nail a solid, fully rotated 3Lz-3T or 3Lz-3Lo, her technical components will be just as competitive as the other top junior ladies. If Sarah gets a fully rotated and consistent 3A or even a 3A-Eu-3S, then she has an outside chance of a Junior Grand Prix assignment. Aubrey needs to increase her technical difficulty to really stay with the top group, but she might get one assignment. Lara needs to find consistency and train a consistent 3-3, but her 3Lz-3T looks nice when she hits it so I’m crossing my fingers that Vincent worked some magic with her.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Something wrong with the link to the results of the intermediate ladies groups of the Colonial open. Do you have any idea?

Ykai, I finally have solved the mystery re Intermediate Ladies results at Colonial Open.

The links for Intermediate Ladies do work on the "Rink 2" page for Colonial Open. :)

But the only Colonial Open page available via NEICC's 2019 results index apparently was for Rink 1?
(So I guess that linking to segments for Intermediate Ladies was not really supposed to appear on that page at all?)
That page was the one to which I linked in my previous post about junior lady Indi Cha.

Meanwhile, the Colonial FSC site now has added PDF links to Rink 1 results and Rink 2 results.

Curious to see how accurate these predictions are since the summer competition season has barely started. I think we will know alot more after Skate Detroit, Philly, and Glacier Falls. My guess is there will be least 1 or 2 new names added to this list. ...

I will seize the opportunity :yes: for another broken-record :laugh: reminder that USFS also will be making observations/assessments at High Performance Camp (which usually follows Broadmoor Open) and via monitoring sessions at other times.

We will not be privy to which skaters are looking good (or not as good) during those observations/assessments.

ETA (on Jun 10):

Regarding Ting:

Today Coach Tom posted about a new WASA website: https://wasausa.com/
The home page includes the following excerpts:

WASA Board of Directors

Christy Krall, Chairman
Tom Zakrajsek, President
Damon Allen, First Vice President
Tammy Gambill, Second Vice President
Janet Champion, Secretary
Eddie Shipstad, Treasurer
Becky Cavlin [sic], Member At Large​

Come Train With 2019's Best!

World Bronze Medalist Vincent Zhou
World Junior Champion Tomoki Hiwatashi
World Junior Bronze Medalist Ting Cui
Korean Ladies Champion Young You
Chinese Ladies Champion Christy Leung​

Which suggests to me that Ting remains with WASA to this day.
(Although it is within the realm of possibility that she is switching coaches within WASA, a la Camden. As previously discussed in this thread: As of early May, Ting said that she still was with Tom.)​

SimplyAFan

On the Ice
Does anyone know if USFS is posting results/entries for the summer comps that are part of the new qualifying series? I tried looking for results from ice fest (Seattle sc) but couldnt find anything.

(Forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere on the forum...I’m anxious to see new programs from these ladies!)

natsulian

Final Flight
Mishin on Bradie Tennell courtesy of Figure Skating Universe user Tinami Amori: "This girl amazes me with her work ethic, she is a very good role model (for other skaters). I had 3 such good examples, of those who positively affected the micro-climate in my group - it is the Italian Kostner, Swiss Stephan Lambiel and now Tennell. But I am not able to offer her permanent training, unless she moves to St. Petersburg, so we'll work during summer camps".

It seems like Bradie will spend more time in the summer with Mishin and she's made a very strong impression on him. Funny how he says he will not able to give Bradie permanent training as a coach unless she moves to St. Petersburg full-time. However, since this partnership seems to be going well, I wouldn't be surprised if Bradie goes to him for more prolonged visits, especially before Nationals and Worlds.

In other news, Karen Chen was at the Excel Festival and she posted a side-by-side triple-Lutz with Camden and Sean. Starr was one of the guest coaches at "Skate Dance Dream" and she posted several videos on her Instagram Story. It also seems like Ashley was there? I'm not sure, but I seem to recall one of her Instagram stories being about the camp. Mirai is still healing and I wish her great health (she said her 3Lo are getting better, so she has 2A, 3T, 3S, and 3Lo, but no 3F or 3Lz yet). Polina is still at the rink grinding and recently posted some new skating clips of 2A's and 3Lz's. Gracie is posting more and she seems genuinely very happy, especially with her new rink which she now calls home.

ayb2

Rinkside
We were at Skate Dance Dream (Shaker Heights, Ohio) - Ashley Wagner, Starr Andrews, and Jimmy Ma were coaching skating, Gev Manoukian for dance. Karen Chen was the guest skater at that rink also this spring for their ice show, and I think we saw her short program. Ashley then got on a plane and went directly to the Excel Festival in Florida, so a busy week for her.

andromache

Record Breaker
Mishin on Bradie Tennell courtesy of Figure Skating Universe user Tinami Amori: "This girl amazes me with her work ethic, she is a very good role model (for other skaters). I had 3 such good examples, of those who positively affected the micro-climate in my group - it is the Italian Kostner, Swiss Stephan Lambiel and now Tennell. But I am not able to offer her permanent training, unless she moves to St. Petersburg, so we'll work during summer camps".

It seems like Bradie will spend more time in the summer with Mishin and she's made a very strong impression on him. Funny how he says he will not able to give Bradie permanent training as a coach unless she moves to St. Petersburg full-time. However, since this partnership seems to be going well, I wouldn't be surprised if Bradie goes to him for more prolonged visits, especially before Nationals and Worlds.

Good for Bradie! I know she's not very well-liked in general, but she really won me over with her grit and vast improvement over the past 2 seasons. I'm hoping her time with Mishin will help with her UR issues.

humbaba

Final Flight
Does anyone know if USFS is posting results/entries for the summer comps that are part of the new qualifying series? I tried looking for results from ice fest (Seattle sc) but couldnt find anything.

If you look on the competition's webpage, there is a link to a PDF with results from Ice Fest. Click on the 2019 All Results link.

http://seattleskatingclub.net/ice-fest/

ETA I found this on Sylvia's Unseen Skaters. I've found it's the best bet for results from US club and summer comps. Here's the link for anyone who may not be familiar with Sylvia. https://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/

ice coverage

Record Breaker

(Forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere on the forum...I’m anxious to see new programs from these ladies!)

If you look on the competition's webpage, there is a link to a PDF with results from Ice Fest. Click on the 2019 All Results link.

http://seattleskatingclub.net/ice-fest/

ETA I found this on Sylvia's Unseen Skaters. I've found it's the best bet for results from US club and summer comps. Here's the link for anyone who may not be familiar with Sylvia. https://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/

Thx to humbaba for the update. :)

2019 results had not been added yet when I looked last night (IIRC) at the Seattle SC page for IceFest, so I imagine that it was a matter of SimplyAFan looking in the right place, but just too "early."

Agree that Sylvia :bow: is a good resource. :agree:

BTW/FWIW, what USFS is posting (on its members-only site) are National Qualifying Series standings, with the corresponding highest scores.
(But I believe that NQS standings will not include skaters who compete in NQS events without registering for the NQS.)

Also BTW, the YOG selection procedure is based on NQS.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Good for Bradie! I know she's not very well-liked in general, but she really won me over with her grit and vast improvement over the past 2 seasons. I'm hoping her time with Mishin will help with her UR issues.

Personally, I like her a lot. It's much easier to practice things you're good at instead of focusing on improving deficiencies, and you can tell she's spending a lot of time on all aspects of her skating. We see some skaters battle the same problems year after year, and I'd be surprised if Bradie ends up being one of those athletes.

SimplyAFan

On the Ice

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Personally, I like her a lot. It's much easier to practice things you're good at instead of focusing on improving deficiencies, and you can tell she's spending a lot of time on all aspects of her skating. We see some skaters battle the same problems year after year, and I'd be surprised if Bradie ends up being one of those athletes.

I generally find her to be technically solid, but I'm sure it was frustrating to have to go back to the lutz-toe when she wants to level up. Hopefully Mishin can help her work out the lutz-loop and give her more spring in her jumps too.

I still think her artistry is a work in progress though and I would've liked to see her maybe spend a week or two with Lori Nichol this summer. I'm glad she feels comfortable with Benoit but diversifying as she's growing, like Kaori Sakamoto is doing, would help her expand her vocabulary. I can see her having a very strong season.

natsulian

Final Flight
If either Mariah or Bradie want to become National Champ, upgrading their technical content is a necessity. Alysa will be gunning for a consecutive title with a technical content consisting of quads and two 3A's... neither Bradie or Mariah's PCS will be enough to make up for the point deficiency IF Alysa manages to hit all her jumps, spins, and steps. Then we have the potential dark horses such as Ting and Hanna. Ting will be hungry to make it onto the podium after her disastrous Short this year and Hanna will be just as hungry to improve her placement. Both ladies, I heard, are working on quads with Hanna possibly training a 3A. These three ladies alongside Pooja, Huang (she recently competed at a NQS event), and a few others have competed against each other for a very long time and it's awesome to see how much they've grown. Best of luck to all of them.

andromache

Record Breaker
If either Mariah or Bradie want to become National Champ, upgrading their technical content is a necessity. Alysa will be gunning for a consecutive title with a technical content consisting of quads and two 3A's... neither Bradie or Mariah's PCS will be enough to make up for the point deficiency IF Alysa manages to hit all her jumps, spins, and steps. Then we have the potential dark horses such as Ting and Hanna. Ting will be hungry to make it onto the podium after her disastrous Short this year and Hanna will be just as hungry to improve her placement. Both ladies, I heard, are working on quads with Hanna possibly training a 3A. These three ladies alongside Pooja, Huang (she recently competed at a NQS event), and a few others have competed against each other for a very long time and it's awesome to see how much they've grown. Best of luck to all of them.

I am genuinely curious as to how strong the desire is to become national champ. The title seems to mean less than it used to (when US national champs were winning world medals on the regular). Of course it's AMAZING to be national champ! But when the defending national champ isn't eligible for Worlds? I feel like the primary goal is making the World team and being able to place as high as you can internationally. Of course in order to place higher internationally, upgrading tech is important. But consistency is probably more important than upgraded tech, at least for the US ladies. Upgrading tech and reducing consistency (such as Mirai did) isn't worth the risk.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Upgrading tech and reducing consistency (such as Mirai did) isn't worth the risk.

What? It was totally worth it for her to upgrade her tech, and it didn't reduce her consistency. She made the Olympic & World team.

Or we talking about years before?

andromache

Record Breaker
What? It was totally worth it for her to upgrade her tech, and it didn't reduce her consistency. She made the Olympic & World team.

Or we talking about years before?

Mirai had one clean, rotated 3A in competition. That's not consistent. And her other elements remained inconsistent, and her spins and PCS suffered as well.

Granted, that one clean, rotated 3A happened at the perfect moment - team event at the Olympics - with a clean program. It definitely paid off for her career and ability to make a name for herself outside of skating.

Mirai made the World and Olympic team, but she was never really able rise in the ranks internationally, in large part due to her inconsistency. Rising within your own country doesn't always mean rising internationally.

Should Bradie and Mariah focus on trying to beat Alysa at Nationals with quads and 3As? Or should they focus on putting out clean, solid performances on the GP to increase their credibility in front of international judges? They are extremely unlikely to be able to do both, since putting 3As and quads in their programs on the GP to prepare for Nationals means that those programs are likely to be messy.

:clap: :clap: :clap: I love that kind of performing. Forget all that jumping and rotating in the air. :laugh:

Mirai had one clean, rotated 3A in competition. That's not consistent. And her other elements remained inconsistent, and her spins and PCS suffered as well.

I think that Mirai did work hard on her consistency, and also her presentation, in the middle years of her career. But the results were not what she hoped for.

She then turned to the triple Axel as an all or nothing alternative.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Mirai had one clean, rotated 3A in competition. That's not consistent.

Well, then even inconsistent, upping her difficulty was totally worth it.

(Actually, the jump was pretty consistent. She landed a higher percentage in warm-ups & practices than possibly any lady I've seen. It's just that she has competition nerves, and they tend to creep into her performances no matter what content she is doing. Hence, when she upped her difficulty, the results were better. Because she had those competition nerves with less-difficult programs as well. It wasn't what I expected when she first started talking about adding the axel. But it was how it played out. I actually think that trip at the beginning of her performance in the team competition is what dialed her in at the Olympics before the axel and made her focus throughout the rest of the program. Same thing with Jeremy Abbott's program at Nationals in 2014 when he very nearly missed the countdown and started behind the clock. Almost blowing it right off the top refocused him. He struggled with competition nerves quite similarly to Mirai. Adam and his quad lutz were the same deal back in 2014-15 and 2015-16 when he finally broke through and got himself back on the World team. Consistently inconsistent but worth more points than when he mucked up his axel at the beginning, which he was just as likely to do back then if he shelved the lutz).