2019-20 Russian Men's figure skating | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Men's figure skating

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Really liked Danelyan, real Spanish flair, and he looks the part of a toreador too.

All in all, good young men and one wonderful boy, but as a whole added up, not of the same level as the girls that competed later that day.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
My top 3 were Mozalev, Gumennik, and Samsonov. I like Kovalev's program, Kutuvoy and Georgy have potential. I used to be Georgy's biggest cheerleader here, but I feel like he's lost some of his spark and uniqueness...well, at least he's got better music than that dreadful cowboy program last season. The rest were forgettable.

But why is it necessary to compare them to the girls all the time? I thought most of the girls' programs seemed interchangeable & bland as oatmeal, frankly.

Artemisa

Final Flight
My top 3 were Mozalev, Gumennik, and Samsonov. I like Kovalev's program, Kutuvoy and Georgy have potential. I used to be Georgy's biggest cheerleader here, but I feel like he's lost some of his spark and uniqueness...well, at least he's got better music than that dreadful cowboy program last season. The rest were forgettable.

But why is it necessary to compare them to the girls all the time? I thought most of the girls' programs seemed interchangeable & bland as oatmeal, frankly.

I have to say that i agree ... The girls were very good but the programs were boring... I can't say who skates to what music ... The Sp of the boys were at least different from each other .. I could say ( even with falls) their programs were better than the girls

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
There is a considerable greater variation in home rinks for the boys. Different training styles, different emphasis on artistry, different choreographers, it all makes for more variation.

I am glad too there were no Willy Wonka or slapstick routines.

Do boys have a smaller idiom to chose their programs’ expression from? It’s OK for a girl to do a tomboyish routine, but boys think they always must display masculinity and certain stereotypes prevail therefor?
Even in Russia which has a great male lead dancer tradition in ballet.

I heard only two Russian language songs being used today, one great but that Va Banque cover I found not so great.
I do wish those boys would take more music from domestic rock bands.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
i agree with all of you saying that girls program were, at laest for now, interchangeable and kind of boring (at least to me). about the boys, some of them weren't that ready yet, but enjoyed almost everyone, my favourites are techno-robot Yablokov and Kutovoi. i don't know yet what i think of my two baby boys Danielian and Gumennik, i need to rewatch their programs maybe in competition, as for now they don't impress me much

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I noticed a big improvement in a lot of these young men. Very impressive. Lots of great programs. Yablokov’s is cool, the choreography is very effective. Artur’s SP suits him a lot and the step sequence is so fast but he doesn’t loose control and rush at all! Petr has matured and his movement quality and jumps have become more refined. Love Artem’s music but ouchy fall on the 3A [emoji20] Georgy’s SP is cool but that triple axel air position is awful, no wonder he fell [emoji20] and I just love little Andrey’s skating - his program is so full of spunk and he has incredible musicality! And he’s only 13. I also thought that Egor has improved the most. His jumps looked very solid especially the 3A, and his skating skills so much better! I’m not sure about the program just yet but I can see and myself growing to like it more. Shame about the bobble on the spin at the end but he saved that well [emoji23] And little Daniil - well, all I can say is he skates like a feather flying through the air, but a fast feather [emoji28]

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
I do wish those boys would take more music from domestic rock bands.
not only rock music but generally more domestic composers/bands. It always feels like unexpected amazing surprise when I hear one even in EX programs not to mention competitive :laugh: Yet everyone takes american jazzy music like million of times:laugh:

Kunitsa & Scorpions:luv17:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQe4x0WB148

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Thoughts on SP and FS.

Overall JGP will tell how much things have changed, I didn't notice much difference to be honest: some decent performance, not many clean FS yet which is not too bad considering we're still in August.

I think my pick for who's gonna be the best is Petr Gumennik: he has decent skating skills, good spins, two quads in the free, the programs are nice and he showed good consistency last season.

My personal favourite is actually Andrei Kutovoi: I really like his programs, and he has the best posture, skating skills, he owns the ice like no other in juniors.

Andrei Mozalev is also very good but he needs to show more consistency.

Artur Danielian, he has great skating skills, very talented but he needs to improve on some of the jumps and spins.

Gleb Lutfullin showed some beautiful jumps including a great 4 Salchow, and he fought for all the elements here, I hope he gets a spot. He needs to improve on spins and stamina and skating skills though.

Artem Kovalev has very good programs but he is also very inconsistent, good triple axels shown here though.

Matvei Vetlugin, I like his skating a lot but same problems with the jumps, hope for the best this season.

Egor Rukhin was the best here among Eteri skaters, he looks stronger than last season. No quads.

Georgiy Kunitsa, SP music is incredibly bland, it needs a change of tempo mid program. The Free is better except Daniil cut for the ending which is just fading the music is so offensive ( he did that last year too with Erokhov's FS).
Georgiy has very good spins, nice twizzles but his axel technique is horrible.

Daniil Samsonov, susprisingly bad here. The FP music is the generic Josh Groban we've heard so many times, the program is very generic and then yes all the mistakes he did here.

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany
I like also Kutovoi, he showed the most personality on the ice today.

Despite his mistakes today and pretty much lacking in choreography, Gumennik seems ready to lead the junior team. Is he now the oldest?
Danielian is a darling and he seems to have stabilized his jumps compared to last year, how does it look with a 4T for him?

Samsonov has a load of good skills but at the moment his programs don't stay in my memory.

Mozalev gives me Samarin vibes. Every movement looks teach and not organic.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Despite his mistakes today and pretty much lacking in choreography, Gumennik seems ready to lead the junior team. Is he now the oldest?
Danielian is a darling and he seems to have stabilized his jumps compared to last year, how does it look with a 4T for him?

Yes, Gumennik is the oldest at 17. Everyone else is a year or more younger. Danielian with a 4t is maybe not happening, he hates the toeloop. He works on the 4s.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
https://tass.ru/sport/6739301
Gumennik's interview, main points:
1) he can't wait to compete in seniors, hopes to do senior B and challengers this season
2) would be satisfied if he could do 3 quads next year, 2 salchows and 1 lutz.
3) goals for this season - gpf, junior worlds podium

https://tass.ru/sport/6738927
Rukhin's interview, main points:
1) confident in his 3A, 4sal is around 70% ready
2) wants to include 2-3 quads this season, those would be sal and toe 100%
3) his idol for a technique is Nathan Chen, performance and work ethic/focus - Yuzuru

https://www.sports.ru/figure-skating/1076950885.html
Danielyan:
1) he's not in his best shape, around 50-60% of the optimal one
2) likely to do 2 quads in fs, for now focuses on doing his sal
3) he was injured last season and competed injured, but he thinks it was a positive experience.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Kutovoi is a huge huge talent. Oh my gosh.

The Russian talent pool with their current selection of juniors is very promising.
But should these boys apply the same principle as Kostornaya and Kanysheva in the girls: less difficulty is more execution reward until you're absolutely sure you can nail those quads without rushing the rest of your program?

Tough choices, since a bad quad outweighs so many good skating skill rewards, etc.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The Russian talent pool with their current selection of juniors is very promising.
But should these boys apply the same principle as Kostornaya and Kanysheva in the girls: less difficulty is more execution reward until you're absolutely sure you can nail those quads without rushing the rest of your program?

Tough choices, since a bad quad outweighs so many good skating skill rewards, etc.
At the junior level, at least, I'd generally say the cleanest program wins, as long as it meets certain minimal technical levels. Iakovlev, who at the time didn't even have a triple Axel, almost beat Torgashev (who had a botched quad and triples Axel) on the JGP, and would have if he hadn't lost a spin.

Artemisa

Final Flight
First I think the boys can teach the girls how to choose a music ... They need consistency because they have good programs ... I think Russian Fed is going to do the same that she does to the girls ... if you have sucess in your first you are going to a second jg...

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

Eteri is trying to apply the exact same methods they did with girls to boys, so far it is not working: yes less talents, the injuries but results are not as good, we'll see with Samsonov.

CSKA also did the same with Kovtun and Samarin, all about the jumps. They changed the approach with Danielian and Iakovlev.

What I like here is that most coaches are keeping the old approach for the boys with good ballet training, and the old school technique on quads and 3a which is maybe not good for consistency but certainly more accurate and judges have to reward a better jump.