2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 563 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
It sure is impressive, but why?

To wow at some random novice local competition?

It seems too much pounding on young bones, knees and hips.

They are kids, learning and jumping quads is fun, its a challenge, for some a game even.

And you win with quads, even a child knows this. And winning is what they want most of all.

Zhilina is extremely muscular, when taught properly, no harm will come her way. Rozanov is perfectly capable.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I'm home from Las Vegas. Fun trip. Quickly lost $20 in the slots and that was my gambling allowance! My thoughts about the ladies event:

1. Shcherbakova- Her -loop combos in practice are rarely UR. Too bad she had problems with the URs. I wish she had more power in her jumps, especially in her -3sal. Her scores speak for themselves, she's wonderful, but I wish she'd work on her spins. It seems she likes doing the back camel in her spins, but it is slow, ill-positioned and brings the spin down. I was surprised how weak a spinner she is. She really needs to improve on them, Trusova is Lucinda Ruh compared to her. She was very consistent with her 4lz in practice, but no 4t or 4f attempts. I'd love to see her just SKATE correct crossovers, but she has her own stylized way of doing crossovers. I think her skating would stand out more if she had crisp clean crossovers. I'm okay with her frame, I danced for years, I'm used to really thin. She looks all of 38 kilos. She's clearly made her mark now. Practically bought her ticket to Euros and Worlds already. She is an amazing performer.

2. Tennell- Hmm, she was cleanish. I hoped that I'd like her skating more in person, but nope. What is glaring to me is that she is not performing but is just executing choreography, if that makes any sense. I know it's early in the season, but you get a sense of who has a 'program' versus who is just doing choreography. Good for her to take second. I was surprised.

3. Liza- This was confusing, but my overall impression was that she is just all over the place. She was landing the 3a left and right, as easy as a double. To me it looked like she was 'filling in' the program with transitions, her program didn't look all THAT empty. After seeing Anna's spins, I didn't really think Liza's spins were so terrible at all. She left so many technical points on the ice though. When you double out of things and don't maximize the jumps that everyone else is landing, those 3a's aren't going to make you a champion.

4. Kaori- I thought she should have been higher, but she also was a popping mess in the LP. She is strong and fast. I love her programs.

5. Wakaba- I was glad to see her back, but I couldn't figure out why I used to like her skating so much. She was just a mess in practice, seriously. I was shocked that she went clean in the LP, and I'm sure the judges were too. Probably explained her low scores. So she laid down a strong program which should give her confidence this season.

Konstantinova- She looked off in practice. Didn't look like she belonged. Her meltdown was not just unsurprising, it was expected. Jet lag? Maybe she will lose her second GP spot?

Miscellaneous: I said hello to Eteri!!! I didn't have the nerve to get a selfie or even take a picture of her from afar!!! She's hella gorgeous....

Giltedge

Final Flight
... [snipped a lot of interesting stuff]...

5. Wakaba- I was glad to see her back, but I couldn't figure out why I used to like her skating so much. She was just a mess in practice, seriously. I was shocked that she went clean in the LP, and I'm sure the judges were too. Probably explained her low scores. So she laid down a strong program which should give her confidence this season....

I really wish they would forbid the judges from attending the practices and warm-ups. They can take their seats immediately before competition each flight starts. Especially because it's so random. Some are there watching and even filming the practice days. Others not. For those who would say, but they can watch the skaters in any case, that's not the point. Of course they will be familiar with the skaters (to a varying degree). But to sit there watching a skating falling about in a practice (or not) is bound to send subliminal messages to their inner-held prejudices.

...Miscellaneous: I said hello to Eteri!!! I didn't have the nerve to get a selfie or even take a picture of her from afar!!! She's hella gorgeous....

Super!

5. Wakaba- I was glad to see her back, but I couldn't figure out why I used to like her skating so much. She was just a mess in practice, seriously. I was shocked that she went clean in the LP ... ]/quote]

You mean the SP, right? Her LP was far from clean.

Miscellaneous: I said hello to Eteri!!! I didn't have the nerve to get a selfie or even take a picture of her from afar!!! She's hella gorgeous....

:rock:

Last edited:

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I really wish they would forbid the judges from attending the practices and warm-ups. They can take their seats immediately before competition each flight starts. Especially because it's so random. Some are there watching and even filming the practice days. Others not. For those who would say, but they can watch the skaters in any case, that's not the point. Of course they will be familiar with the skaters (to a varying degree). But to sit there watching a skating falling about in a practice (or not) is bound to send subliminal messages to their inner-held prejudices.

Yes, just in the six minute warmup, Wakaba had several ugly falls, pops, you name it. I couldn't believe she skated so well in her LP. I was expecting a total meltdown so I was just trying to reacclimate to this skater that wasn't falling all over the place during the performance. It was hard to appreciate her skating skills when you are expecting a wipe-out every twenty seconds. I am sure the judges didn't know what to do.... Earlier in the week, there was talk she would go for a 3a. I never saw even one attempt.

Also, I forgot to mention Karen Chen. She is a lovely skater, but she's skating like she always has. UR, pops, great spins/spiral. But all the same wonderfulness with all the same awfulness. Looks like Nationals is again between Liu, Tennell, and Bell. I suppose I need to figure out my disaffection to Tennell's skating and learn to appreciate her.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
It sure is impressive, but why?

To wow at some random novice local competition?

It seems too much pounding on young bones, knees and hips.

To prepare for seasons to come. The same reason you learn triples young. I'm not saying it doesn't have bad effects on the joints, but I do think its too early to tell whether the effects of training quads this young have significantly worse effects than training triples young. And I'm not talking about you specifically, but I don't remember seeing as much criticism when Stephen Gogolev was doing quad lutzes at 11. Not that your concern isn't valid, because it is. But I'm not sure why the line is drawn at quads.

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I'm home from Las Vegas. Fun trip. Quickly lost $20 in the slots and that was my gambling allowance! My thoughts about the ladies event:

1. Shcherbakova- Her -loop combos in practice are rarely UR. Too bad she had problems with the URs. I wish she had more power in her jumps, especially in her -3sal. Her scores speak for themselves, she's wonderful, but I wish she'd work on her spins. It seems she likes doing the back camel in her spins, but it is slow, ill-positioned and brings the spin down. I was surprised how weak a spinner she is. She really needs to improve on them, Trusova is Lucinda Ruh compared to her. She was very consistent with her 4lz in practice, but no 4t or 4f attempts. I'd love to see her just SKATE correct crossovers, but she has her own stylized way of doing crossovers. I think her skating would stand out more if she had crisp clean crossovers. I'm okay with her frame, I danced for years, I'm used to really thin. She looks all of 38 kilos. She's clearly made her mark now. Practically bought her ticket to Euros and Worlds already. She is an amazing performer.

Don’t you think her spins have improved though? They are better compared to Lombardia. Especially the layback & biellmann. Her flexibility is always amazing, and she is working on centring and speed in that back camel. The fly camel looked less scary

le01

Rinkside
1. Shcherbakova- . She's clearly made her mark now. Practically bought her ticket to Euros and Worlds already.

Doubt it. All 3As have insane technical content but Zagitova is Olympic and reigning World champion so someone has to be left behind

skatergurl7

On the Ice
Doubt it. All 3As have insane technical content but Zagitova is Olympic and reigning World champion so someone has to be left behind

:/ my dream team is Alina Anna and Alena, but no way they leave Sasha off even if she bombs at nationals. Russia truly deserves more spots, wish they can take Kazakhstan’s this year now that Elizabet is injured

Amei

Record Breaker

If Trusova/Shcherbakova/Kostornaia in competition are consistently landing their technical content which is more difficult than Zagitova's then it would be ridiculous for 1 of them to get left off in favor of her because of her past accomplishments. And before anyone jumps down my throat - my statement can be applied to any Russian senior ladies skater.

colormyworld240

Medalist
Don’t you think her spins have improved though? They are better compared to Lombardia. Especially the layback & biellmann. Her flexibility is always amazing, and she is working on centring and speed in that back camel. The fly camel looked less scary

Anna's spins have definitely improved this season. She's always been very flexible so she can hit positions, but last season at many comps her spins travelled like crazy and she lost control of some and it got messy. For example at RusNats in the FS. This season her spins are much more centred. They still have room to improve. I think Alena has the best spins right now, with Alina coming second.

:/ my dream team is Alina Anna and Alena, but no way they leave Sasha off even if she bombs at nationals. Russia truly deserves more spots, wish they can take Kazakhstan’s this year now that Elizabet is injured

Or they could take Finland's or Mayasia's spot. ;)