Marin Honda | Page 64 | Golden Skate

Marin Honda

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
To heck with scores. I love her and would watch her just because she makes me and my dog happy. Go Marin!

ArgieFan

Rinkside
I'm very sorry to have to say that I don't think Marin will recover. And I'm more sorry to see Marin go down and down. Marin has been the skater I liked the most, even more than Yuna Kim. I would have been satisfied if Marin was just a 2nd line skater and would have always followed her. She has a set of wonderful qualities, but she can't take advantage of them because she lacks one esential quality: the will to fight.
It will be difficult to find another skater as charming as her. For me It's not enough for a skater to be technically remarkable, like Kostornaya or Zagitova, she must have gracefulness and charisma and beauty. All together.
At this moment I have no reason to see skating, they all look like robots to me, mere athletes. But I will explore from time to time, in case a wonderful new genius appears as Marin was in his time.
And about Marin, I don't think she'll outdo the Japanese nationals. I think she'll quit soon. I'm very sad.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I'm very sorry to have to say that I don't think Marin will recover. And I'm more sorry to see Marin go down and down. Marin has been the skater I liked the most, even more than Yuna Kim. I would have been satisfied if Marin was just a 2nd line skater and would have always followed her. She has a set of wonderful qualities, but she can't take advantage of them because she lacks one esential quality: the will to fight.
It will be difficult to find another skater as charming as her. For me It's not enough for a skater to be technically remarkable, like Kostornaya or Zagitova, she must have gracefulness and charisma and beauty. All together.
At this moment I have no reason to see skating, they all look like robots to me, mere athletes. But I will explore from time to time, in case a wonderful new genius appears as Marin was in his time.
And about Marin, I don't think she'll outdo the Japanese nationals. I think she'll quit soon. I'm very sad.

Hey, no need to be pessimistic, Marin can still make a turn around, she’s only 17, still pretty much a baby (although, that might be a lot in „skating years“).
I think Raf really has a special soft spot for Marin, and I’m sure he takes enough time to work with her.
And look how wonderful Mariah is doing, after quite a few seasons of lackluster results, she really is re-emerging as a strong competitor, delivering her best ever technical content, and that’s in her 20s.
Raf is a coach who helped many many skaters to revive their careers after them having bad seasons with other coaches, the list of people who he truly helped to make that turn around is quite big. I believe this will be the case for Marin as well, she’ll get there in her own time.

pandatours

On the Ice

K bye!

Regardless of what happens with Marin’s career, she chose to fight for her future with a new coach, new language, and new life. Whatever her reasons are for still skating, she is working through her issues and showing up every day. It really sucks that figure skaters have such a short career, in other sports you can appreciate athletes more through the ups and downs and figure skaters are more expendable.

Most importantly, her communication with RAF seems to be improving. This season she seems happier and healthier than ever. When you face setbacks it is always little by little that you fight your way back. Doesn’t mean it’s back to what you were, just back to a place where you’re content

pandatours

On the Ice
I think Raf really has a special soft spot for Marin, and I’m sure he takes enough time to work with her.
And look how wonderful Mariah is doing, after quite a few seasons of lackluster results, she really is re-emerging as a strong competitor, delivering her best ever technical content, and that’s in her 20s.
Raf is a coach who helped many many skaters to revive their careers after them having bad seasons with other coaches, the list of people who he truly helped to make that turn around is quite big. I believe this will be the case for Marin as well, she’ll get there in her own time.

The thing I appreciate about RAF is that he is honest but he is loyal. He also acknowledges when he is wrong or acted poorly or out of ignorance. No coach is perfect but I think he is a good coach for her. I also think he has a soft spot for Marin, I know he was often exasperated by her last season but he also absolutely recognizes her talent and potential. If she was not working hard with him, he would...say so tbh. Not as terribly as Mie Hamada, but we would know.

ArgieFan

Rinkside
Thanks for cheering me up. I was so sad that I didn't want to see the last FS of Marin (that I downloaded), I only saw that she got 106 points and I saw a fall when passing. I'm still afraid to look at it. But I saw photos and videos of the banquet and she seemed happy.

cta12345

Spectator
marin to attend meiji university in spring 2020

Thanks for cheering me up. I was so sad that I didn't want to see the last FS of Marin (that I downloaded), I only saw that she got 106 points and I saw a fall when passing. I'm still afraid to look at it. But I saw photos and videos of the banquet and she seemed happy.

marin will attend meiji university in april 2020; same university as wakaba higuchi...

rabidline

Final Flight
I saw her latest Instagram post. Is that the qualifying skate? Is there a video at all? What were her scores?

Marin participated in 2 local competitions before Nationals, I assume it's for pre-Nationals tuning:

1. 29th Aichi Figure Skating Competition 2019
It's a SP-only competition, Marin scored 66.40 and placed 2nd after Rino Matsuike, with Mako Yamashita 3rd.
Marin's not from Aichi, but Miyabi Oba, fellow skater and Marin's senpai from Aichi reccommended her to come.

More photos/info here:
- https://twitter.com/kokomadekokomo/status/1203661136156954629
- https://twitter.com/figureskatingm1/status/1204267493348392961
- https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20191208-00010028-chuspo-spo

2. Kyoto Prefectural Sports Festival 2019
It seems to be a FS-only(?) competition, and Marin placed first.

More photos/info here:
- https://twitter.com/kokomadekokomo/status/1206011196618338304
- https://twitter.com/ohnishi_f/status/1205825805411995648
- https://twitter.com/LoveSakuraaaa/status/1205861560884707336

Also, Marin is reported to attend Meiji University at Tokyo for college, specifically School of Political Science and Economics. Her training base will remain at the U.S. with Coach Rafael Arutunian.
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20191216-12150374-sph-spo
https://twitter.com/figureskatingm1/status/1206337954395738112

Wishing Marin all the best for Nationals! :luv17:

skatespin

On the Ice
How is Marin going to attend University in Japan, but also train with Raf in the US? I imagine she will be spending a lot of time away from the US...

pandatours

On the Ice
How is Marin going to attend University in Japan, but also train with Raf in the US? I imagine she will be spending a lot of time away from the US...

Yuzu is also a university student, he takes online courses which is what I believe is the path Marin will follow. The reason for splitting her training this year most likely has to do with her failing to get funding from the federation

pandatours

On the Ice
Marin’s reaction after her skate was so emotional, it made me almost cry. I’m so proud of her, I don’t think it was her best but it was clean and much better than last year. But it’s these moments that mean a lot

breadstal

Record Breaker
A very interesting article that explains what Marin has been through so far.
https://europeonice.com/2019/10/24/marin-honda-road-to-redemption/

Her most honest interview I've seen :cry: To see her acknowledge that the popularity and endoresments distracted her, that she was not able to focus solely on skating in Japan, communication problems, makes me emotional but also relieved. It's been hard to see her struggle for last two years, it must have been terrible for her, so her saying it all out loud, is comforting. She's been taking things step by step and we clearly see it. I hope things only will get better and better.