2019-20 Japanese Men's Figure Skating | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Japanese Men's Figure Skating

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Shoma was really basking in the Applause Of Pity.

No shame in trying something new, but this experiment needs to end RIGHT NOW!

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
What on earth is wrong with Shoma? Is he sick or injured??? :shocked:

yude

Record Breaker
Just no injury for Shoma. Please.

It's still early in the season, I believe he should be fine. He said he was going to see Lambiel after this.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Simply and utterly gutted for Shoma.... but, in the words of a screen character picked herself up and went on and up like we know he can and will...

"Tomorrow... is another day."

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker

No shame in trying something new, but this experiment needs to end RIGHT NOW!

I wouldn't call it an applause of pity. I can only speak for myself, but when I see a performance like that and am in the audience, I feel worried and anxious, and just want to show appreciation to the skater for battling on, and to try and transfer the crowd's energy onto the struggling skater. It's definitely not pity that's at the forefront of my mind.
That said, I think I'd like for Shoma to find a Japanese coach who can give him kind and solid guidance and fix his confidence and jump issues at the same time. I like Lambiel, but Koshiro and Deniss aren't shining examples of solid jumps at the moment.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Pity? Don't know where you're getting that from. Try encouragement and support. That arena was full of people who had flown from all over the world to see Shoma. I doubt they pitied him. Raf clapped for him too. Didn't see any pity there. He was asked to skate in the gala even though he came in 8th.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
That said, I think I'd like for Shoma to find a Japanese coach who can give him kind and solid guidance and fix his confidence and jump issues at the same time. I like Lambiel, but Koshiro and Deniss aren't shining examples of solid jumps at the moment.

I suggest Yuma Kagiyama's coaching team. It might not be the environment that Shoma is looking for, but Yuma has solid jumping technique, great skating skills and is a pretty good all around skater. Plus, Yuma wants to start working on a quad flip. There would be no language barrier and it could create a friendly rivalry! Yuma's scores are not too far away from Keiji at the moment.

yude

Record Breaker
I suggest Yuma Kagiyama's coaching team. It might not be the environment that Shoma is looking for, but Yuma has solid jumping technique, great skating skills and is a pretty good all around skater. Plus, Yuma wants to start working on a quad flip. There would be no language barrier and it could create a friendly rivalry! Yuma's scores are not too far away from Keiji at the moment.

That's interesting.

Actually I thought about Oda, but realistically speaking, he won't be able to be a full time coach of top skaters since he has been very busy with TV jobs.

haribobo

On the Ice
MEN- (200+) bold = international scores/skaters, unbold are from sectionals
Yuzuru Hanyu 322
Shoma Uno 255
Keiji Tanaka 250
Yuma Kagiyama 245
Sota Yamamoto 240
Kazuki Tomono 229
Shun Sato 219
Koshiro Shimada 216
Mitsuki Sumoto 209

Ryuju Hino 207
Shu Nakamura 200
Taichiro Yamakuma 200

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Pity? Don't know where you're getting that from. Try encouragement and support.

And love, the sort of love Japanese fans simply do. THat doesn't transmute into pity over a rough skate or stretch (ask Mao).

That arena was full of people who had flown from all over the world to see Shoma.

And I've seen the comments from some - quite a few of them - on social media, and they were upset for him, there was sympathy but no pity... and not even a skerrick of disappointment for the money or time, for going there and being a part of that support.

LynsJ

On the Ice
I was in the arena and I felt nothing like pity. It felt like 100% support and love. The energy the crowd was trying to give him was unreal. It was my first time seeing Shoma live and I was blown away by the support his fans and every person in the rink gave him. It was something else. [emoji178]

Interspectator

Record Breaker
The support the crowd gave to Shoma is so deserved. He performed despite everything. He didn't let himself just go through the motions. --He's loved for a reason. :ghug:

MEN- (200+) bold = international scores/skaters, unbold are from sectionals
Yuzuru Hanyu 322
Shoma Uno 255
Keiji Tanaka 250
Yuma Kagiyama 245
Sota Yamamoto 240
Kazuki Tomono 229
Shun Sato 219
Koshiro Shimada 216
Mitsuki Sumoto 209

Ryuju Hino 207
Shu Nakamura 200
Taichiro Yamakuma 200

These scores show a close race for 2 of the 3 Worlds slots. It's all up in the air this season in a way that is unexpected and a little unsettling for me.
For years now Yuzu and Shoma have been a solid 1-2 and an unofficial lock for the spots following their GP assignments. This time it feels different. I wonder if this will have an invigorating effect on the other Senior men, or if it will give them extra nerves when they perform?

readernick

Medalist

That's a really good idea. Actually, Yuma reminds me a lot of Shoma, ( not yet on the same level performance wise) but he is better at checking his jumps. Perhaps, Shoma should consider that. However, I get the feeling that Shoma might like a coach who is a bit motherly. He currently has a technical coach and seems to be doing pretty well in practice but he fell apart in competition. He needs encouragement and emotional support. I don't know who could give him that. Priscilla Hill seems motherly but then there would be a language barrier.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
There's a lengthy Shoma interview article in today's Asahi Online ("Kiss and Cry" section), but I can't read it, because I'm not a paying subscriber. Any GSers out there who can access the article?

Gabby30

On the Ice
Congrats to Kazuki Tomono for winning Japanese Western Sectionals today! :clap:
https://twitter.com/atom_doshisha/status/1190906766495604736
Kazuki won the event delivering a strong FS after being 6th in the SP, with a total of 214.55. Sota won silver with 213.84, and Mitsuki won bronze with 211.47

Full results and link to protocols here: https://twitter.com/tsuyoboogie/status/1190884893670035456

For a moment i thought you forgot that this is not a Kazuki Tomono fan fest thread, but then you remembered that other skaters were there too... At least Tomono is doing well at local events...

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
For a moment i thought you forgot that this is not a Kazuki Tomono fan fest thread, but then you remembered that other skaters were there too... At least Tomono is doing well at local events...

The winner of West Japan sectionals has every right to be mentioned here because unlike your inconstructive snarking at skaters and users alike, it is relevant to the thread.

The field looks so unpredictable at the moment, Nats is going to be nervewrecking since the field of contenders is so wide. I am excited and anxious at the same time.