1981 World Champion Irina Vorobieva passes | Golden Skate

1981 World Champion Irina Vorobieva passes

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
1981 World champion in pairs Irina Vorobieva (with Igor Lisovsky) has died on 12th april 2022 at the age of 63. She lived in the USA, the alleged cause of death is an accident.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Terribly sorry about this loss. I confess I don't remember her as a skater at all.

I visited Wikipedia to gather some explanation as to why I didn't recall her or her partner, because I was definitely a fan at that time. After the retirement of Irina Rodnina, who had a stranglehold on major pairs titles for over a decade - coupled with the post-1980 Olympic story of Tai and Randy, pairs skating went into a period in which different world champions were crowned for five years in a row. Sometimes the medalists were "one and done." Irina and Igor were in that group. In 1981 they won Euros and Worlds, and excepting a Euro bronze medal the following year, they never did too much more. By 1982, they were only 5th at the Soviet championships.

But for one glorious season, they had the "hot hand" and they played it to perfection.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She was part of the first winning Moskvina pairs.
Here is the 1981 World Championship Gold winning freeskate complete with Dick & Peggy commentary and a glimpse of Madame Moskvina at the end. They were a classic pair of strength and power with the Moskvina look.

Also side by side triple salchows and Moskvina's first use of Chaplin music...

Vorobieva coached several American teams
Brittany Vise and Nicholas Kole, Tiffany Vise and Derek Trent, and Shelby Lyons and Brian Wells.

As you can see I was a fan of them.

Last edited:

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Vorobieva with her previous partner being coached by Moskvina.
Some death spiral variations that I've never seen before.

Last edited: