2002 Olympic Champion Sarah Hughes running for US House seat

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptvvibezz

MK forever
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Sarah Hughes, the 2002 Olympic figure skating champion, filed paperwork on Monday to run for a seat in the U.S. House of Representatives.

Hughes, 38, filed to run as a Democrat in the 2024 election for the Republican-held New York 4th District, which is adjacent to the district that includes her hometown of Great Neck.

“Born and raised on Long Island, Sarah is concerned about where we’re headed, whether it’s rising prices, public safety and gun violence, or threats to women’s health,” a spokesperson said in an email. “She’s putting the pieces into place to make an announcement in the next few weeks.”

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Very interesting. It will be two years before the election, and I imagine a primary in one year's time (or whenever NY State holds primaries). I have no idea, but I imagine there will be a primary battle as this is seen as a competitive race.

To keep this appropriate for the Edge, it will be interesting to see how much Sarah emphasizes her skating/Olympics background.

Hughes, 38, filed to run as a Democrat in the 2024 election for the Republican-held New York 4th District, which is adjacent to the district that includes her hometown of Great Neck.

The "adjacent district that includes Great Neck Long Island" is the 3rd -- currently served by George Santos. :laugh: Why doesn't Sarah run there? I suppose it is because every Democrat in the state will be lining up for that job.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope. But didn't Sarah republican and not democrat? I don't know which political party she is. Do the different political party endorse one another?

The article says that Sarah has filed for the Democratic primary.

Sarah's father, a stellar college hockey player at Cornell, founded a New Yprk law firm that handled mostly tax and real estate issues.Her mother was active in various causes such as breast cancer awareness. As far as I know the Hughes family was not especially involved in partisan politics. The father did, however, serve for many years as the lead attorney for the USTOA (U.S. Tour Operators Association), which lobbies Cangress and various government agaencies on behalf of the tourism industry.

Sarah was befriended (as was Micheel Kwan) by the Republican secretary of state Condoleezza Rice (herself a former amateur figure skater). Here's Sarah meeting U.S President Geoirge Bush, a fellow Eli. at the White House. (An Eli is a Yale University student or graduate ;) I see that even at a young age Sarah had the political good sense to laugh at the President's jokes.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.