2018-2019 State of Canadian Ice Dance | Golden Skate

2018-2019 State of Canadian Ice Dance

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Tessa and Scott have vacated their thrones (again), for good this time (we presume).

But in contrast to Canada's departing legends in the men's and pairs categories, Canadian ice dance is uniquely deep. Indeed, this is the only area where we have more Top 15-caliber entrants than we can have spaces for at Worlds in the next few years. The players:

Kaitlyn Weaver & Andrew Poje, who had two seasons as Canada's #1 team during the interregnum, in which span they also won two Grand Prix Finals and excruciatingly narrowly missed the World Championship title. Had a rocky time in the last little while, but capped the 2017-2018 season with their first Worlds podium finish since 2015. They seem likely to inherit the national title again.

Piper Gilles & Paul Poirier, who would be the reigning national champions if they skated for all but a couple of countries. Unfortunately for them, they've generally been stuck in second/third banana status nationally. As an aside, these two are my favourites. Anyway, they ended 2017-2018 with their highest scores to date; it seems like they're finally being allowed into the upper echelon in terms of scoring (if not quite yet making it into the final flight).

Carolane Soucisse & Shane Firus, the newbies to the international scene, who (rather like Gilles and Poirier four years ago) got to go to Four Continents in lieu of the Olympics and win a silver medal there. They made a solid debut at Worlds afterward. With Tessa and Scott gone, they'd seem well-positioned to neatly slide into the third Canadian spot at Worlds going forward. Except for...

Laurence Fournier Beaudry & Nikolaj Sorensen, who gave up trying to make Laurence Danish and have found it much more viable to make Nikolaj Canadian. Obviously not getting to go the Olympics was a crushing disappointment for them after working so long and hard to qualify a place for Denmark there. Here's to more favourable returns for their efforts from now on.

Going forward:
1. Looking at the Worlds results, one could easily get the impression that Tessa and Scott's absence freed up some points to be awarded to Weaver/Poje and Gilles/Poirier, as they both got noticeable scoring boosts relative to what they got at the Olympics for similar performance quality. Can they keep this momentum going?
2. Kaitlyn and Andrew are actually both older than Tessa and Scott (if narrowly, both cases), so it seems like most have been assuming they aren't contemplating another full quad. At the same time, it seems unlikely they'll make this their last season, what with 2020 Worlds being in Montreal.
3. In the race for third place on the 2019 Worlds, Laurence and Nikolaj are the more internationally experienced team, but expect a race to see if Carolane and Shane, who have been steadily improving, can head them off. If nothing else, Carolane and Shane can compete internationally this fall, which Laurence and Nikolaj can't.
4. Looking to the international junior scene, Marjorie Lajoie and Zachary Lagha came ever-so-close to the podium at the 2018 Junior Worlds. They've enjoyed steady improvement, and will be looking to get more than a small medal next time.

lovaticcanada

On the Ice
I think Lajoie/Lagha will turn senior next season. They have already been to junior worlds 3 times, and won two junior titles. I do not think they have much to prove in juniors except for a medal at junior worlds/junior grand prix final. They will likely slot in as the 5th place team. In addition, since Laurence/Nikolaj cannot compete internationally, and Carolane/Shane are already 18th in SB, they are guaranteed a spot, so L/L are likely to get the host spot for skate canada.

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I think Lajoie/Lagha will turn senior next season. They have already been to junior worlds 3 times, and won two junior titles. I do not think they have much to prove in juniors except for a medal at junior worlds/junior grand prix final. They will likely slot in as the 5th place team. In addition, since Laurence/Nikolaj cannot compete internationally, and Carolane/Shane are already 18th in SB, they are guaranteed a spot, so L/L are likely to get the host spot for skate canada.

or maybe they could go the senior domestically, junior internationally route. At least it'll get them a spot at junior worlds whereas they'd have basically no chance of overtaking both Carolane/Shane and Laurence/Nikolaj for a spot at senior worlds. That probably won't happen for a while anyways, but at least they can take the junior big events while they can.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
or maybe they could go the senior domestically, junior internationally route. At least it'll get them a spot at junior worlds whereas they'd have basically no chance of overtaking both Carolane/Shane and Laurence/Nikolaj for a spot at senior worlds. That probably won't happen for a while anyways, but at least they can take the junior big events while they can.

They'd have to make both senior and junior programs to do that. In which case, it might make sense to do the senior GP and a couple CS events and then just focus on junior after Nationals.

lovaticcanada

On the Ice
For dance, juniors/seniors have different requirements, so the transition between junior and senior is not the same as pairs/singles. For example, this season:
Junior: Cha Cha Congelado
Senior: Rhumba

So for pairs/singles, they would only need to learn and practice 2 programs (and may lengthen it slightly), but for dance, it becomes closer to 4 different programs if you want to skate both juniors/seniors.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
For dance, juniors/seniors have different requirements, so the transition between junior and senior is not the same as pairs/singles. For example, this season:
Junior: Cha Cha Congelado
Senior: Rhumba

So for pairs/singles, they would only need to learn and practice 2 programs (and may lengthen it slightly), but for dance, it becomes closer to 4 different programs if you want to skate both juniors/seniors.

Which is why I think they'll probably either do just seniors or just juniors.

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
oh true i forgot about the different patterns thing for dance... never mind then haha

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think Lajoie/Lagha will turn senior next season. They have already been to junior worlds 3 times, and won two junior titles. I do not think they have much to prove in juniors except for a medal at junior worlds/junior grand prix final.
Eh, that seems like a solid reason to do it, at least from my vantage. Barring something really unexpected (and granted, this is a sport for the unexpected), they’re not likely going to get to a major international championship until the 2022 Four Continents event.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Canada has had a great depth when it comes to the ice dance discipline over the years , so even with the retirement of Tessa and Scott, I have every faith it will continue. I'm sure Weaver and Poje will lead the way and other young teams will follow. Looking forward to the new season.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Holy cow! May this be the year that Piper and Paul go to the GPF then!!
They were already favoured to make the Final again, as sixth-place finishers at Worlds (and with no significant competitors absent). This definitely increases their odds further, though, especially if C/L also don’t compete.