2019-2020 Russian Nationals travel notes | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2019-2020 Russian Nationals travel notes

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
How did Nugu and Guby do in the free skate?

I liked them both. Yes, Gubanova looks like have gained some weight. That's why her jumps were, as people say, "labored". But her arms are as good as they always were. She was not slow. All her elements looked solid. I think that her only miss is Bielmann that she no longer does. Or I may be mistaken. As for Nugumanova, her Bielmann was alright. Her skating was lovely - may be she was a bit shaky a couple of times. I guess, that she was severely punished with URs as her score did not correlate with what I saw. At all.

You've made some interesting points about Sasha.

I don't know if she is following the media. In any case, it was impossible not to be aware of the hype around her especially after JO when she beat clean Zagitova by 10 points. May be this hype was the reason of her shock after being just 3rd at GPF. May be she is losing confidence after not being able to have a stable 3A with all her jump talents. May be there is some other reason. Or may be it's nothing and she will shine during the Europeans and later the Worlds shutting up all the naysayers and non-believers.

Where is the cup of Russia final?

I think, it will be Novgorod, same as last year. I am not going. This year biggest suspense was 3A vs. Zagitova vs. Medvedeva vs. Tuktamysheva. Now the only suspense left is how the 3A will split the podium at the Europeans and the same question about the worlds where Rika might say her word breaking the magnificent trio.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Thank you for posting this. Always very interesting.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I liked them both. Yes, Gubanova looks like have gained some weight. That's why her jumps were, as people say, "labored". But her arms are as good as they always were. She was not slow. All her elements looked solid. I think that her only miss is Bielmann that she no longer does. Or I may be mistaken. As for Nugumanova, her Bielmann was alright. Her skating was lovely - may be she was a bit shaky a couple of times. I guess, that she was severely punished with URs as her score did not correlate with what I saw. At all.

I don't know if she is following the media. In any case, it was impossible not to be aware of the hype around her especially after JO when she beat clean Zagitova by 10 points. May be this hype was the reason of her shock after being just 3rd at GPF. May be she is losing confidence after not being able to have a stable 3A with all her jump talents. May be there is some other reason. Or may be it's nothing and she will shine during the Europeans and later the Worlds shutting up all the naysayers and non-believers.

I think, it will be Novgorod, same as last year. I am not going. This year biggest suspense was 3A vs. Zagitova vs. Medvedeva vs. Tuktamysheva. Now the only suspense left is how the 3A will split the podium at the Europeans and the same question about the worlds where Rika might say her word breaking the magnificent trio.

Thank you for your detailed assessment Sam. I agree with your assessment about Nastia and little Liza. They are so much better than they are scored it's so disappointing. I am surprised Gubanova can skate as well as she can and as fast as she can while going through what some might say is a hard hitting puberty the last 2 years. I just hope she has settled into her new body and can improve her jumping where it's not so labored like you point out. Her arm work is still incredible as you point out. I think both her and Nugu are doing fine with their new coach. Nastia has had three coaches in three years that's very risky business. It certainly leads to some sort of instability and inonsistency.

I also think Nastias weight gain is muscle not fat. Her body fat % is probably low. People can lose fat fast. How do you lose muscle? Not easy.

Little Liza got off to a fast start this seeason and was a spinning whiz but her results have gone back to where they were which is disappointing.

Why doesn't Nastia do a Beillman spin anymore? Just not flexible enough and legs are too strong?

The Russian Cup final this season will be an opportunity for Little Liza or Nastia or several others to shine. Last year it was all about Zhenya versus Liza Tutk and everyone else was pushed to the side. This year is a golden opportunity for a semi breakthrough for a girl or 2.

I think this season is very important for Sasha. She has had to adjust to not dominating like she did her two years in juniors. She needs to adjust mentally to having to fight for everything and not just blow people away. This actually may be very good for her in the long run and by the long-run I mean the next Olympics in a little bit more than two years. Sasha has advantages over her competition and if she keeps those advantages while improving her weaknesses then she really will be great. But she doesn't need to rush into greatness and it seems like she is in a rush. as I've mentioned many times recently somebody needs to get a hold of her and say hey take your time let everything fall into place for you. As for Sasha feeling the hype about her that would be impossible not to do. She is only human after all.