2019 Junior Worlds Men's Short Program | Page 28 | Golden Skate

2019 Junior Worlds Men's Short Program

shine

Record Breaker
Daniel Grassl's skating skills are very lacking.....as is pretty much everything about his skating. Did he get the junior men with big quads boost in the scores even without doing any quads?

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Just realized all the top men after the sp are around 19 years old, and should not be qualified for JW next season. So this is not really a men's event to spot the upcoming young and promising. It totally killed the thrills for me.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just realized all the top men after the sp are around 19 years old, and should not be qualified for JW next season. So this is not really a men's event to spot the upcoming young and promising. It totally killed the thrills for me.

That's a shame, but that's what I love about the junior men. They take their time (for the most part), develop, develop, develop, and go senior when they're completely ready.

That's what makes it so thrilling for me:biggrin: Of course, the last thing that thrills me is a jump for the mere sake of a jump, or many jumps for the sake of many jumps, so there is that;)

s_parks

Record Breaker
Daniel Grassl's skating skills are very lacking.....as is pretty much everything about his skating. Did he get the junior men with big quads boost in the scores even without doing any quads?

His score is the most puzzling to me as well, even when considering the fact that he skate last in the last group. The judges had no business scoring him higher than Danielian, Gumennik, and I see little reason to place him over even Gogolev.

s_parks

Record Breaker

I feel conflicted about this. I admit to feeling quite over skaters that stick around juniors until they age out because it feels like many of them don't really get anywhere(if we're being blunt...) either way. Men's is kinda weird I'll admit- pairs and ice dance definitely take longer to reach top senior status, and ladies peak the earliest of the disciplines... men's is strange because they do hit their prime younger than pairs/dance, being singles, but then the jumps take time to develop, especially having to do 3As and quads, while also developing SS, etc. But it's also strange to see 18-19 year old, pretty grown? dudes compete with 13-16 year old boys. idk. I do suppose it's rather unrealistic on my part to only expect juniors who are exceptional at a young age like hanyu, uno, and more recently, cha were/are.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Thank you, Tomoki! That was the cleanest SP he has had this season. I really love this program. Was skated with a bit more expressiveness earlier this year, but this time he stayed focused throughout and delivered.

Really happy for Camden that he skated that SP the way he can. I really think his performances in the free this season have had nothing to do with how he skates the short. (Think he has some issues with some of the elements in the free). But I'm really glad for him that he went out an skated this program that we all know he can skate well.

Kudos to Irakli for finally nailing all his jumps in his SP. First time this season. I really miss the Uptown Funk program he had earlier in the year though.

Terrific bunch of performances today!

Don't agree that Petr skates bigger than Gogolev. Petr has ice coverage issues. He has beautiful positions though, and significantly has a triple lutz triple loop combo--which makes a big difference without the quad in the SP. It's how Kraznozhon edged most of his competition last year in the SP in juniors.

sorry i'm just upset at him being lowballed here! :sad21: I am on the spectrum so i may get a little overreactionary at times.

Go back & watch the program. He had problems on two spins, in addition to the deductions on the combo and the flip. (I wouldn't have a clue about the flip, but you could see the spin problems in real time).

I really really wish the more notable skaters were all put into the last two groups. :/

They are;). But you have to bring in the World Standing points to become a more "notable" skater. Which means you need to put in your multiple seasons and/or skate the senior & junior events simultaneously within the same year to become a more "notable" skater. (A lot of these guys have put in a lot of time getting to this point).

It's not going to matter, you know. The men's event at Junior Worlds generally comes down to who delivers the points in the free skate where the quadruple jumps are allowed. The no-quad rule is a great equalizer in the SP, but it only lasts through the SP. Samohin won this coming off a 9th place SP in 2016. Vincent won it coming off a 5th place. We're a long way from home here. Bunch of these guys putting up a great fight though!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Yes with the quads who knows who will win. But I admit it looks like we have some grown men and some little boys competing. That Canadian boy we keep calling Gogo looks like a boy not a man.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Live from the arena, YES! Skating last helps as well but he should not have been 2nd best here on PCS. Less than 1 PCS point from Camden is a joke. He should be down were Adam is and they both should be lower than Gogolev (and by more than 0.03). Stephen should not be tied with Koshiro. Stephen should be lower than Koshiro and lower than everyone else who beat him on PCS except Grassl. I seriously don't understand the complaining some had with his Stephen's PCS scores in relation to others. In this field, he lacks against everyone who beat him (including Artur) except for Grassl. He should have beaten Grassl. Koshiro and Artur were too low in comparison to Gumennik who skates at glacial pace and lacks power and the edge work of the others and is the slowest in the top 12 even compared to Stephen who also skates at glacial pace. The PCS scores were baffling :confused2: Savosin was really great so I'm glad he broke 36. I think he executed all the PCS categories well. Camden should have had a much bigger gap on EVERYONE like he did during the JGPF SP. Whatever.

ETA: Alex K should also be down there with Gogolev. His PCS scores were a gift to skating in the last group as was Adam's. Ugh.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Yes there is a problem in juniors as an 18-19 years old wil always be more mature artistically than a 14-15 years old guy. I love both Stepen and Petr but they look like babies in comparison. Daniel is another baby face with long legs, lol. Lovely competition.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

Components are a bit irrelevant in juniors (unfortunately).

In many ways Daniel Grassl looks the male version of Bradie Tennell and they work with the same choreographer for years in fact: he's fine but you can see he can improve a lot, and maybe deserve better programs next season. Benoit is a good choreographer, but maybe Lambiel would be a better choice if you actually want to improve the skating skills.

Step Sequence4

JULLLIEEEEETTTT!
Final Flight
Components are a bit irrelevant in juniors (unfortunately).

In many ways Daniel Grassl looks the male version of Bradie Tennell and they work with the same choreographer for years in fact: he's fine but you can see he can improve a lot, and maybe deserve better programs next season. Benoit is a good choreographer, but maybe Lambiel would be a better choice if you actually want to improve the skating skills.

Benoit also choreographed Kaori’s free this year... so I don’t think it’s a choreographer issue