2022-2023 Skate Canada Challenge - Seniors | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2022-2023 Skate Canada Challenge - Seniors

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
on the contrary, I loved Amy and was thrilled to see her podium... I guess it's a good thing we're not judges :LOL:
oh she is fine... i enjoyed her skating very much... i just don't think that at this level, it's very appropriate to earn a silver medal at Challenge when a skater is missing the hard triples and the big combos... i get that some choose to skate clean and nicely, but I want them to push harder to be a bit more well rounded.

Reverie

On the Ice
poor girl... smiling but truly crying inside... she is tough.. .she will bounce back ! <3
Agree she will bounce back. She did not back down even after that first hard fall. If I counted right, she has three jumps combo passes with a triple jump as the second jump. I think technically the most difficult of the Canadian senior women.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Wow! Unexpected results in this final group of skaters. The favourites crumbled and some underdogs came up the standings.

Congrats to Fiona (she has the genes). I thought she would crumble after she screwed up her opening pass. But, she then went after all those triple jumps. Congrats on an unexpected gold medal 🥇 wow 😮

Amy… @4everchan I’m also on her bandwagon. I enjoyed her program and this was an unexpected silver medal for her. She won BC Sectionals. I should have had her more in my radar. She also surpassed 165. So, I hope Canada sends her to an international event.

Sara-Maude… I thought she should have been first in the free skate. Good comeback bronze medal win.

Amanda Tobin… was fifth… she is okay. Some good triple jumps. But, nothing that stands out.
Justine… horrible falls on her triple flip jumps. Disappointing result for her
Kaiya… that was her worst free skate ever. Four falls. But, that is what happens when you go big, or go home. She went home this time around. She was crying on the inside. But, showed her good sportsmanship by sucking those tears in.

I have no idea who is Canada’s #3 lady. I have no idea who will be sent to 4CC or Junior Worlds. Now moving to the other thread to watch the Junior Girls.

Sackie

Medalist
I have no idea who is Canada’s #3 lady. I have no idea who will be sent to 4CC or Junior Worlds.
But it may come down to whom of the next group after Maddie and Gabby has the Mins to go to these events.
Quite often in the pass Skate Canada has chosen from the age eligible Sr ladies for Jr Worlds - but this year it may be best to send the JR winners.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Wow! Unexpected results in this final group of skaters. The favourites crumbled and some underdogs came up the standings.

Congrats to Fiona (she has the genes). I thought she would crumble after she screwed up her opening pass. But, she then went after all those triple jumps. Congrats on an unexpected gold medal 🥇 wow 😮

Amy… @4everchan I’m also on her bandwagon. I enjoyed her program and this was an unexpected silver medal for her. She won BC Sectionals. I should have had her more in my radar. She also surpassed 165. So, I hope Canada sends her to an international event.

Sara-Maude… I thought she should have been first in the free skate. Good comeback bronze medal win.

Amanda Tobin… was fifth… she is okay. Some good triple jumps. But, nothing that stands out.
Justine… horrible falls on her triple flip jumps. Disappointing result for her
Kaiya… that was her worst free skate ever. Four falls. But, that is what happens when you go big, or go home. She went home this time around. She was crying on the inside. But, showed her good sportsmanship by sucking those tears in.

I have no idea who is Canada’s #3 lady. I have no idea who will be sent to 4CC or Junior Worlds. Now moving to the other thread to watch the Junior Girls.
is there also a requirement about tech content for ladies... i know for next gen they needed to have a +3 combo (2a- and higher plus 3t)... because if they are demanding that, Amy is not eligible.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I have no idea who is Canada’s #3 lady. I have no idea who will be sent to 4CC or Junior Worlds.
But it may come down to whom of the next group after Maddie and Gabby has the Mins to go to these events.
Quite often in the pass Skate Canada has chosen from the age eligible Sr ladies for Jr Worlds - but this year it may be best to send the JR winners.
I think it's still Kaiya. One bad outing doesn't define a skater... Fiona and Justine are just slightly below.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
is there also a requirement about tech content for ladies... i know for next gen they needed to have a +3 combo (2a- and higher plus 3t)... because if they are demanding that, Amy is not eligible.
For Juniors, they must attempt a triple triple. But, no specific content required for Senior Ladies other than surpassing the benchmark scores. Amy has subbed in for Alison nicely. She reminded me of her skating at this event 😝

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Amy landed a very nice triple flip in the short. Why not include in the free?
exactly... and she did attempt the 3Lo... sometimes skater are not too comfortable with some of the jumps so they try "one iffy" jump per program... and they can be different... perhaps, at Nationals, she will remove the loop and try the Flip in both programs since it was more successful or something like that. We need to call the Murphys and ask them.

VickB

On the Ice
I think it's still Kaiya. One bad outing doesn't define a skater... Fiona and Justine are just slightly below.

Just finishing watching ladies free skate.. Fiona and Justine also have much better skating skills and artistry... It was special treat .. saw the short program of dance too... it will take me some time to watch the rest...

Sackie

Medalist
Just rewatched Tobin's short and free and yes she did not have great skates but she still skated well enough that she could have been sent to SCI. She at least might have seen that she can be competitive with international skaters. Which may have her tried harder to improve. I mean it must be discouraging to realise that if you are not one of the top ladies you will be lucky to get 1 international assignment. I single out Tobin because we know her programs were ready and some of the others could not do the GP events since they had done JGPs. And after the results by the CAN men this GP season I am sure some of our ladies couldn't have flopped any worse.

Sackie

Medalist
Rewatching some of the Challenge skates in prep for next week. Back to Amanda. Watching her Free I am confused when I look at the detailed score sheet. What was so wrong with her solo Triple Salchow jump to get such a big -GOE. And also she definitely did a solo 3 Toe yet on the sheet it shows as a double which then didn't count cause she had already done 2. There are no marks for downgraded or underrotated on either jump. With these 2 jumps she might have been 3rd.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Rewatching some of the Challenge skates in prep for next week. Back to Amanda. Watching her Free I am confused when I look at the detailed score sheet. What was so wrong with her solo Triple Salchow jump to get such a big -GOE. And also she definitely did a solo 3 Toe yet on the sheet it shows as a double which then didn't count cause she had already done 2. There are no marks for downgraded or underrotated on either jump. With these 2 jumps she might have been 3rd.
Her solo triple salchow, complete step out.... definitely a big error. and I see a double solo toe... not a triple... and that one was wonky too... wrong timing on the take off.... I am wondering if we are watching the same program. https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8g182j

at around 4:40 or so...

Sackie

Medalist
Yes I watched one on you tube and just noticed it was from Challenge 2022. Which is what I had typed in Amanda Tobin 2022 since it is still 2022. Forgot that the challenge is a year in advance. My bad! Thanks for clearing that up.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yes I watched one on you tube and just noticed it was from Challenge 2022. Which is what I had typed in Amanda Tobin 2022 since it is still 2022. Forgot that the challenge is a year in advance. My bad! Thanks for clearing that up.
no problem :) it was surprising to me that an entire tech panel would have wrongly called a triple as a double... and that nobody would have reacted. What was interesting to watch with Amanda though is that she leans forward a bit on every single jump landing... which is not good for GOE. In the beginning of the program, she was still landing the jumps well.. but in the second half, she seemed too tired.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
no problem :) it was surprising to me that an entire tech panel would have wrongly called a triple as a double... and that nobody would have reacted. What was interesting to watch with Amanda though is that she leans forward a bit on every single jump landing... which is not good for GOE. In the beginning of the program, she was still landing the jumps well.. but in the second half, she seemed too tired.
She was the same way at ONT Sectionals. She was clean and skated five triples and then the second half was a disaster. But, Amanda has potential.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
She was the same way at ONT Sectionals. She was clean and skated five triples and then the second half was a disaster. But, Amanda has potential.
considering how she usually does very well in SPs, maybe it's a stamina thing... She is definitely a good jumper... but seems to fall apart later on.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Well the you tube video that I watched she actually did OK through the whole program - so she can do it.
Stamina can be funny... one year, an athlete, for whatever reason, could simply be less in shape in terms of endurance etc.
Also, after having watched both programs (challenge 2022 and challenge 2023 FP), and only because she is using the same music and layout, it seems to me that she attacked much better in 2023... more speed and confidence... and then ran out of steam. In 2022, she was more cautious all the way through. This is something to consider as well. Skaters have to make sure they pace themselves and save some for the end.