Advice for Ice Dance Program Music | Golden Skate

Advice for Ice Dance Program Music

BunniesSkate

Rinkside
Hi everyone!

Does anyone have any music suggestions for free dance programs? I'm competing in Juvenile or Intermediate starting in the spring. My coach said something "with a strong beat" preferably. Thank you for any thoughts or recommendations!

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Hi everyone!

Does anyone have any music suggestions for free dance programs? I'm competing in Juvenile or Intermediate starting in the spring. My coach said something "with a strong beat" preferably. Thank you for any thoughts or recommendations!
If this isn't a rude question, how old are you? Good music for an adult might be wrong for a young teen and vice versa.

icewhite

Record Breaker
Since you didn't get an answer yet, can you tell a bit more about what you are looking for? I don't have much of a clue about solo ice dance, but if you tell what exactly the requirements are and what your taste is, I might be able to make a few suggestions.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Are you trying to go classical, traditional route or do you want something more modern?

BunniesSkate

Rinkside
Thank you! I'm pretty sure ice dance songs are just a little more rhythmic than freeskate ones. I'm good with classical, but I've always wanted to try something maybe a little Spanish or traditional.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Thank you! I'm pretty sure ice dance songs are just a little more rhythmic than freeskate ones. I'm good with classical, but I've always wanted to try something maybe a little Spanish or traditional.
I hadn't suggested anything yet because I don't know what rules or requirements there may be for ice dance tests in the USA (I'm assuming?), but are they looking for something along the lines of music used for ballroom dance? Those have very definite beats and tempi. If you like the Spanish style, you could Google "music for Latin ballroom dances" and see if any pieces recommended for samba, rumba, cha-cha or tango appeal to you. (Technically the tango in ballroom is classed with Standard dance -- waltz, foxtrot, quickstep, and tango -- while the others are in the Latin dance group, and I've never understood why, but there it is :shrug:.) Do you want instrumental or with vocals? The first easy-to-find choices that come to mind other than music for ballroom dance classes would be the scores of either West Side Story or Man of La Mancha. In both cases I'd say to use the Broadway cast recordings, not the movie versions. There's a wide range of moods in the songs from both shows.

icewhite

Record Breaker
I also thought there were definite beats required.
If that is not so, here are some suggestions of mine:
Lesser used but still mainstream tangos: Gotan Project's Rayuela; Bajofondo, Pa' Bailar.
Movie inspired: Ennio Morricone, Le vent, le cri or just anything by Morricone...
Historia de un amor
From the Frida soundtrack: The Floating Bed, Alcoba Azul, Burning Bed

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Music is music, it's all in how you use it. ;) I'm a former competitive ice dancer and now a pro lol.
I asked about what kind of music you were looking for b/c the rhythm was the next question. But you said free skate, so if it's anything like paired competitive ice dance you are free to do whatever rhythm you want. So would you like suggestions for Latin music?

Last edited:

BunniesSkate

Rinkside
Music is music, it's all in how you use it. ;) I'm a former competitive ice dancer and now a pro lol.
I asked about what kind of music you were looking for b/c the rhythm was the next question. But you said free skate, so if it's anything like paired competitive ice dance you are free to do whatever rhythm you want. So would you like suggestions for Latin music?
Yeah, Latin music is perfect. Or anything else you've heard and thought would be fun to skate to.

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Yeah, Latin music is perfect. Or anything else you've heard and thought would be fun to skate to.
I would go to Spotify and start searching. If you have a latin song you like, click the dots next to it on Spotify, and click Go to Song Radio. If not, do a search for things like best (cha cha/ salsa / samba/ etc) songs.

Here’s a playlist of some of my fave latin songs on Spotify, they won’t all be good for ice dance though: https://spotify.link/z0RRhGG8WDb

icewhite

Record Breaker
There are just so many possibilities. Is pop okay for you? Lyrics? If yes, what kind of lyrics? Would you prefer something current or is something old-fashioned fine? The strongest, most recognizable beats you would usually get in pop of course, or in latin, especially tango. But if you want some variety in rhythm you would likely have to cut and mix a bit. Would you mix and cut or do you prefer one piece of music where you cut start and end at best? Which length do you need? Do you like to do some acting/character or do you prefer more abstract musical interpretation? What does fun mean to you, like, actually fun? Like, Caro Emerald, That Man, would be such a song, a bit silly and old fashioned with some sexual connotation, but with some drive. What about melodramatic, tragic music, is that fun to you? Would you prefer something upbeat, light...
Grimes, Realiti, I think could also be a good choice if you want a very recognizable beat, and although the song is not that current, it might feel current enough. Solange, Losing you would be a more chill song with a still rather strong beat.
If you are looking for something more classical the dances and waltzes would come to mind. I was thinking about the Hungarian dances, Brahms for instance... for a more traditional/folk sound there are accordian versions one could use. And they sound "fun" as in upbeat. Or how about for instance Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody?

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Suggestions.. some with lyrics, some without

Last edited:

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
No suggestions from me but one very important piece of advice. Make sure that whatever piece of music you choose, it makes you actually want to dance. Enough that you can't hear it without wanting to spontaneously dance to it. Apart from the fact that this feeling will come over to the judges/audience when you skate it, it also helps a lot if you forget what you're doing...