Andrew Torgashev | Page 22 | Golden Skate

Andrew Torgashev

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Thank you @skatingfan4ever. I recall hearing about Andrews great FS last year but couldn't watch, and now here it is and it is sublime. I liked watching this year as well, don't get me wrong, but what a skate!
You are very welcome, @ladyjane! With zero World Standings Points at that time, Andrew was the first man to skate in the Nationals SP last year (of 18 skaters). His score held up for most of the event and he ended up in 5th. Then, in the Free Skate he landed his 4T (for the only time all season, sadly) and ended up with a completely clean skate. He won the Free Skate (it was very close, but he won it) and finished 3rd overall. You are right - what a skate! It always excites me when I rewatch it! :) His goal was Top 10, but he got the podium instead! Also, his reaction both on the ice and to his score is priceless. I love seeing moments like that.

@Absurda, thanks for the reminders of Andrew's injuries and his whirlwind time last year. I obviously gave more meaning to the 4CC results than USFS did. That's okay. Plus, Andrew's state of health was known. Sometimes I try to make sense of certain decisions USFS makes, but I shouldn't. They're the ones deciding and we don't know all the reasons why. I hope no alternates are needed at Worlds, and that everyone gets/stays healthy, Andrew included. I so enjoy watching many of the US Men. They're a fun group with diverse styles and strengths.

Last edited:

Absurda

Rinkside
With zero World Standings Points at that time, Andrew was the first man to skate in the Nationals SP last year (of 18 skaters). His score held up for most of the event and he ended up in 5th. Then, in the Free Skate he landed his 4T (for the only time all season, sadly) and ended up with a completely clean skate. He won the Free Skate (it was very close, but he won it) and finished 3rd overall. You are right - what a skate! It always excites me when I rewatch it! :) His goal was Top 10, but he got the podium instead!

I've read Jackie Wong's notes about Andrew's trainings during USnat23. Almost all quads were clean there. If you look at those training sessions... his medal was even logical.

Trainings during the WC23, SA23 and USnat24 were different. And we know the reason why.

But I believe Andrew will find a way to be healthy

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
I downloaded his Nationals programs last year, through VK links I found on GS. Good thing I found them, because I had completely missed the opportunity to see his SP. Here are both programs, and a bonus surprise, with no commentary at all. Soak it in and enjoy! :)

Bonus: SP Warmup - Andrew's footwork is divine, with any music or no music.

Dropbox does have a download button, if you want your own copies.
Quoting myself to add that here is Andrew's gala from 2023 Nationals. I did not upload this but, miraculously, it has stayed up for a year. Sorry to say, you do have to deal with/ignore T, T, & J. Just focus on the music and what Andrew is doing. It is so wonderful. And if you watched the JGP/Junior Worlds a few years ago, you may recognize the program.

This performance is particularly meaningful and special to me. I watched the Nationals coverage backwards last year. This was before I realized how much more enjoyable Peacock is than NBC. I had heard that Andrew did well. My first thought when I read fans' impressions of his SP on GS was, "Wow, I didn't even know Andrew Torgashev was competing here!" I remembered him from his 2020 Nationals SP (he scored a 97 with a clean program that included a 4T) but I never checked up on him after that. I was extremely behind on watching 2023 Nationals and had decided to watch in order of least favorite to most favorite discipline. (That's why I had to dig around for Andrew's SP; by the time I got around to watching NBC, everything had disappeared from Peacock, and Andrew's SP was not broadcast on NBC because he skated too early in the competition). Anyway, the first broadcast that I watched was the gala, and I noticed Andrew immediately. Every note of music was important and acknowledged with either a jump, a spin, or choreography. It was very nuanced, more than a typical gala. The music was not simply background music; it was an important part of the picture Andrew was painting for us. (He paints off the ice too, by the way). I was entranced, despite T, T, & J. It got me super excited to watch both of his other programs, which I did as soon as I could. And the rest is history. I was absolutely hooked. But it started with this gala. :love::love::love:

As amazing as this is, the version he skated at 2019 Peggy Fleming Trophy is even more amazing.

Last edited:

Absurda

Rinkside
It got me super excited to watch both of his other programs, which I did as soon as I could. And the rest is history. I was absolutely hooked. But it started with this gala. :love::love::love:

😭😭😭
I'm remembering how my friends and I watched the men's FS and the medal ceremony at USnat23.

Here was a deep night of Monday 😅 But we couldn't sleep.

It was incredible to see Andrew's brilliant skate after so many years of silence and emptiness ...such powerful feelings.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While we are strolling down memory lane....

I "came back" to watching figure skating in early 2014, thanks to another skater ;). Learning that there were streams and competitions for juniors: wow! I didn't know that. So in the 2014-105 season, I started watching juniors as well as seniors.

A totally possessed, totally charming 13 year old boy won US junior Nats. I was smitten. :love:I can't find the Nats performances, but here is Andrew skating at 2015 Worlds:

Didn't start the FF until two years later because I did not want to jinx a 13 year old kid. But finally I got tired of waiting. ;)

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While researching, I found a YouTube channel for "A Torgashev", which only has a few videos and has not been updated in years. It has competitions for baby Andrew at nine and ten years old.:love2:

(Forgive me if these have been posted before, my memory is not the best. ;) )

start around 3:00 for Andrew

interview with 11 year old Andrew (and Ilona) on local TV:

Absurda

Rinkside
While researching, I found a YouTube channel for "A Torgashev", which only has a few videos and has not been updated in years. It has competitions for baby Andrew at nine and ten years old.:love2:

So cute videos 😄😊

I've seen this channel before, but I'm not nosy 😆 So I just watched the videos now.
Thank you!

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States

(Forgive me if these have been posted before, my memory is not the best. ;) )

start around 3:00 for Andrew

interview with 11 year old Andrew (and Ilona) on local TV:

Even that young he had that amazing posture and spins and footwork on the ice, as a juvenile. And in the news piece, it's cute how his mom says "he's pretty good." ;) I kept replaying the ending of the news piece, not to hear the newsperson, but to watch Andrew's footwork on the side! Beautiful! :love:

On another note, when Andrew said he wanted to go to the Olympics in 2018, I thought, "Child, you have no idea the hard road that is in front of you." Because he truly did not know. Nobody does. What a roller coaster it has turned out to be for him. But I'm happy he's still fighting, through all the injuries and struggles. May he get fully healthy and then stay that way. :pray:

I have stuff from the present to post here, but it will take time to get it ready. Stay tuned. :popcorn:

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Regarding the 2015 videos, my goodness, he has always had that ability to match his movement to the music. Not just the ability, but clearly the desire. That level of choreographic intention and commitment seems rare for a 13-year-old. Obviously his programs were well-choreographed too, but that only goes so far because the skater has to execute and perform the choreography.

I tend to easily remember the music Andrew skates to because the quality of movement in relation to the music is so memorable. And the skating skills are DIVINE!!! I think his strong skating skills allow for his choreographic freedom.

In fact, someone wrote these two paragraphs in the 4CC Mens FS competition thread, talking about Yuma, but for me the sentiments apply to Andrew also:

"As a skater he is able to express the music because he owns the technique - he doesn't have to be careful. Because he is so secure in elements and skating skills he has the head space and freedom to concentrate on interpreting the music throughout, his intensity is there from the start and does not drop before or after the elements, he doesn't lose power in the end. he doesn't turn his head already in the direction of the jump a minute before.

"For me, he's thrilling to watch because I feel like someone takes me on a flight with them. It's very freeing and satisfying to watch someone on the ice with such control, ease, power, glide and flow, cheating nothing, but with a deep understanding of what he's doing."

FSluvr

Spectator
Congrats to all the skaters at Worlds!! Now that the season is over, I'm curious about next year. :) I can't remember how the selection process works for Grand Prix. Does anyone know if Andrew will/might have a Grand Prix opportunity or two the coming season?

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@FSluvr, I admit that the GP selections have always been a black art for me, so I don't know, but I would like to. :)

Of course Andrew is always eligible for a Skate America host spot, but surely he must be eligible now for "regular" GP selections.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@FSluvr, I admit that the GP selections have always been a black art for me, so I don't know, but I would like to. :)

Of course Andrew is always eligible for a Skate America host spot, but surely he must be eligible now for "regular" GP selections.
He is 25th seasons best, top 24 guaranteed one spot, and if somebody retires or isn't going to compete on grand prix, I think he moves up? World ranking he is #59 on world ranking. I think he will get one and hopefully Skate America.